Invulnerable while going prone?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

O2.iceman

Invulnerable while going prone?

Post by O2.iceman »

Bani/Rain,

There's an increasing number of players (usually, quite good players) who go prone during an smg fight. That is, you're going toe-to-toe, aiming for their head of course, and they drop to the ground prone-style while still shooting at you, get back up and keep shooting etc.

Now, normally there's people that crouch during an smg fight, I do it myself.. It helps to put the opponent off and hopefully help them to miss your head!

Going prone during an smg fight is pretty much the same, except I believe that the player goes invulnerable for a short time during the "going prone" and "going out of prone".
And the player can still shoot you while going prone, as long as they don't move sidewards/backwards/forwards.

That gives the proning player a huge advantage, as not only does it throw your aim off, from aiming at their head to having to aim at the ground, but they seem to be invulnerable and be able to shoot you at the same time.

Is this something you could possibly look in to?

I'm not asking for proning during an smg fight to be outlawed, but just so that they either can't shoot while doing it and/or make it so they're not invulnerable.

Thanks
O2.iceman
Oxygen
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

this has allready been brought up, it does give invounerability for a sec, but they can't move either so you have a chance to run up beside them and kill them... or you can just stand infront of them and let them shoot you
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Majin

Post by Majin »

But they can AIM and SHOOT while going prone...

I have been seeing a lot of this...
O2.iceman

Post by O2.iceman »

Exactly, and it's becoming more and more common.
O2.iceman
Oxygen
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

i didn't think they could move while they're going prone, i know they can when they finish. if they can, maybe a good fix would be not let them move till they are on the ground.
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

theyre not invulnerable, its just that the hitbox changes instantly while the animation is still going on, so it looks like youre shooting them and not hitting anything.

shoot at the feet of someone who is in the process of going prone, youll hit them 100%.
hiro

Post by hiro »

is it possible to get head shots on a prone person? what is the hitbox damage value and would you consider increasing it to that of a headshot? after all youare pretty much shooting them in the spine which is as good as a headshot ;)

I appreciate the stratigic value of going prone in a fire fight to take cover behind something or in foilage, but it's a bit un-sporting when someone does it right in front of you.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

yes, you can still get headshots on a prone player.
SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

Still, this could use some fixing imho. A player shouldn't be able to shoot while going prone/standing up (or with much reduced accuracy like firing when on a ladder)
O2.iceman

Post by O2.iceman »

I agree with sickboy..

While they are in teh motion of "going" prone or "going out of" prone, they should:

1. Not be able to shoot
and/or
2. Not be able to move their crosshair
O2.iceman
Oxygen
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

would just making the hitbox a 100% standing hitbox until they are completely prone work for you?
O2.iceman

Post by O2.iceman »

Yep that sounds good, because at least then you can shoot them on the way down, as the hitbox is still as though they are standing.

Sounds like a good compromise to me.

Thanks
O2.iceman
Oxygen
hiro

Post by hiro »

I've been thinking about ways to discourage people from resorting to this tactic, but most things would be a little harsh on legitimate proning, ie dropping to take cover behind something or to make yourself a smaller target at long range (which increases the chance of getting shot in the head).

One thing that happens when you prone is you are limited in the angle you can move your crosshair around. people who prone in front of other players can use this to their advantage - if you are the right distance away and go prone and point up as far as you can go, it almost guarantees a headshot on an opponent who is standing up.

Two possible fixes are:

a) lock the player's view when proning, similar to player who have just been revived.

b) what bani suggested about the hit box, but instead of the standing hitbox give them the crouching hitbox for the duration of the animation?

that said, I would not be upset if there were no changes made. it is very annoying and I have little respect for someone who does it in front of me, but there are ways to counter proning players. Since bani confirmed that there is a headshot hitbox present, I have made more of an effort to aim for that and have had success. :)
Svartberg

Post by Svartberg »

ahh, good idea, half the process should be stand hitbox, the other half should be prone hit box.

and btw, the shots on prone players already go to their heads. (mg =\)

damn i hate prone exploiters.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

bani wrote:would just making the hitbox a 100% standing hitbox until they are completely prone work for you?
or stand-crouch-prone over the course of proning ?

Though, TBH, I haven't had a lot of trouble killing players who prone 1v1, including ones who are usually better shots than me.
send lawyers, guns and money