Bounced to spec after map change

Discussion for any ET/ETPro/BayonET bugs or cheats you find...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Chairman Kaga

Bounced to spec after map change

Post by Chairman Kaga »

On my clan's server, we're very frequenly hitting that horribly annoying 1.02 bug of the game bouncing random players to spectator on map change. I thought I'd read somewhere that ETPro fixed this, but it doesn't seem to be the case for us. I'm hoping this is a server-side problem so ETPro can fix it.
Steve (aka Chairman Kaga)
Proud member of Major League Killers
=MLK= International House of Panzer: 64.185.229.60:27960
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

what etpro version are you running? make absolutely sure.
Chairman Kaga

Post by Chairman Kaga »

We are running 2.0.5 -- absolutely sure. See for yourself: 216.168.131.231:27960
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

I tried playing a bit to check the bug, but I couldn't stand it for more than a few minutes:

i'll come back and test some other time.
Chairman Kaga

Post by Chairman Kaga »

Haha...omg, I'm sorry :)

If you catch it earlier in the evening there's usually a far higher-quality game going on. All the good players bailed right before you came on, when the previous campaign ended.
FellatedOne

Post by FellatedOne »

I've found that it has to do with balanced teams settings. High XP (500+, I think) get bounced to spec at map switch. I don't know why this is considered a feature other than they would have reselect the team they were on, reset the fireteams and lose the tracking they originally had on their XP. I believe it is inherent to ET.
Chairman Kaga

Post by Chairman Kaga »

Well, I think the problem might just be a botched install, so I'm just reinstalling the whole server. If we're still having problems after that, I'll post back here, of course.
Chairman Kaga

Post by Chairman Kaga »

I think I've nailed it down.

The person that set up the server installed etpro over top of etmain! What borks everything is that he client isn't bright enough to figure this out, so it's still using the stock etmain on the client side, not etpro. b_althud doesn't work, banners don't work (it complains about "unknown client game command: bp" in the client), you name it.

I'm going to assume that this is the source of all our issues, and they should go away once I finish this clean install. Sorry for the false alarm, bani. If I have any further issues, I'll let you know, but I doubt I will.
Lemndrp

Post by Lemndrp »

We are having the same problem. It isnt that big of a deal, except it is getting annoying for those players that have it happen each and every map change. (And sometimes lose their spot on which ever team they are on.) It doesn't seem to happen to everyone, but I have a few select players that is happens to every time we change maps.

I told them I would look into it and see if anyone else was having the same problem. We are running the current version of ETPro, (2.05) and everything is installed where it should be.

We do have balanced teams turned on, so I guess I will try turning it off and see if it make a difference. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

its a bug in the stock etmain client and was fixed in etpro 2.0.2

if a player is somehow running etmain client, they can get this problem (as kaga discovered).

make sure you have the recent etpro-2_0_0.pk3 in the server etpro directory, that the server is set to pure, and that the clients are downloading the pk3.
Lemndrp

Post by Lemndrp »

Thanks Bani.

Will go in and make sure everything is set to what its supposed to be set to, and hopefully they won't have this problem anymore.

Looks like the server wasn't pure. After changing it, we haven't had the problem occur again.