NEW Server running behind a Belkin Router - few questions...

Discussion for Admins of Banimod servers.<br>
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

TeufelHund

NEW Server running behind a Belkin Router - few questions...

Post by TeufelHund »

First I would like to say thanks to Bani for making such a killer mod. I have played RTCW for awhile (SP), then when I went to (MP) I liked the comradre of the other players and clans. When I first saw banimod, my jaw dropped and I started to drool....way kewl. I play it every day.
Second, I would like to think all the folks here on the forums for the help and assistance that they have given me.....trust me, it has been alot...hehe

Now, I have finally gotten my server running from behind a Belkin router which wasn't easy to figure out, but well worth the trouble. If anyone wants to know how I did it, message me or post here in the forums and I will let them know.
The only problems that I have noticed so far, is that because of the way that I have to set the server up, it wont list in the Internet listings in RTCW. Thankfully, (somehow, I am not sure) it was listed in the Server Listings here on Bani's site yesterday and we had a handful of people stop in and play & chat for awhile....thanks Bani...not sure how you did it, but thanks, it was much appreciated. But now, today, it is not showing up even in the Server Listings here on Bani's site, and it is still not being listed in the Internet listing in RTCW....can anyone help?
I am trying to get the server to be listed in the Internet listings in RTCW and also try to get it listed again here on Bani's site.

Also, my wife and I are working on a new map just for Banimod GoldRush...should be done within the next couple of months.

=MBE=Teufel / TeufelHund
What man is, GOD once was. What GOD is, man will become!
=SWAT=Kenny

Post by =SWAT=Kenny »

//Master servers
seta sv_master1 "master3.idsoftware.com"
seta sv_master2 "master0.gamespy.com"
seta sv_master3 "wolfmaster.idsoftware.com"
seta sv_master4 "clanservers.net"

add that 2 your config. if your server is not listed restart it. if it is a dedicated server and it is setup to restart if it crashes use the banimod emptyserverquit cvar.
tihs hsidlihc fo eceip a is yefink

If alexjones8194 had a penis it would be called "useless." Reason being is all it would be good for is him stepping on it.
TeufelHund

Post by TeufelHund »

Thanks for the fast reply Kenny. I already have that in my server.cfg file. The problem is that the puter that the server is running on is behind a Belkin router and just to get it to configure for the server (port forwarding through the Virtual Server settings) and the network, so that people from the internet and not just the LAN can play, it won't list the server on the master servers. I have a small wolfmp.bat file that I use to run the server and I have to put the ip of the machine (ie; 192.168.2.?) for the set net_ip. I believe that this is the problem for the server not being listed on the master servers. But if I try to set the WAN ip in the 'set net_ip' then the router wont do the port forwarding, and I get winsock errors out the wazoo.
Is there anyway that I can send the master servers my WAN ip address so that the server will list with the other servers? Also, do you know why yesterday the server was listed on the server list of Bani's site, but it isn't today? I haven't changed anything but a banner, and now it is not being listed.
Thanks again for the help Kenny. By the way, it was on your servers that I first experienced banimod, and it made my mouth drop...I thought that was so kewl.

=MBE=Teufel / TeufelHund
duke'ku

Post by duke'ku »

Go to your router's configuration page and look for port forwarding. It should be pretty simple, you just need to have the router redirect port 27960 to the serving computer. Then, set your net_ip to your external address.
TeufelHund

Post by TeufelHund »

I already have the router configured properly for port forwarding. That is not the problem. The problem, is that I am not being listed with the master servers. I was listed with the server list here on the banimod website, but now I am not being listed there either. I am on DSL with a dynamic IP address. Since the WAN IP has changed, I am now not even being listed on the server lists here on the banimod site. I checked my server.cfg file and nothing changed except for a correction to a banner.
As for the port forwarding, it is simple enough to setup, but, because of the way that Belkin utilizes the port forwarding, to be able to have people from the internet come onto the server to play, I have to specify the local address (LAN IP) of the computer running the server in the net_ip address. I know that by doing this, it is not reporting my WAN IP address to the master servers and therby not allowiing them to add me to the list. But, that is the only way to allow people from the internet to play on the server. It is a catch 22. I can run it, but nobody can see it. At least the first day, yesterday, it was being seen on the banimod server list, but now today nothing.
The question is this...is there a way to submit the WAN IP to the master servers other than seta sv_master1 "whatever"? I already have those in the server.cfg file, but it still does not post on the internet listing in the game.
As far as I know, I am the only one that has been able to get a server running behind a Belkin router. I should have went with a Linksys, but Belking gave me the router for free, so I am not complaining. 8)

=MBE=Teufel / TeufelHund
Ohayden

Post by Ohayden »

It's not reporting your local IP and it is reporting your WAN IP. I never heard of a routing wanting to report a local IP. It's asking you the local IP so it can redirect from the Internet to your internal net.

I think the problem is with your "dynamic" IP. Maybe it's not staying long enough to be picked up by the master servers and once it changes it's not re-sending it.

In order to run a dedicated server and have the master servers list you, they need to know where you are. That's why a static IP is practically required.

Although I heard of people doing it with a "DDNS" Dynamic DNS server. Check out this thread: Here

Good luck.
Ohayden
TeufelHund

Post by TeufelHund »

Thanks Ohayden. I am now using Dynu software to fix the dynamic ip issue, it is midnightblue.dynu.com:27960 for those that want to try it out. I am still having a problem getting the server to list in the in-game browser though. And it still is not being listed here on the banimod site. Any ideas on how to fix those issues? Those are the last couple of problems that I am having. I am pretty sure that if I can get just one fixed, then the other would be no problem. I would really like for it to be posted in the in-game browser for others to see and be able to join.
Thanks again for all the help and support. You guys are the greatest.

=MBE=Teufel / TeufelHund
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

Your ISP may be filtering the packets out. For example, an ISP in Pennsylvania (Spelling?) blocks all uploads from any P2P program. I wouldn't be suprised if your ISP is filtering those master server update connections out.
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
TeufelHund

Post by TeufelHund »

I've thought of that too, but I have tried hooking my connection straight through to the DSL modem and bypassing the router and it works just fine...I believe it is my router. I am going to try and reset the router to see if that works...if it does....then I will be getting rid fo the Belkin router, and more than likely going with a Linksys......Just in case...keep your ears open for me for one at a good price...hehe.....Thanks Weblion

=MBE=Teufel / Teufelhund

P.S. I have the server running at the following address: midnightblue.dynu.com:27960 or you can try 63.167.48.179:27960
PLEASE any and all, come to the server to see if you can logon for one and if you can't then please post what happened when you tried. I f you can logon, then stay awhile and play and have fun...I open to any suggestioins to make the server better....thanks.
=SWAT=Kenny

Post by =SWAT=Kenny »

linksys is just as frustrating.

i prefer netgear. my servers are at an isp however my home computers are behind a netgear router. it has 2 interfaces. one u can telnet to and one is a webpage. the webpage is limited but it works just fine.

linksys is a pain in the arse to be frank. it is a bitch to get msn's file transfer to work thru it as well as other protocols.
tihs hsidlihc fo eceip a is yefink

If alexjones8194 had a penis it would be called "useless." Reason being is all it would be good for is him stepping on it.
-[x]- badman

Post by -[x]- badman »

actually linksys is easy if you can't firgure how to use it then lol for you.TeufelHund do you have a firewall.if so check your netbios port 137 and unblock the outgoing connections then your server will appear.if you need further help contact me. 8)
are u ready to die!
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

I don't think he'd need to allow netbios out, but if a server does, that's one big hole for Win machines. On the subject of routers, I have an older SMC (wireless/4port). It has a setting for "virtual servers" so you can redirect traffic to a certain computer, which keeps the port open for just that one computer. Also, you may want to put that computer in the DMZ (zone). Check your router for a DMZ option. If there is one, make sure it points to the server.
TeufelHund

Post by TeufelHund »

I have the Belkin F5D5230-4 4-port router. It has the Virtual Servers setting for port forwarding, and it also has the DMZ. I have tried both. I truly believe though that it is the router that is the cause of all the problems. I have set the computer that is running the server directly connected to the dsl modem and everything works fine. I put it back on the router and problems all over again. I have set the port forwarding correctly. .Heck, I even went so far as to RTFM and then call tech support, which they then escalated to Level 2 Tech Support which had me reset everything to the way I had it set in the first place and then told me that it was working properly. I am going to trash the Belkin Routers this weekend and send them back to Belkin in pieces, and then purchase another router and hub. I will try it all over again. Keep your fingers crossed that everything will work out alright. And if you could, keep your eyes crossed also if we ever play together...I am not that good and need all the help I can get......lol.
Thanks everyone.

=MBE=Teufel / TeufelHund

P.S. What is the new features of 1.1.51? Or is it just some bug fixes? I have it running on my server already and it seems to be working pretty stable so far. No bugs yet.
-[x]- Surge

Post by -[x]- Surge »

I don't think he'd need to allow netbios out, but if a server does, that's one big hole for Win machines.
do you want to get smacked or something.what you said was sooo damn noobish it wasn't funny.if you reread above i said outgoing only.nobody can connect to an outgoing connection.you just keep the incoming block also if the router has a hardware firewall they are not getting in anyway.so before you reply read. :evil:
Please visit our site it has a brand new look

http://www.x-clansoldiers.com/

please visit and join our forums if you want to stop by and hang out.
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

Yeah, I tend to skip over parts. But that's just me. :sleep: