windows shutdown help

Any discussions that are non-rtcw/et related go here.

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

TEAMMATE-8163

windows shutdown help

Post by TEAMMATE-8163 »

ok i know this is lame.. but i have been all over my pc and i cannot find the setting to enable a quick shutdown (i dont want to have to hit my power button... and yes i know it should automatically happen if my motherboard supports it). my motherboard is an MSI running with an nforce chipset running on windows xp. is there a setting somewhere that will let me force a quick shutdown? there must be a setting somewhere i cannot find. i find it hard to believe that my chipset is incompatible with quick shutdown.. it was manufactured at most a year ago. im hoping that its gay windows and not some other problem.

btw i have every driver update i can possibly get for this comp. i even checked for bios updates for my vid card and mobo....none are needed.

help?
I-M nUbee

Post by I-M nUbee »

You mean to atuomatticaly shut your computer down with one button? the way I quickly shut my computer down is to hold the power button untill it shuts off. Is that what you need to know?
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

What exactly do you mean by quick shutdown?
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
TEAMMATE-8163

Post by TEAMMATE-8163 »

no, thats not what... i want i want to be able to hit the shutdown button in the start menu and have the comp shut off without me having to hit the physical button on my tower.
I-M nUbee

Post by I-M nUbee »

STEP 1: push the Start button
STEP 2: push the "Turn Off Computer" button
STEP 3: push the "Turn Off" button
*GASP* OMG your computer is magically turning off.
TEAMMATE-8163

Post by TEAMMATE-8163 »

my 2 reasons for not wanting to have to push the button...

1. when i want to leave the pc, i dont feel like waiting the extra 10 seconds for it to shutdown so i can turn it off.

2. i have the shutdown time set to 4 seconds so if i accidentally hit it the button i dont kill whatever im doing. its a pain to hold the button down to shut it off.

dont post bullshit unless you have a fix, it was a simple question that i want an answer to.
I-M nUbee

Post by I-M nUbee »

Well SORRY for trying to help you. I'm not some computer freak-know-it-all. I dont know how to change shutting down settings. Go talk to Radio Shack. They know everything.
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

That is a BIOS configuration setting. You can usually access the BIOS during bootup by pressing the <delete> key during the memory test. Check for a subheading called "power" and see if quick shutdown is a listed function.
* BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU CHANGE *
Changing certain settings in the BIOS can cause terminal computer problems. If you accidentally change the wrong settings, you are usually safe selecting "Return to Power-up defaults" or "BIOS defaults" setting.
Be seeing you!
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

*snort* Radio Shack? *giggle* Know everything? BAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! Hahehehh... Woo... That's funny.
Anyway.. Sounds like Windows is fucked up. You may want to try reinstalling your mobo drivers.
TEAMMATE-8163

Post by TEAMMATE-8163 »

thanks gyro, but i cant find the setting in my bios. trust me on this, i already have it tweaked. i thought that was the problem, but i cant find the setting. like i said i have all the latest drivers and ive reinstalled them many a time. i just put together the comp myself about a month ago, and so far this is the only thing that has been bugging me. i never got it to work.
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

Your mobo may not support it. I'd check the manual, though they're never any help. You may be able to find the option you need in the Xteq Systems Setup (3rd party configuration program) for Windows. I'm not quite sure what the site is, but you can probably just google for Xteq Setup.
Boco

Post by Boco »

You might wanna take this up with MSI. I know what you mean. You shut down your computer and then 10 seconds later you get a "It is now safe to turn off your computer" message. My old 80486/66 had that. Except I changed the screen to say "It is not safe to turn off your computer. Doing so will result in an electrical shock." Ah... Win95. The good ol' days.... including the fun option to close the Start button... heh.

MSI homepage:
http://www.msicomputer.com/
<[av]bani> anything which causes boco pain or suffering is \o/
<[av]bani> guns are cool. just saying the word 'gun' gives me a raging hardon.
<[av]bani> DO NOT MOCK HAPPY FUN BANI
<[av]bani> do not run over happy fun bani

* [NW]reyalP thinks he should write a book... "IP Law for fucking morons"
<KingJackaL> haha
<KingJackaL> I'd buy it : D
<WeblionX> I'd scan every page and put it up as a torrent!
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

i think it's having to do with os and bios settings, when i got my hp i could either hit the power button on the computer and it'd go through the shutdown sequence or i could go to start shutdown and it'd do the same thing, however when i fdisked, formatted and put my own xp/me on it it don't do it anymore.
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Black Adder

Post by Black Adder »

Well since no-one has mentioned I will also point out that the case has to support it as well. More specifically how does your "power button" work. Is it hard on/off or soft where button press does whatever depending on what it is currently doing (i.e. on/off/suspend etc). If you got a case that only does on/off with power that could be it.

Otherwise sounds like one of those tech support calls where MB manufactur says "Better call Microsoft, sounds like Windows". Call Microshite and get "Better call your MB manufactur......
TEAMMATE-8163

Post by TEAMMATE-8163 »

its gay. ive tried so many things. damn that wretched "it is now safe to turn off your computer" message :evil: