feature request

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

alexjones8194

feature request

Post by alexjones8194 »

how about if admins can max out ppls skills of their choosing? oh an for rtcw how about getting rid of medilock and making it so that u cant tap out until like 3 seconds before u spawn.
kenny stinks
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

its fun to deny players the satisfaction of a gib though. if someone drops a nade or starts shooting my corpse, ill tap out so they have wasted ammo :D
I-M nUbee

Post by I-M nUbee »

thats why i always knife them.. its more fun anyway, to stab them to death. :lol: And its even better when g_excessive is on
Boco

Post by Boco »

What I like to do is pull out my knife and crouch over them. They will kick out and I can continue on my way not wasting my ammo or time trying to gib them. The best way to control enemy reviving. Of course, sometimes people like to be gibbed I guess, so I have to kill them...
<[av]bani> anything which causes boco pain or suffering is \o/
<[av]bani> guns are cool. just saying the word 'gun' gives me a raging hardon.
<[av]bani> DO NOT MOCK HAPPY FUN BANI
<[av]bani> do not run over happy fun bani

* [NW]reyalP thinks he should write a book... "IP Law for fucking morons"
<KingJackaL> haha
<KingJackaL> I'd buy it : D
<WeblionX> I'd scan every page and put it up as a torrent!
Majikthise

Post by Majikthise »

Who is this directed to alex? Do you think bani made ET too? And not being able to tap out the three seconds before the respawn timer resets is a horrible idea (big surprise). What if the medic dies before they can revive? What if you die by yourself with two seconds left to respawn? For the love of jebus, use what's left of your brain alex.
alexjones8194

Post by alexjones8194 »

then if medic dies then he can tap out when it gets to 3 2 or 1 secs till respawn. maybe have it a 5
Majikthise wrote:Who is this directed to alex? Do you think bani made ET too? And not being able to tap out the three seconds before the respawn timer resets is a horrible idea (big surprise). What if the medic dies before they can revive? What if you die by yourself with two seconds left to respawn? For the love of jebus, use what's left of your brain alex.
kenny stinks
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

i tap out early if i dont want the medic to bother trying to revive me, eg if im in too dangerous of an area or if im doomed, eg someone tossed a nade on my corpse and the medic doesnt know about it. all those revive icons can distract medics too easily.

mediclock is there since if a medic locks you, he has already made the decision to revive you, so locking you out of tapping out prevents him from wasting his effort if he does manage to reach you.
Ph0g

Post by Ph0g »

Alex is just jealous that I got my idea implemented and no one ever bothers considering his insane proposals, :).
I am Ph0g, you are not.
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

Heh Bani

First time posting here, so Hello Everyone...

I see you have an E.T. forum, does that mean you are planning an E.T. mod? Or does the fact the source code is not available mean you can't? (forgive my ignorance, I know fuck all about these things).

If you can/are planning a Mod, the biggest single feature you could add, IMO, is a method of either switching off the XP system, or adding cvars to determine at what score each level is achieved, giving Admins the ability to effectively turn it off (by making the scores impossibly high), or starting everyone off at a set level by setting the scores for the first few levels to zero, and the remainder impossibly high, etc.

If you could do this it would make E.T. infinately more viable for Clan games. I can see a lot of RTCW Clans giving E.T. a miss because of the XP system.

(hope I don't need to explain why XP sucks big time for Clan games, but obviously I'd be glad to do so if anyone's got any doubts).

Ph0g

Post by Ph0g »

I don't see why it's a big problem for clan games, if they are all there from the start they should all grow at the same pace. Building up XP becomes a new skill in its own. It gives people advantages for being able to do something that may not have helped their team much in regular wolf.

What I mean is, some players (like me) are simply really good at fragging. But in quick-spawn games simply going out and fragging doesn't help too much. But with XP you can become so efficient at it that you can play hero when the time is right.

There are many more examples where I can see XP being of benefit to matches, assuming no one joins late.

As of now there is no source code released for ET, and they said they might not release it at all. Until they do, no banimod for ET :(.
I am Ph0g, you are not.
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

Kendle wrote:(hope I don't need to explain why XP sucks big time for Clan games, but obviously I'd be glad to do so if anyone's got any doubts).
OK, here are the 3 biggest reasons XP sucks:-

1) A player lags out / disconnects mid-game (as happens from time to time). Referee pauses, player re-joins. In RTCW this is just a minor inconvenience. In E.T. the player re-joins with zero XP, putting himself and his team at a disadvantage. This has already been identified as the major issue with XP for Clan games.

2) As you achieve higher awards, specifically Light Weapons, your SMG weapon spread is reduced, thus improving your aim. This takes away one of the most important elements of the game, the individual player's skill.

3) XP would become just another element of the game to be abused. As well as devising strategies to win a map, determining optimum Class mix, developing specific tactics for specific situations, etc. Clans will also devise strategies for building their XP as quickly as possible. Soon games will be won by the team with the fastest XP building tactic, rather than by the team with the better strategy and skill.

Whilst XP is obviously a key factor in what makes E.T. "different", and is great for games on public servers, almost all (no, make that absolutely all) Clan players I've spoken to reckon XP is the single biggest hurdle to playing E.T. competitively.

But then, as you say, no source code = no mod. Oh well, E.T. could've been big. :(
Ph0g

Post by Ph0g »

I disagree entirely.

1. People with unstable connections in clans ;). Besides if this was a mod they could enable a feature to temporarily store XP by GUID during matches, problem solved.

2. Less spread DOES NOT MEAN LESS AIM. Infact, it means MORE aim! Spread is the zone in which your bullet is randomly fired around the point you aimed at. Less spread means the bullets go even closer to where you aim. This means shot you might have gotten before while aiming akwardly will now require more precise aiming.

3. XP is very important in ET, no reason for it not to be in clan matches aswell. You are only rewareded for what you do specifically.
I am Ph0g, you are not.
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

Ph0g wrote:I disagree entirely.
No problem, 99% of the Clan scene I know agree entirely with my points, and they're the ones who'll decide whether or not to play E.T.
Ph0g wrote:Less spread DOES NOT MEAN LESS AIM. Infact, it means MORE aim!
Er, yes, exactly what I said! Less spread means more chance you're gonna hit what you aim at (or less chance you're gonna miss, whichever way you prefer to look at it) assuming of course you can actually aim the damn thing in the first place. Think about what you just said. Less spread, a reward for increased XPs, is a disadvantage? Your logic is screwed there somewhere m8.

Either way it means game code, rather than a player's skill (aim), will determine who wins, for example, a 1-on-1 shoot-out (between players of un-equal XP). Sorry, but that sort of thing has no place in competition.

But there's no point arguing, it's academic anyway as it won't happen unless SD do it in a patch or the source code is released.

Ho hum. :roll:
Ph0g

Post by Ph0g »

You don't get light arms skills magically for handing out medic packs buddy. The XP system lets you specialize.

You get the decreased spead for light arms by fragging people constantly. You don't frag often, you don't get it. This allows people who specialize in fragging to have an early advantage, fragging wise, over people who prefer supporting.

It makes perfect sense. The system rewards you specifically for what you are working on, and nothing else. Which means every advantage you get from it is entirely deserved.
Either way it means game code, rather than a player's skill (aim), will determine who wins, for example, a 1-on-1 shoot-out (between players of un-equal XP). Sorry, but that sort of thing has no place in competition.
No, that is entirely correct. It means specialization + skill determines the win. People who specialize in fragging are going to have an advantage over people who don't. It makes perfect sense. If you havn't been shooting people and getting your light arms skills up, don't expect to beat people who have been on kill-frienzies and are as skilled as you.

The XP system just allows for specializing, get with it and take advantage.
I am Ph0g, you are not.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

think of shooting across the map on beach... even the smallest crosshairs cover somepart of what your aiming at... if the spread is reduced towards zero than with tighter aim you'll miss more
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?