ET Pro 3.0.0 test bugfix 22 released

Official ET Pro announcements here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

bani
Site Admin

ET Pro 3.0.0 test bugfix 22 released

Post by bani »

The test bugfix release version 22 for 3.0.0 is now available

Contains important anticheat updates, and a major change to the way antilag is handled.

Unless critical bugs are reported, this will likely become 3.0.1.

Please test it and post your feedback (good or bad) in this thread.
Last edited by bani on Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kam

Post by Kam »

Can someone explains pro and/or cons in having antilag (b_antilag CVAR) only on client side?
I was supposing having it as a server side configuration was mainly addressed to force all players to have a similar behaviour without having too much advance depending on connection.

I know also that a Q3 Antilag mod have adopted this feature in the past.
I read somewhere that this would not maybe solve the lag perception but could safeguard accuracy in shooting because less communication is needed between the client and the server.

Is this the same situation or there is something better/new?
=CFC= Kam

"The things you own, end up owning you." - [Tyler Durden]
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

why would you want to force it on all players? i can't think of any legitimate reason to force every player to have it on (or off).

having antilag on or off makes zero difference in the amount of data communicated between client and server. it is exactly the same amount of data regardless of the antilag setting.

you can of course still enforce it on clients with something retarded like sv_cvar b_antilag EQ 0, but i can't think of any reason to do so.
Kam

Post by Kam »

bani wrote:why would you want to force it on all players? i can't think of any legitimate reason to force every player to have it on (or off).
I do not want to force it.

Maybe I'm missing some basic antilag concept but I'm supposing that if a variable is originally defined as server side is to enforce something that affects globally all connected users.

I'm just wondering which ore the benefits in delegating this setting only on the client side.
=CFC= Kam

"The things you own, end up owning you." - [Tyler Durden]
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

it means clients can decide for themselves if they want antilag on or off.

some players come from q3 and learned to lead their shots to compensate for lag. so they don't like antilag being forced on them, and like it off.

other players like it on. moving the cvar to clients means individual players can choose for themselves, so everyone isn't forced to have the same settings.

technical info on how antilag works
cibor

Post by cibor »

hmm... there was bugfix 22 , i have downloaded it and put on serwer, and now there is bugfix 21 again , what is going on???
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

you fopund the easter egg
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

since clientside antilag controls how you aim at others and not how they should aim at you, it seems fair enough not to enforce it.
[KuB]FraGiLe

Post by [KuB]FraGiLe »

Well..if im understanding it right this would mean a wide open door for aimbots/lagbots etc. which function more correctly without antilag...
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

[KuB]FraGiLe wrote:Well..if im understanding it right this would mean a wide open door for aimbots/lagbots etc. which function more correctly without antilag...
err... surely they'd function significantly WORSE without antilag, because they wouldn't be leading their targets?
[KuB]FraGiLe

Post by [KuB]FraGiLe »

anyway if clients can control it they will set it to sth the bot worx with best...u know what i mean :D
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

which is on
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

dont forget that servers may still force it so that its cna still be used as a server setting
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

[KuB]FraGiLe wrote:Well..if im understanding it right this would mean a wide open door for aimbots/lagbots etc. which function more correctly without antilag...
no
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

well if you dont like it force it on whit etpro client setting forceing