98SE vs. Xp

Any discussions that are non-rtcw/et related go here.

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

I really don't think the CPU is burning - the "reported" temperature fluctuations are too rapid and too brief - like I said: I don't see how the CPU could go from 25C to 137C to 25C in under a second - while the fan is observed and registering as running perfectly - at 2836 RPM!
I think it's the motherboard and/or the power supply - and I'm leaning toward the motherboard.

By the way - I lowered the AGP port to 1x - no effect!
Be seeing you!
TEAMMATE-8163

Post by TEAMMATE-8163 »

Gyro Gearloose wrote: at 2836 RPM!
ha...most case fans spin at about 2700rpm. something is wrong there man. if your fan were realy spinning at that speed you would have had a cooked processor long ago. id say the board is reporting wrong values.
SwERvE

Post by SwERvE »

Gyro Gearloose wrote:I really don't think the CPU is burning
It isnt that the CPU would be burning, just that when the mother board is adjusted for certain voltages to accent the processor and expansion ports. You can get some very undesireable effects by using the wrong power supply. Such as video problems, random shtudowns, or just overall instability. Again, contact your motherboard manufacturer. It is extremely rare to get an actual faulty peice of hardware. It is almost always user error if you have problems.
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

TEAMMATE-8163 wrote:
Gyro Gearloose wrote: at 2836 RPM!
ha...most case fans spin at about 2700rpm. something is wrong there man. if your fan were realy spinning at that speed you would have had a cooked processor long ago. id say the board is reporting wrong values.
What's wrong with 2836? You're only talking about a 5% difference - that's probably well within normal tolerances.

Besides, I just checked the fan - it's running at 2812 now - and it supposedly spiked up in speed to >6000 30-seconds ago - a relative impossibility!
Last edited by Gyro Gearloose on Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be seeing you!
TEAMMATE-8163

Post by TEAMMATE-8163 »

SwERvE wrote:
You can get some very undesireable effects by using the wrong power supply.
wrong power supply? the BIOS controls all the cpu voltages and crap, not the power supply. an atx powersupply is an atx powersupply. just make sure its at least 300w. dude if a smell is coming from his pc something must be wrong.

dude there is a difference between a case fan and a cpu fan. most cpu fans run upwards of 5000 rpm. there is no way that your cpu fan is running that slow...
heh that may be the source of your probs. your getting incorrect temps but the fan speed is correct. if the fan speed is correct then your processor is undercolled and that might cause a smell.
Last edited by TEAMMATE-8163 on Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwERvE

Post by SwERvE »

TEAMMATE-8163 wrote:wrong power supply? the BIOS controls all the cpu voltages and crap, not the power supply. an atx powersupply is an atx powersupply. just make sure its at least 300w. dude if a smell is coming from his pc something must be wrong.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Tec ... 76,00.html

I had this problem with 3 of my computers... if you dont have correct powersupply it will screw up your bios too, therefor it nulligates any software configuration. It wouldnt suprise me if the new Intel processors were this picky as well.
Last edited by SwERvE on Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TEAMMATE-8163

Post by TEAMMATE-8163 »

the powersupply debate is just like the RAM debate, its a fat chance that you will buy a powersupply that wont work with your processor.
SwERvE

Post by SwERvE »

The reason RAM is more forgiving is that there are only 3 or 4 major ram manufacturers in the world. Many more people make power supplies. So it leaves more room for error.
TEAMMATE-8163

Post by TEAMMATE-8163 »

if a power supply isnt AMD or INTEL compatible, then what is it compatible with?
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

SwERvE wrote:
It isnt that the CPU would be burning, just that when the mother board is adjusted for certain voltages to accent the processor and expansion ports.
Vcore = 1.675V. You'd have to see what it is doing:
Showing large spikes - down in various voltages, up in temperatures AND fan speeds - FOR very short periods (<1 sec.), with no consistency:

The CPU fan supposedly speeds up - although I don't hear any change, with no associated change in CPU temp. All sorts of power spikes, involving almost every possible combination of voltages: 12V+, but not 12V-, 12V+ and 1.65V, 5V- and 3.3V+ - all sorts of odd combinations of short-term incorrect readings, but never more than 2-3 variables changing at the same time (of 9 total variables - 6 voltages, 1 fan, 2 temperature).

What the hell, it is only a PIII-733 - a few years old. I think I'll change out parts 1-at-a-time (sort of) - starting with a new-new power supply; then motherboard/CPU/RAM; then video card, then....
...Who knows?
Be seeing you!
TEAMMATE-8163

Post by TEAMMATE-8163 »

if your comp does shut off or restart unexpectedly id go for a new power supply first. btw you might as well get a new case with the power supply, for the cost its worth it.

*sniff sniff* i smell a total rebuild....
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

Update - 3/10/02:

Well, it wasn't the power supply - I tried a new one tonight, with the same result. My next attempt will be much more expensive and more complex: motherboard + CPU + memory + hard drive + O/S (to XP). All at once!

That will probably sideline me for at least a few days.

Don't throw any parties without me! :cry:
Be seeing you!
Knifey

Post by Knifey »

Shit, i see at fry's electronics (if you dont have this where you live, its a discount electronic store) for like a p4 2.0Ghz + motherboard: $250
Then it has dirt cheap memory. Like only 256mb pc133 for $5
yag si yennek
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

Knifey wrote:Shit, i see at fry's electronics
Ahhhhhhhhh! The place many of us love to hate!
Be seeing you!
Knifey

Post by Knifey »

yah. I love that place! Well, no i hate it!
yag si yennek