/kill delay

Discussion for Bani's Pub mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

flare

/kill delay

Post by flare »

i noticed when playing natural selection the other day that there was a 3 second delay on the /kill console command. is it possible to implement this into etpro? preferably as a cvar variable, ie. b_killdelay <seconds>.

would be awesome for pub play as there are alot of people on our servers lately who just /kill just as they are about to die and it is very irritating and denies the opposition of experience points.

and yes i realise this is a competition mod, and this could also be used for competition play =) remember, you dont HAVE to use it.

just a thought :O
.Flare
Team dot RtCW & ET
http://www.teamdot.com.au
GameArena GameOp ET
http://games.bigpond.com/pc/index.php
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

i more like my idea the xp points will go to the last person that shot the killing person (execpt for tking)
hiro

Post by hiro »

why? all it's going to do is get players frustrated and pissed off because they can't peform an action of the game when they want to.

I can see where you are coming from for wanting to restrict /kill in public servers, but there are better ways of dealing with it than an arbitrary time limit that most casual players won't be aware of and will probably assume is yet another bug in the game. In any case does it really matter if some loser denys you a kill? I'd rather see the player who /kills lose 5xp off their light weapons or battlesense (or both).

If you implement it you must make it so you can't /kill n seconds before respawn, and even that is going to be damned annoying.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

it's actually a common tactic during matches... you /kill before they kill you and it saves the enemy from getting your 3xp in ligh weaps. It'll also avoid a panzer or such kill... I can see it getting aggrivating, i personally don't mind it (even though i've had people now do the /kill to avoid giving the xp) but i wouldn't protest it either... however i think the idea where you respawn with the same health you /killed yourself at would be the best idea.
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Bedrock

Post by Bedrock »

none of that! lies!

If you implement it you must make it so you can't /kill n seconds before respawn, and even that is going to be damned annoying.

none of that! nothing! leave /kill as is. if your person who you're panzering the /bind e +leanleft and lean! if your kill is lost then get ammo, no loss.

as far as i remember in RTCW and ET /kill has been a major part of the strategy. radar for example, a VERY GOOD strategy is attacking, when you get the CP up, to have you entire team /kill and spawn at the command post. then have 7 people rush at the radar parts.. you'll almost get them every time. Now, with a /kill delay... that would most likely offset spanwtimes at the command post, maybe with only 4 spawning and the other 3 being stuck in limbo. and we know radar you get 10 mins to GO GO GO!.. so 20 more seconds is .. not good.
SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

hiro wrote: If you implement it you must make it so you can't /kill n seconds before respawn, and even that is going to be damned annoying.
This is a very good idea imo, as noone should ever kill himself for any reason in the middle between spawns (so not annoying at all, you wouldn't even notice), besides the xp-denyers. n=4 seconds would be ok
bani
Site Admin

Re: /kill delay

Post by bani »

flare wrote:and yes i realise this is a competition mod, and this could also be used for competition play =) remember, you dont HAVE to use it.

just a thought :O
feature for bayonet instead...
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

SickBoy wrote:
hiro wrote: If you implement it you must make it so you can't /kill n seconds before respawn, and even that is going to be damned annoying.
This is a very good idea imo, as noone should ever kill himself for any reason in the middle between spawns (so not annoying at all, you wouldn't even notice), besides the xp-denyers. n=4 seconds would be ok
What about if you're changing classes? If you can't use /kill and you're needed as another class by next spawn, you're out of luck.
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
{Zer0}Eclipse

Post by {Zer0}Eclipse »

gotenks wrote:(even though i've had people now do the /kill to avoid giving the xp)
:roll: :lol:
SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

WeblionX wrote:
SickBoy wrote:
What about if you're changing classes? If you can't use /kill and you're needed as another class by next spawn, you're out of luck.
You could still /kill to change classes (or whatever normal reason you would /kill yourself for), just not 15 seconds before your spawntime. Which is in no case needed, unless to deny xp. I think this would be a good feature for etpro to have, then organizers of leagues/serveradmins can choose whether they want this or not in their rules.

I /kill myself all the time, but never outside the last 4 seconds or so, and so does nearly everybody, so a normal /killing player wouldn't even notice this setting.
duke'ku

Post by duke'ku »

i would. i mortar, and i try to squeeze as many shots off as possible. sometimes i can squeeze off a round 2 seconds before respawn and then /kill to get more ammo. what's wrong with that?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

SickBoy wrote:You could still /kill to change classes (or whatever normal reason you would /kill yourself for), just not 15 seconds before your spawntime.
so they just eat a grenade. :roll: :roll: :roll:
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

look, anyone /kill'ing themselves is doing you a favor:

1) they can't be revived.
2) they're out of the game for the rest of the respawn
3) you still get battle sense XP

if anyone wants to /kill themselves while i'm going for an objective, be my guest. you've just made winning the game that much easier.

after all, I thought the goal of the game was to destroy the objective, not obsess about having the highest XP...
Majikthise

Post by Majikthise »

With the introduction of XP in ET, people feel the need to bitch about it, because they are selfish and want XP. I can't help but find it pathetic that anyone would want /kill removed or nerfed. All you are doing is admitting that all you care about is XP, and not the good of the team.

Try to find someone complaining about /kill in RtCW anywhere even near as much, and I'll give you a cookie.

Point of this post: Shut up. Just, shut up.
SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

duke'ku wrote:i would. i mortar, and i try to squeeze as many shots off as possible. sometimes i can squeeze off a round 2 seconds before respawn and then /kill to get more ammo. what's wrong with that?
Aargh would people at least think before posting? YOU COULD STILL KILL YOURSELF TO GET AMMO/LIFE/OTHER CLASS/BETTER POSITION/WHATEVER !! Just do it in the last 5 seconds. Can you give me a reason why you would do this any other time between spawns? It's not like it will make you spawn any faster! (I can give you one: to not give away your exact spawntime from the beginning to enemies, that's about it. )
bani wrote:so they just eat a grenade. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Yeah eat a grenade to deny someone xp. This would take skill. :roll:
Majikthise wrote:With the introduction of XP in ET, people feel the need to bitch about it, because they are selfish and want XP. I can't help but find it pathetic that anyone would want /kill removed or nerfed. All you are doing is admitting that all you care about is XP, and not the good of the team.

Try to find someone complaining about /kill in RtCW anywhere even near as much, and I'll give you a cookie.
I wouldn't give a fuck about XP if it wasn't for some minor edges to be won with it. Like fastfire panzer, faster reload etc. Don't deny this isn't important. If an enemy in a clanwar /kills himself everytime you fire a panzer at him, you can forget about ever reaching the next soldier level for instance.

This isn't about XP whoring. This is about making this game BETTER (you shoot a guy, he dies, instead of he kills himself) and more FAIR (you are a good shooter, you gain shooting advantages, because this is a XP based game. Disable the XP system and I'm happy too, because that would also be fair. But this isn't going to happen atm in most competitions.)
XP whoring is people who alter their gameplay in function of XP. (Like a XP deny'er !) Don't call me a XP whore.

So what is everyone's problem with this suggestion THAT YOU AREN'T EVEN GOING TO NOTICE IT'S THERE UNLESS YOU ARE A XP DENY'ER???

Removing the full powerbar after /kill was a MUCH heavier intervention, but even this has happenend without too much people whining about it.

Sorry for the caps but I'm not used to having to explain myself 3 times.