Your opinion on human cloning/stem cell research

Any discussions that are non-rtcw/et related go here.

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Should human cloning/stem cell research be outlawed?

The UN should make both an international offence.
6%
The UN should make human cloning an international offence.
17%
The US should make both illigal within US borders.
6%
The US should make human cloning illigal within US borders.
11%
Science needs to advance. Cloning should stay legal. Even open heart surgery was called playing god at one time.
61%

Total votes: 18

-[x]- badman

yeah true

Post by -[x]- badman »

hmm very true but they wouldnt be alike in everyway only in appearance.

so i guess your right
are u ready to die!
ZarkingFardwarks

Post by ZarkingFardwarks »

let's clone a version of ph0g that doesn't have an ego; that'd be the hugest success of modern science :jump:

i'm for cloning as long as it's not misused i guess. it's certainly interesting.

-zf
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

Can you imagine?

Phºggett Phºggett Phºggett Phºggett Phºg Phºggett Phºggett Phºggett Phºggett
Be seeing you!
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

regarding playing god...

opposition to vaccination, medication, and medical treatment in the 1800's and 1900's came from religious groups who argued that by healing the sick and treating injuries, doctors were "playing god", and argued that doctors should be outlawed because they operate "against god's will".

even today religious groups use the same argument, and many children die of easily treatable diseases as a result.

also recall the strong opposition by religious groups against artificial insemination and other medical techniques for infertile couples, with the same arguments of "playing god".

i see the opposition against cloning as equally stupid and ignorant.
Black Adder

Post by Black Adder »

Didn't we learn anything from those poor bastards that worked for Ingen? Why you want to clone someone anyway? Already tuff enough to get parking.

But seriously stem cell is very good thing for science.
Ph0g

Post by Ph0g »

lol, actualy black adder did hit on a good point when he said its tough enough to get parking. As it is, population is a problem, and it can only get worse, adding more methods to add to the population will make it even more so.

So umm, what are we gonna do with all the people! Give hunters a license to kill humans? :D. Send them up in space stations, I think once I heard about trying to make mars a humanly inhabitable environment so that we could send peoples up there or something. Or maybe they just wanted to build big ass domes with our atmosphere.

We have plenty of stupid idiots in the world, let's try just to clone the non-morons :D.
I am Ph0g, you are not.
CorpseGrinder

Post by CorpseGrinder »

Stem cell research is doing some pretty awesome things and is, in my opinion, a totally different topic unassciated with cloning. I am against cloning for the simple fact that we are overpopulating the natural way, why introduce more people just for the sake of science. Oh, and Gotenks, identical twins aren't clones they are a more accurate version of a replicate than clones are and is done by chance naturally, not in a lab. Don't get me wrong though, science is cool.
I am a loser that can't handle commitment.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

CorpseGrinder wrote:Stem cell research is doing some pretty awesome things and is, in my opinion, a totally different topic unassciated with cloning. I am against cloning for the simple fact that we are overpopulating the natural way, why introduce more people just for the sake of science.
actually most stem cell research involves the same process of the initial part of cloning... an egg cell is emptied out and genetic material is implanted into the cell... it divides into a blastocyst and then scientists tear it appart for the stem cells.
oh and i think that it should be introduced as a form of infertility treatment, not meerly as a way for science to produce humans.
CorpseGrinder wrote:Oh, and Gotenks, identical twins aren't clones they are a more accurate version of a replicate than clones are and is done by chance naturally, not in a lab. Don't get me wrong though, science is cool.
how are they more acurate??? the only major difference is the age, there is also a possibility of mitochondrial DNA being different but noone knows what this leads to yet.
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Ph0g

Post by Ph0g »

Who here has played parasite eve?
I am Ph0g, you are not.
CorpseGrinder

Post by CorpseGrinder »

ok, maybe I worded it wrong. Stem cell research is good stuff and though the process is similar or almost the same as cloning, it's useage is to heal the ailing. Cloning, once again in my opinion, only makes a small earth even smaller by adding to it's already existing overpopulation problem.

As far as the differences between clones and twins, well time will provide us with that information, it's all theory at present.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

CorpseGrinder wrote:Cloning, once again in my opinion, only makes a small earth even smaller by adding to it's already existing overpopulation problem.
yeah, but sex is a much bigger problem under that criteria, so it would make sense to outlaw sex rather than cloning. i dont see cloning as ever posing a threat to the population explosion created by underage teens in the bible belt states... so why worry about cloning?
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

WeblionX wrote:Then they'll be a price on people. How much are you worth? Well for now, for only $9999.95 you can be cloned and replaced!
one more quick comment on this idea... cloning as a form of reproduction, is very similar to invitro fertilization, and they have a price on that... without these treatments some people couldn't have kids, why not allow even more people to have the option? one major advantage of cloning over invitro fertilization is that there is a much less chance for multiple births, such as the septuplets and octuplets
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Gyro Gearloose

Send In The Clones

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

Last edited by Gyro Gearloose on Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be seeing you!
Black Adder

Post by Black Adder »

:lol: Sev Trek
CorpseGrinder

Post by CorpseGrinder »

bani wrote:
CorpseGrinder wrote:Cloning, once again in my opinion, only makes a small earth even smaller by adding to it's already existing overpopulation problem.
yeah, but sex is a much bigger problem under that criteria, so it would make sense to outlaw sex rather than cloning. i dont see cloning as ever posing a threat to the population explosion created by underage teens in the bible belt states... so why worry about cloning?
I'm not worried about cloning. As a matter of fact I can't think of one thing I am worried about, except for Fern's venom. (wheeew, glad he's on my side.) And yea, I totally agree about sex being a bigger problem, but get real, some things we can regulate and some we refuse to. Having sex is all some humans seem to know how to do while the rest of us pay for it.