Public example server configs

Discussion for Admins of ETPro/BayonET servers.
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

KingJackaL

Public example server configs

Post by KingJackaL »

http://homepages.inspire.net.nz/~evans/ ... c_configs/

I've finally finished off ( a few typo's here and there, but pretty sound ) my public configsets. These all make extensive use of etpro ( and et ) features, such as watermarks, custom campaigns ( depending which version you download ), .config files, etpro gameplay features etc. They include very solid punkbuster/anticheat setups, and have been tested using ETPro 3.0.1 ( though they should work fine in the current testbugfixes/3.0.2 ).

The zip files are commented, and all the .cfg files are also fully commented. The website above explains which sections of which files you'd need to 'get at' to get things running smoothly on your server ( although technically all the configs will run without any modification, changing the rcon password etc is a crucial step ).

If you:
  • Are having problems getting a specific feature to work
  • Would like to see what features are available in etpro3
  • Would just like to start your configs from a working set of well laid-out configs
  • Are just keen to have a look and maybe brush up your understanding of ET server configs
...then I'm aiming these configs at you.

Included are Comp server, Pub-only server and dual-mode server configsets, as well as configs for Stopwatch and Campaign use.

The main config files are also in the above webpage in annotated format - so you can just browse ( maybe just refresh on how a line or two should be written ).

If you have any suggestions, please tell me :). Enjoy...
kropa

Post by kropa »

Great work !
It`ll for sure help many ppl :D
When you kill 6 people in Unreal Tournament it is "MonsterKill", in Quake3 it is "Excellent", in Counter-Strike it is "Kicked by console"
BOTA

Post by BOTA »

Adding to the treasure of knowledge is never a bad thing.
Thank you, I will take a look to see if there is more to learn for me. :)
MeeZ

Post by MeeZ »

I spread the news to www.enemy-territory.com front page :D Keep it up KJ.
Meez
#eat - Quakenet
#necromantia - Quakenet
RoadKillPuppy

Post by RoadKillPuppy »

Thanks KingJackaL,

I am sure this will be a great help to all beginning admins, and a great resource for the experienced admins to lookup some stuff.

Till now, it required some serious 'googling' to get that server running.

RKP
deej

Post by deej »

Nice nice nice! Works a lot easier then the old-fashioned way.

Only prob I still have with putting the .campaign file in the scripts directory (instead of creating PK3 campaigns) is that it makes the campaigns appear as "Top Secret" and does not show which maps the campaigns are constructed from (and any typo (d'oh :)) or not saving the file in Unix format screws up the server).

Just 2 questions more:
- the scripts directory is meant to be placed under ETPro right (I kinda gambled late night and just flung it under both etmain & etpro ;)).
- how can i get rid of people being able to choose the standard 3 map campaigns of the game? I managed it once in RTCW but I forgot how I did it and can't reproduce it in ET (that's what you get for not adminning a server for over a year).
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

I've never tried installing campaigns by putting a .campaign file in the scripts dir on the server and leaving it at that :o. The pk3 advantage I assume would be that the client auto-downloads that pk3, and as a result can tell what the next map etc are - so can display that information.

Sadly you can't get rid of the default campaigns, as they're packaged in the default pak0.pk3. The only way to get rid of them would be to supply ( and require the download of ) a non-default pak0.pk3... which at a whopping 217MB... is rather prohibitive :(.

About your best shot is giving your custom campaign's names with color and that will appear up the top of the voting list in a way that makes them sound better ;).

Also note that many custom maps have had .campaign's bundled with them. The same deal applies getting rid of those options (would need to use a custom version of the map pk3).
deej

Post by deej »

Yeah we did that - we edited certain custom maps and got the .campaign files out. To answer my own first question: once you have DL'ed the custom maps on your PC, the campaign loading screen shows up correctly. Guess it requires the .arena files from the maps itself.

KJ why I asked the question is because when I download one of your files there's a ExampleKJ.zip file in it which is unpacked in ETMain. When you unpack that file it creates a scripts dir. Am I missing something? Or was your ZIP file meant to be a PK3 file and should I just put the .campaign files in the scripts dir of a PK3 as usual...

This is the link I'm talking about: http://homepages.inspire.net.nz/~evans/ ... gsetKJ.zip
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

1. Always put your campaign into a pk3, having it only server side will sooner or later lead to problems.
2. To limit the server only to your campaigns look here: http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/vi ... php?t=2418 Don't edit custom pk3s, this is bullshit and will force players to download the same map again even if they have the original version already.
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

deej wrote:KJ why I asked the question is because when I download one of your files there's a ExampleKJ.zip file in it which is unpacked in ETMain. When you unpack that file it creates a scripts dir. Am I missing something? Or was your ZIP file meant to be a PK3 file and should I just put the .campaign files in the scripts dir of a PK3 as usual...

This is the link I'm talking about: http://homepages.inspire.net.nz/~evans/ ... gsetKJ.zip
Ah, sorry - first bug found :D.

/me renames the pk3's to .pk3.

Hmm... winzip compresses the zip's more when they're renamed to .pk3... interesting... :o

And yeah, what uber_noob said - mucking around with pk3's = bad idea normally. It's best to create your own.
deej

Post by deej »

uber_noob wrote:Don't edit custom pk3s, this is bullshit and will force players to download the same map again even if they have the original version already.
I'm afraid you're wrong here, the client has to download the modded pk3 file only once again. E.g. temple map is DL'ed as temple_final.pk3 (original unmodded) and temple_final[somecrcnumber].pk3. After that, everything works flawlessly and you can play on both modded and unmodded servers.

It's actually the same way of work when e.g. you updated your etpro server to a bugfix2 release and on another server it's still stock ETPro 3.0.1. You will have an ETPro-3.0.1.pk3 file twice on the client's side (but with different crc numbers in the filename).

By the way at first we did try to repack those custom maps (because we didn't like tinkering with original pk3's for the same reasons) but we did something wrong cause they crashed the server all the time. Yet we were certain we set all the names right etc in the new pk3 file... Bummer.

FYI the maps concerned are Temple maps, Stargate Center, Return To Carnage Canyon I & II. But I'm definitely gonna test the way described in the link ubernoob gave me since it's a much cleaner way of working and saves us from the hassle we went through to get things up & running anyway.

Thanks all!
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

deej wrote:I'm afraid you're wrong here, the client has to download the modded pk3 file only once again.
Where did I say he has to download the modded one multiple times? I only said he has to download it though he already has the original. But this could also happen, due some variations inside the compression algorithm and different compression depths when "zipping" the files into a pk3. I cetainly wouldn't play on a server where the pk3s have been altered.
deej

Post by deej »

Yeah I know your point. Problem is that even with the method you described the standard campaigns pop up and thus I'm afraid also the campaigns embedded in custom maps. Two things I don't want on my server and I haven't found a "clean" solution yet. I do wish I wouldn't have to mod the original pk3's, believe me. Having the clients DL new pk3's eat up our precious bandwidth too...
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

deej wrote:Yeah I know your point. Problem is that even with the method you described the standard campaigns pop up and thus I'm afraid also the campaigns embedded in custom maps
They show up. But they won't be started, even if a vote for them does pass. So I really don't see the problem with them beeing shown.
deej

Post by deej »

uber_noob wrote:They show up. But they won't be started, even if a vote for them does pass. So I really don't see the problem with them beeing shown.
Ah that I didn't know, thanks! I'll reinstate the unmodded files and create clean servers now ;-).