request for competition mod

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

fretn

request for competition mod

Post by fretn »

changing the speed of the notify (dead messages etc) like they are in rtcw, imo it's pretty annoying when you don't see (immidiatly)how many people you've killed with your l33t grenade

yes, I know, noobenglish

fretn
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

fretn!! is that really you? :shock:
GldDrgn

Post by GldDrgn »

can't be, the fretn i know only rarely kills :oops:
#rtcwduels - 1v1 à volonté
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

??? would it make it more laggy if all massages are sent ot you instantly ??
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

i don't think so... i think part of the reason it has a delay in it is becaus it's saving a space for any rank upgrade announcements, since it doesn't broadcast that to everyone but it shouldn't announce something to person1 before it announces it to person2 then that's (imho) what it's doing
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
O2.iceman

Post by O2.iceman »

I agree with this request, can it be done bani?
O2.iceman
Oxygen
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

changing the speed of popup messages would be a clientside mod
but i could move kill messages (obituaries) into the text chat area.
RammStein

Post by RammStein »

Shrub did that. I personally don't mind the delay, and if there is a lot of killing going on you are given a very limited time to read what people are saying.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

there is a downside to moving the obituaries into the text chat area though -- it uses a lot more bandwidth.

from what i hear many shrub players are suffering from increased lag now, it might be a contributing factor.

it would be possible to make it a per-player option though.
RammStein

Post by RammStein »

What do you mean by a per player option?
O2.iceman

Post by O2.iceman »

We set up a shrub server and moved the kill messages to the chat area, but the peeps didn't like it so we'll be moving it back.

Why is the delay there though for k/d messages and obejctive notifications!?? It takes like 3 seconds for it to appear, but comes out immediately in the console. Why is it like that?

Is it possible to change the HUD at all, or is that all client-side? I'd love to see the k/d messages moved to up the top as per RtCW, and have the chat in the same spot as RtCW as well.

The chat area as it is at the moment is so small and hard to read, and it's very easy to miss chat. :/
O2.iceman
Oxygen
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

O2.iceman wrote:We set up a shrub server and moved the kill messages to the chat area, but the peeps didn't like it so we'll be moving it back.

Why is the delay there though for k/d messages and obejctive notifications!?? It takes like 3 seconds for it to appear, but comes out immediately in the console. Why is it like that?

Is it possible to change the HUD at all, or is that all client-side? I'd love to see the k/d messages moved to up the top as per RtCW, and have the chat in the same spot as RtCW as well.

The chat area as it is at the moment is so small and hard to read, and it's very easy to miss chat. :/
the delay is entirely clientside. they probably rate-limited it because the # of lines for the popup messages is so limited (3 or so, iirc).

moving them to the top would require a clientside mod. with HTTP downloads in ET, that sucks far less than it used to, so a clientside mod is actually a reasonable thing now.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

RammStein wrote:What do you mean by a per player option?
per player option, as in individual players can decide if they want to move the obituary messages down to the text chat area or not.
RammStein

Post by RammStein »

Ah! That's what i thought. I like that idea.
O2.iceman

Post by O2.iceman »

bani wrote:moving them to the top would require a clientside mod. with HTTP downloads in ET, that sucks far less than it used to, so a clientside mod is actually a reasonable thing now.
That's true, I can't believe it took until the umpteenth iteration of the Q3 engine before clients get a reasonable error for a missing file.

The old "invalid pk3 files" was bad enough, not to mention the "server uses protocol 58".

I mean how hard could it be for them to say "The server is running an updated version, you need to download a client patch from blahblah".
O2.iceman
Oxygen