What is ETTV? (here's your answer)

Forum for discussing ET TV

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

KingJackaL

What is ETTV? (here's your answer)

Post by KingJackaL »

I've noticed a few people asking that question, so I thought I'd do a quick write-up so you guys get the answer fast, and we don't have to type out the answer over and over.

In a nutshell:

Ever sit back and watch a game of Rugby/soccer/whatever while downing a cold one? Enjoying the fact that you can just sit in the comfort of your home and watch some of the finest teams on the earth battle it out, supporting your local team versus the barbarian hordes from who-cares-they-suck-either-way?

Course you have! Well - ETTV basically allows you to do the same, only instead of watching England vs Brazil playing soccer ( or whatever ), you can watch 4K vs GMPO playing Wolfenstein Enemy Territory! :)

ETTV allows you to connect up to a special server using your PC, and view a game in progress much like a spectator would. But it's more powerfull than any normal spectator function - ETTV allows you all the features of a shoutcaster - being able to see the names of players over their heads, seeing a dynamite timer over the dynamite etc. You can even watch spectators on the server, such as 'cameramen', people that ensure you get the best overview shots of battles, the best 1st person views during 1 on 1's, and those crucial views just before a panzer dishes out some ownage on an unsuspecting enemy group :twisted:.

Because you're using ETTV rather than just spectating the game, the server can relay the broudcast of the game to other servers - meaning 100's or even 1000's of us can watch world-class teams battling without lagging them out by crowding their server.

You could also have a shoutcaster connected up to the game, giving a running commentary - so even people that don't play a lot of ET can get an idea on why that panzer killing 1 guy isn't anything to be amazed, and why that medic killing 3 guys with his pistol IS. Not to mention giving you all those important statistics - like where the players came from, how the clan did last season, what the k/d ratio's of each player are, and what is the average length of their index fingers. ;)**

*Note: most of this is based on what WolfTV did to allow people to watch RTCW games. Chances are good ETTV will be very similar.

**Note: this is supposition on things that bani _could_ add to ETTV. Bani hasn't confirmed these - they're just mentioned here to give an idea of what could quite possibly be added. Shoutcasts of games already exist - but why not integrate a shoutcast in with the ETTV? :)

Hope that answers some questions
Last edited by KingJackaL on Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ildon

Post by ildon »

People are still asking this... :roll: Maybe it should get a sticky?
Ruski

Post by Ruski »

What's ETTV?????? :D
Fusen

Post by Fusen »

Image =O its been released
________
homemade vaporizers
Last edited by Fusen on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

Fusen wrote:=O its been released
That just Advanced Demo Vieuw isnt it? :roll:
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

Nah, sorry to spoil the fun, but it's just the computer redirecting regular ET to the TV.
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
lexxis

Post by lexxis »

=FF=im2weak4u wrote:
Fusen wrote:=O its been released
That just Advanced Demo Vieuw isnt it? :roll:
to say u have so many posts u dont know too much do u =/?
Threshold

Post by Threshold »

STICKY!!!! :)
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

i think heard in a interview that, you would unlike, other versions of "wolf-tv", be able to have free control of camera.. meaning...u have ur own freecam.

is that going to happen..?
Spoofeh

Post by Spoofeh »

squadjot wrote:i think heard in a interview that, you would unlike, other versions of "wolf-tv", be able to have free control of camera.. meaning...u have ur own freecam.

is that going to happen..?
Yes.

http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/vi ... php?t=4180
+>V<+CoFFeeeee

Post by +>V<+CoFFeeeee »

STICKY THIS TOPIC :evil:
Favzer0

Post by Favzer0 »

Is et tv a download program, will it be laggy if i wana watch a usa vs europe game if im from australia..... how many people can ettv hold and will this make it laggy.. can youplezsse tell us info like that you gave ys a brief view of it but like it's still pretty confusing and stuff for me
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

No download, just connect to the ETTV server with ET.

It will be delayed coverage - not LIVE, probably by 30s or 1m or something. This is intensional, to stop the teams from using it to spy on the enemy.

It will only be as laggy as you have lag to the ETTV server.

It can hold a potentially infinate number of spectators - as I said in the first post, the load is moved from the game server to the ETTV server(s), and there can be a very large number of these.
Spoofeh

Post by Spoofeh »

I don't see why there would be a noticable difference between a high and a low ping as low as the ping is stable and there's no packet loss. Your aim won't suffer, that's for sure. :wink:
IdNotFound

Post by IdNotFound »

It was common to use high cl_timenudge values in WTV (like 1000) to compensate lag and make things more smooth. Of course, back then we didn't had the antilag we have now (neither did I had the small knowledge I have now), so I really don't know how it might work out.

Rain mentioned cl_timenudge over 30 would have no effect. I start questioning myself if the high values I used really made that difference, and if it can be made that way in ETTV.

Also, when spectating high ping players on a regular server, you see them aiming at empty spaces and hitting. This is normal. Will ETTV try to make it more consistent (since it's delayed already) in any way when you spectate someone?

I know it's not much related to the topic, but since the subject lag came up, with the answers some doubts came as well. :?
Image nZ/IdNotFound
NaZGûL TeaM Leader
SAWL Tech Staff