Client/Server game mismatch: Enemy Territory/ET pro

Discussion for any ET/ETPro/BayonET bugs or cheats you find...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

bani
Site Admin

Client/Server game mismatch: Enemy Territory/ET pro

Post by bani »

Q: I get "Client/Server game mismatch: 'Enemy Territory/ET pro" when trying to play back a demo!

A: You're trying to play back an etpro 3.0.1 demo on etmain or etpro < 3.0.1.

You need to:
  • start et.exe with "+set fs_game etpro"
  • make sure there aren't any other etpro pk3s in your directory other than etpro-3_0_1.pk3
  • extract cgame_mp_x86.dll and ui_mp_x86.dll from the etpro-3_0_1.pk3 file and place them in your etpro directory
Note!! Your cgame_mp_x86.dll and ui_mp_x86.dll will get overwritten when you connect to an etpro server running a different version of etpro.

Someone might want to write an etpro demoplayer .bat script to extract the dll's from the pk3 and run et.exe with the proper commandline :D
Last edited by bani on Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
LtJax

Post by LtJax »

I got this problem when trying to join a normal game, not when playing a demo. Is that a known issue too? Its really annoying :(
Saintr

Post by Saintr »

Hey i have played etpro 3.0.1 since it has come out but as of today when i load up et(on a etpro3.0.1) server i get the client/server game mismatch
error

i have recently deleted all etpro pk3 files as stated above and extracted the nessisarry files

The campaing servers do not work although the sw servers are fine

Is this a Server problem or a client problem

thanks in advanced

Saint
booger

Post by booger »

You know all of this is well and good provided you're running a windows client, has anyone tried to connect using a linux client and got the same error? I have and im completely lost as to how to fix it. And no I don't want to set the server to pure. Thanks.
faltytower

Post by faltytower »

booger wrote:You know all of this is well and good provided you're running a windows client, has anyone tried to connect using a linux client and got the same error? I have and im completely lost as to how to fix it.
The linux/Unix equivalent is .so, which is included in the pk3.
booger wrote:And no I don't want to set the server to pure. Thanks.
????

Why would you NOT want to do this? Setting it to that mode would effect the server's clients to reference any files and mod from where they're executing (e.g. etmain), opposing the one the server hosting. Of course, ETPro ensures clients reference its mod folder by simply kicking any unpure ones. Problem is some may reference the game mod and some may not. It's the haves not you have to worry about, since they're the ones who draw the other half of traffic to the server, if not the most. In addition those that reference the mod correctly may reference the wrong version, causing all sort of unnecessary problems. Enabling to pure would force all clients to run the same file and more importantly the same mod version regardless of their initial state.

You can't expect perfect clients.
booger

Post by booger »

Why would you NOT want to do this?
To put it simply,I would rather not have the server force people to dload a 30+meg sound mod for the benefit of regular players. It works very well the way it is,the only trouble I was having was the game/mismatch thing with Linux clients,which I have since figured out. As I am sure your aware, setting to pure would effectively disable any mods not directly referenced by etpro.
Up until recently,I was running the 'other'mod,which had no reason to be set to pure.
The reason for switching mods was that shrub was just too unstable with a boatload of players.
I really have noticed the difference in gameplay since.
There are still people who play this game for fun,rather than the ladders and leagues that seem to take all the fun out of it.
Mark

Post by Mark »

booger wrote:
Why would you NOT want to do this?
To put it simply,I would rather not have the server force people to dload a 30+meg sound mod for the benefit of regular players. It works very well the way it is,the only trouble I was having was the game/mismatch thing with Linux clients,which I have since figured out. As I am sure your aware, setting to pure would effectively disable any mods not directly referenced by etpro.
Up until recently,I was running the 'other'mod,which had no reason to be set to pure.
The reason for switching mods was that shrub was just too unstable with a boatload of players.
I really have noticed the difference in gameplay since.
There are still people who play this game for fun,rather than the ladders and leagues that seem to take all the fun out of it.
As long there are NO scripts in the sound.pk3, the clients won't be forced to download. It's optional then.

For example:
We have on our GU-Servers the following optional pk3s:
- Spring.pk3 (Fueldump spring skins)
- zeaxis2.pk3 (skins)
- x_sound_repack.pk3 (sounds)

No client is forced to download them, but our server IS pure. Unpure isn't recommended (cheating!)...

Greets
Mark
Get owned at: Gaming@d1p.de (217.172.182.126:27960)
Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
booger

Post by booger »

As long there are NO scripts in the sound.pk3, the clients won't be forced to download. It's optional then.
Well that could be a problem,as there are voice scripts for various text messages inside. There are also various md5 checks on the maps to curb map editing.Id be more worried about new hacks then I would be people editing maps.PB isn't exactly on the ball with catching multihacks lately.

Edit...
OK I tried this and the skins we have will work that way,but I get an error message about multiple client pk3's installed on server.
faltytower

Post by faltytower »

Mark wrote:

Well that could be a problem,as there are voice scripts for various text messages inside. There are also various md5 checks on the maps to curb map editing.Id be more worried about new hacks then I would be people editing maps.PB isn't exactly on the ball with catching multihacks lately.
In fact,I had tried to run just skins, no sound mod, with pure on, and still skins did not work correctly,if at all.
Rain wrote:etpro has not and cannot modify the way the pure system works.

Here are the basics:
If you have a pk3 which the server read a file out of while loading the level (that is, referenced), this file will be required in order to connect.
If you have a pk3 which the server does not read any files out of (but it does exist on the server), clients will be allowed to reference this file locally (and use the models, sounds, etc. inside of them), but they will not be required.
If you have a pk3 on the client which is not on the server, the client will refuse to use any files within that pk3.

The pk3s that are required to connect are listed in sv_referencedPakNames, and the corresponding checksums are listed in sv_referencedPaks.
The entire list of pure pk3s exists in sv_pakNames, and their checkums in sv_paks.
booger wrote:Edit...
OK I tried this and the skins we have will work that way,but I get an error message about multiple client pk3's installed on server.
link.
booger

Post by booger »

Well it is being referenced twice,although where i dont know, fs_homepath is set to base install directory. .etwolf doesnt list it in /etpro folder.
booger

Post by booger »

Well thanks, I did manage to straighten that out. Now Im finding that some have modified their sound mod,,,oh well. :-)
zero.TA

Post by zero.TA »

I've just logged on to a server running 3.1.9 and downloaded the latest version. Now when I try to connect it comes up with the Subject Tiltle error - Why ???????????