tank wars

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

[407]-anarchist-

Post by [407]-anarchist- »

It might be possible to make a tank mobile like a player. Possibly make a new model of a player that looks like a tank...and a new model of a gun with extremely high hp damage. itd be just like a player with a panzer...except in a tank shaped form..could it be done? possibly.

Make it a fp view of the tank when ur inside....like in BF142 when ur in the tanks(those that have played it know what i mean)....itd show a slot to look out (like in a tank)....and the barrel of the tank....and the players would be skinned like tanks so it would look just like 1 through the fp view outa the tank.... of course the map would have to be HUGE since the new tank player models would be 10x the average size of a soldier

if the boogie mod added the FG42...i think it could be done...im not sure though...just a thought
[407]Anarchist
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

thing you say are probely cleint side atleast you need cleint side to get those tank models to work but i was only thinking of 1 tank then destroiy the enenemy tank
[407]-anarchist-

Yea mostly all of it would probally have to be in a pk3 youd have to download....just a idea.
[407]Anarchist
SmokenStien

Post by SmokenStien »

[407]-anarchist- wrote:It might be possible to make a tank mobile like a player. Possibly make a new model of a player that looks like a tank...and a new model of a gun with extremely high hp damage. itd be just like a player with a panzer...except in a tank shaped form..could it be done? possibly.

Make it a fp view of the tank when ur inside....like in BF142 when ur in the tanks(those that have played it know what i mean)....itd show a slot to look out (like in a tank)....and the barrel of the tank....and the players would be skinned like tanks so it would look just like 1 through the fp view outa the tank.... of course the map would have to be HUGE since the new tank player models would be 10x the average size of a soldier

if the boogie mod added the FG42...i think it could be done...im not sure though...just a thought
Well if it was possible to take over anothr players spot it would be, but alass, nope.
Maybe have a player spawn as a TANK, and have it 1 vs 1 might work. But that involves changing so much it would end up being a MOD and for 1 map, not worth the effort. It would open doors to other ideas.......
Hitboxex would have to change drastically and then you would be stuck as a tank! :crying:

Naw not going to think about it any more.......
If YA SEE'em, SMOKE'em!!
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

controllable tanks might be possible serverside, they are simply scripted movers.

need a custom map for it though.
SmokenStien

Post by SmokenStien »

bani wrote:controllable tanks might be possible serverside, they are simply scripted movers.

need a custom map for it though.
Ya it could be done but, he doesn't want to follow a designated path and have it get to a point targeted for it to fire. He wants do be able to move around and control the tank, control when it fires.

Don't think that can be done in ET, atleast I haven't been able to do it. :D
But I'll have a more indepth look at it when I get a chance.
If YA SEE'em, SMOKE'em!!
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

With a mod, it's quite possible to have drivable tanks. You enter the tank, and then all commands (left, right, fowards, shoot) would be processed for the tank instead of the person. The problem is terrain. The mod would probably have to make the tank act like a person in some ways, for physics. Flat lands would make it easier, but no map has pure flat lands. A resized player "model" (The entity info, as where the "feet" are and if it's running into anything) would be used, with the tank being the actual model and skin.

You may not understand it, but only the person making the mod would need to understand that.
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

could make a surfaceparm to designate where tanks can and cannot travel, sort of like theres a surfaceparm for where mines can be planted.

players would control the tank with left/right/forward/back keys. there might be jumpy/stuttering movement issues with clientside prediction, though tanks move slowly enough that it shouldnt be too bad.

something for a future change though.... it would be a bit of work
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Like quakerally, only with tanks ? :D Obviously this could be done, but I suspect bani has a few other things to keep him busy :P
send lawyers, guns and money
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

well yeah, tankwar is a low priority project to say the least :lol:
SmokenStien

Post by SmokenStien »

WeblionX wrote:With a mod, it's quite possible to have drivable tanks. You enter the tank, and then all commands (left, right, fowards, shoot) would be processed for the tank instead of the person. The problem is terrain. The mod would probably have to make the tank act like a person in some ways, for physics. Flat lands would make it easier, but no map has pure flat lands. A resized player "model" (The entity info, as where the "feet" are and if it's running into anything) would be used, with the tank being the actual model and skin.

You may not understand it, but only the person making the mod would need to understand that.
I think what your not understanding here is that the Q3 engine does not support the use of vehicle use. Half-Life on the other hand does. Until the Q3 engine is modified to support this it is not possible to use a player settings to do what your talking about. The terrain would not be a problem as any where you can walk the model would be able to go as long as it does not require a jump to do so. The problem is in the hitbox settings for the kills. This is hard coded in the engine, a complete rework of this would have to be done so that the hurt/destruction of the object is not just the size of the PLAYER. Then there is the fact that the engine also does not have entities set out for the large guns (IE: artillary, tank BIG gun) to be aimable. These are set in the map as TARGET_EXPLOSION, along with a FUNCTION_EXPLOSION, that are placed where it is to happen. Modifications to the MORTAR or AIRSTRIKE CALL could be made by changing the MODELS attached to them and increasing the HIT power to take out a tank I guess, but all this leads to making a MOD for all this to happen.
The biggest problem is the none support usable vehicles. :lol:
If YA SEE'em, SMOKE'em!!
[407]-anarchist-

I think it can be done by what others said in the previous posts before yours. It might be done in a halfass way..but it could work.
[407]Anarchist
SmokenStien

Post by SmokenStien »

[407]-anarchist- wrote:I think it can be done by what others said in the previous posts before yours. It might be done in a halfass way..but it could work.
Well then rack your brain and do it, I have tried!!!
For the past month I have been trying to do a simple BOX that you could mount and control, nothing fancy like trying to aim or fire at some thing, just mount and control, and so far nothing works. I have asked in ALL the mapping forums and I get the same reply from ALL of them, "Q3 engine does not support this"

I can however use the multple TRAIN features to move an object like the tank or the tug (using different MODELS) to go from one spot to another by laying out the path, and when triggered by standing close to it or mounting it, it will go to the setout target area. I have put in more than one target area, but it has to reach the first target area and complete an instruction before it will continue to the next target. It's sort of like a train on a track, the model will go where the track is laid out, it can't deviate from the track. When making the map you have to lay down the path that the model has to travel, this can be in a strait line. To make the model turn it has to have a INFO_TRAIN_SPLINE_CONTROL, which has an arrow (wich can be rotated) that has to point in the direction of the path you want the model to take. At that point you have to now lay more tracks for the path and connect them together. So on and so on. What it all boils down to is that you have to lay down the path in the map and it can't be random.
Using the player models as suggested presents a lot of problems not even touched upon yet, like game speed (how fast a player can move, walking or running), gravity, if the model can use pron, crouch, jump, weapon selecting, etc. If any of these are changed so that the player model can be used for this type of thing, then it will be changed for ALL PLAYERS models. I guess you have to understand mapping to relate to what I'm saying, it's not as simple as it seems. :roll:

But hey be my guest and try it, if ya get it to work you'll be a map genuis and open up a whole new entity for mappers to use. :jump:

Good luck!!

Maybe a picture will help.
This is a SS of the tank in GOLDRUSH in ET. I have hidden some of the textures so you can see the path better. The GREEN boxes are the PATH the model of the tank has to take (called INFO_TRAIN_SPLINE_CONTROL) , the PINK boxes are the INFO_TRAIN_SPLINE_CONTROL, at which point the tank turns. In this photo you can see that the tank makes 2 small turns to line up with the door way, then continues on the path.

In this SS I have shown a 90 degree turn.

I hope this helps with my reasoning why it won't work because of the use of the path it has to use.
If YA SEE'em, SMOKE'em!!
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

SmokenStien wrote:
I think what your not understanding here is that the Q3 engine does not support the use of vehicle use.
What you are not understanding is that the support for vehicles is not something that would go in engine. It would be in the gamecode. You would have to change a lot of game code, but there is absolutely NO reason that you couldn't do a full driving sim with the quake3 engine. In fact, the quakerally mod I linked to as proof of that :P

It wouldn't be as good as a purpose built driving sim, but it could certainly be done. OTOH, if you want to make a tank mod, I'd suggest starting with bf1942 or tribes2/torque. Both of those would be much better suited to the concept, and already have vehicles in their gamecode.
send lawyers, guns and money
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

the existing tank code is actually a good basis for a tankwar. all thats needed is to make it drivable when its mounted by a player. the only difference now is that the tank movement is scripted. theres no reason why it cant be controlled by a player instead.