ET on Mac

Official ET Pro announcements here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

deej

Post by deej »

Nail wrote::oops: sorry, total linux idiot here
I think Ouroboro might quote you on that in his sig ;)
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
Nail

Post by Nail »

no prob, I have no knowledge of linux
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
geneticlone

Post by geneticlone »

I realized thanks to a friend that not many people want to do a dual partiton on there mac so i decided to try to install it on X11 i have gotten to my first problem.

sudo ./et-linux-2.55.x86.run

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these two things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.

Password:
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Enemy Territory 2.55......................................................................................................................................

This installation doesn't support glibc-2.1 on Darwin / ppc
(tried to run setup)
See http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/ for troubleshooting
The setup program seems to have failed on ppc/glibc-2.1

See http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/ for troubleshooting

Surprisingly it actually go this far :).

Anyway I actually located a forum where they talk about havein problems installing GTK radient the same way. (http://redsaurus.net/gtkradiant/viewtop ... 497109dc85)

I was wondering if anyone has a way around it or a way to make the isntall ssupport it lol.

Anyway im going to try to upgrade to glibc-2.3.3 Hopefully that will get it started. Or i can use Fink lol.

-----------------

Anyone know where i can get a copy of glibc-2.3.3 for Darwin 7.7?

http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/porting.html Doesn't exist anymore :D
Last edited by geneticlone on Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

geneticlone wrote: sudo ./et-linux-2.55.x86.run
:roll:
You still don't seem to grasp the concept of PPC binary vs. x86 binary, and the fact that the only practical way to make a PPC binary is a port using the (non-public) engine source. Is it is well known that no one has done such a thing, and if someone had, they would have announeced it.

The fact that you were able to run part of the install (which is a shell script) doesn't have anything to do with this, nor does the fact that you get a similar problem trying to install gtkradiant. (the source for GtkRadiant is avialable, so one could in theory build it on linux/PPC.)

Upgrading your glibc is not going to let your Mac hardware run x86 code.
send lawyers, guns and money
geneticlone

Post by geneticlone »

SCDS_reyalP wrote:
geneticlone wrote: sudo ./et-linux-2.55.x86.run
:roll:
You still don't seem to grasp the concept of PPC binary vs. x86 binary, and the fact that the only practical way to make a PPC binary is a port using the (non-public) engine source. Is it is well known that no one has done such a thing, and if someone had, they would have announeced it.

The fact that you were able to run part of the install (which is a shell script) doesn't have anything to do with this, nor does the fact that you get a similar problem trying to install gtkradiant. (the source for GtkRadiant is avialable, so one could in theory build it on linux/PPC.)

Upgrading your glibc is not going to let your Mac hardware run x86 code.
X11 IS x86 binary.

I know this because im running KDE through it.

X11 for Mac OS X offers a complete X Window System implementation for running X11-based applications on Mac OS X. Based on the de facto-standard for X11, the open source XFree86 project, X11 for Mac OS X is compatible, fast and fully integrated with Mac OS X. It includes the full X11R6.6 technology including a window server, libraries and basic utilities such as xterm.

Including this people have been able to run other #d accelerated apps like the Linux ver of Maya through X11.
geneticlone wrote: Anyone know where i can get a copy of glibc-2.3.3 for Darwin 7.7?

http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/porting.html Doesn't exist anymore :D
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

enemy territory does not work on mac osx or ppc linux, and there is nothing you can do which will make it work.
geneticlone

Post by geneticlone »

bani wrote:enemy territory does not work on mac osx or ppc linux, and there is nothing you can do which will make it work.
lol technicly im running it on X11 :P come on help me out bani. There is no way im buying a pc lol.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

enemy territory does not work on mac osx or ppc linux, and there is nothing you can do which will make it work.
geneticlone

Post by geneticlone »

bani wrote:enemy territory does not work on mac osx or ppc linux, and there is nothing you can do which will make it work.
Lol even if i pay some one $35,000 dollars to port it :).
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

i would think buying a pc would be cheaper.

if you want to pay me $35k, i'll be happy to take an extended vacation from work and do a port though.
geneticlone

Post by geneticlone »

bani wrote:i would think buying a pc would be cheaper.

if you want to pay me $35k, i'll be happy to take an extended vacation from work and do a port though.
Lol ok ill start saveing up, ill take donations to :D. Ja Ja Ja
duke'ku

Post by duke'ku »

hahahahahhahahahaa, x11 isn't an x86 binary you fool; apple has a ppc build that they've conjured up and there's been a ppc build out with fink for ages - the only reason there's a binary for ppc is because the source is available

the et engine, however, is not available, so stop trying kthx
geneticlone

Post by geneticlone »

duke'ku wrote:hahahahahhahahahaa, x11 isn't an x86 binary you fool; apple has a ppc build that they've conjured up and there's been a ppc build out with fink for ages - the only reason there's a binary for ppc is because the source is available

the et engine, however, is not available, so stop trying kthx
lol thanks napoleon :) its ok i give up anyway im SURE THERE IS A WAY TO DO IT but im just not advanced enough to do it and im 35k shy lol. Anyway I guess ill have to build up a pc or just wait till aspyr gets some brains and converts it. By the way there stupid project for Doom 3 is completly worthless, everyperson that i talked to so far that bought that game said it was a waste of their money, and they regret they ever bought the game. Im sure some people like it but i know most mac users will be like the pc users i talked to. So aspyr do me a favour and convert a good game like ET of mohpa lol.
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

geneticlone wrote:SURE THERE IS A WAY TO DO IT
There is a way to run x86 code on ppc. You just have to simulate a complete x86 environment. If you are lucky and have a highend ppc you can get about 2 or 3 fps in the game by running it this way.
Nail

Post by Nail »

$35K, hmm, either you don't value your work as highly as some of us, or it wouldn't take more than a couple months. With John Carmack saying he'd like to release the Q3 code soon, would that help?
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome