request: pb_plist / time & date in demos

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Grembo

request: pb_plist / time & date in demos

Post by Grembo »

Hello.

I've recently discoverd a method of having anyone banned from any server by use of user submitted demos. While I won't go into the details.. I think the following would solve the issue.

I've found that pb_plists aren't recorded in demos. From an admins POV this would be a great thing as it would be very difficult to forge.

Sometimes pb_plist may not be done so to also have a date and time in the demo somehow accessible that would show the servers date and time. Perhaps it would just spit it out into the console in bold coloured writing upon starting the demo or for example b_showrectime. This is the most important one I believe and should have been done in the initial release of ET.

BTW, does ETPro have hardware based GUID banning? Cause THAT would be very handy ;)

Thanks for the great mod.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi,

there are hardware GUIDs (shown in the logs, or with /cheaters or /guids), but i they are

a) not 100% finished
b) can be spoofed already AFIAK (saw some screenshots of faked ones).

Greets
Mark
Get owned at: Gaming@d1p.de (217.172.182.126:27960)
Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
Grembo

Post by Grembo »

Hmm, I just read this post on harware guids. I hope that someone might be kind enough to finish this sometime. http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/vi ... aters+guid

How does one ban these new GUIDs?

Thanks Mark.
Last edited by Grembo on Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
DG

Post by DG »

nice idea for more demo info.

maybe etpro could just save the info somewhere and it could be pulled out with /demoinfo during playback, or /demoinfo demofilename ?

Maybe data could include
* list of players + pb/etpro guid (the last 8 digits as in pb_plist?)
* date & time of recording (wether pulled from server or recording client machine i dunno)
* some serverinfo, or just IP + configname + version, for example
ReyalP

Re: request: pb_plist / time & date in demos

Post by ReyalP »

Grembo wrote:
I've found that pb_plists aren't recorded in demos. From an admins POV this would be a great thing as it would be very difficult to forge.
PB and console stuff in general is outside of what etpro can control, since it isn't in the game code. You would most likely have to send this request to evenbalance. /cheaters output does show up in demos, AFAIK.

In any case, you should always correlate demos with server logs. Searching for chats etc that show up in the demo should find you the location in the log. From there you can get the time, GUIDs and IPs of everyone involved. If there is some way this is more forgeable than recording the pb_plist info in the demo, I sure don't see it. It should be very obvious if the demo doesn't match the log.
send lawyers, guns and money