Client side rate

Discussion for Admins of ETPro/BayonET servers.
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

daytroxative

Client side rate

Post by daytroxative »

ok... here's what i want... i want to be able to change the client side rate... to about 15000 or maybe 10000 this defaults at 25000...... being a client you could do this as

Code: Select all

/rate 15000
.... now being an admin how could i make it so all clients connecting to me use the rate specified??... i know about forcecvar but that only works after a restart..... is the only way to do this a forcecvar every round? i notice if you have a slower connection playing with client side rates and server side rates can help with lagging... any help is appreciated.....[/code]
Naked Pope

Post by Naked Pope »

What about sv_maxrate 15000 ?
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

It's a bad idea forcing the client rate to a specific value. For ex. if you force a ISDN user to a rate of 10000 or more he will go conn interrupted. If you really only want high bandwidth players on your server you could "force" the rate by punkbuster, because it really doesn't matter if the players are being kicked instantly or going conn interrupted and being disconnected some moments later.
daytroxative

bah

Post by daytroxative »

sv_maxrate is for server side... how much the server sends to clients... not how much clients send to server.... /rate it's a clent side command... oh and uber.... after people connect to my server i forcecvar the rate of 15000 on them instead of 25000.... it smooths things up for me overall when more players are connected... i run my server off my slow ass cable connection.... i only have 12 slots... so anything i can do to reduce lag symptoms is very useful to me...
daytroxative

ummm....

Post by daytroxative »

i still need an answer to this... are the only ways to do this force cvars in range? i dont use pb nor would i.... it would be et pro forcing them..... the other thing i thought is putting a forcecvar in the map_default.cfg or whatever its called... for it to run my forcecvar every map.... any ideas on how i can accomplish client side rate control?
agrado

Post by agrado »

I thought 'rate', even though it is client-side, sets the maximum bandwidth the server sends to the clent, and 'sv_maxrate' is simply the maximum bandwidth the server is willing to send. So the bandwidth server->client is min(rate, sv_maxrate), and there is never any reason you as the server admin will want to change the user's 'rate' cvar. In the client->server direction you cannot affect the bandwidth. But I'm just guessing here and may be completely wrong :-D
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

agrado wrote:I thought 'rate', even though it is client-side, sets the maximum bandwidth the server sends to the clent, and 'sv_maxrate' is simply the maximum bandwidth the server is willing to send. So the bandwidth server->client is min(rate, sv_maxrate), and there is never any reason you as the server admin will want to change the user's 'rate' cvar. In the client->server direction you cannot affect the bandwidth. But I'm just guessing here and may be completely wrong :-D
No, you are totally right.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

agrado is right about rate/sv_maxrate. sv_maxrate already does what forcing rate would do, with the bonus of not fucking up your players configs...

To change client->server bw you would have to force cl_maxpackets (which is in updates/sec not bytes/sec). But IMO, you should think very hard about why you want to do this.
send lawyers, guns and money
daytroxative

Post by daytroxative »

i know the exact reason i'd want to control the client side rate... i'm on a slow connection.. i run my server free of charge other than personal isp costs... to control the intake from clients i can reduce latency and bandwidth use (overall) due to the server not receiving as much data at one time.... this is helpful... i know about sv_maxrate... i've controlled that on my server.. as well as snaps and max packets... controlling client side rate is a bonus for me... sv_maxrate does not do what controlling rate does... the default rate for client sent data is 25000 ....... sv_maxrate is what goes out... not what comes in... sv_maxrate in no way does what im looking for in this topic.... i dont agree with agrado.....
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

yes but is pissing off your visitors by changing their settings a good idea?
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
[FF]Adam

Post by [FF]Adam »

totally, it's his server, not theirs..............if they dont like it, they can leave.

ya can't please everyone
www.thefunnyfarm.net

130:13:82:5:27960
tFF original 4 map
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

but people come in not expecting things that they tweak to be changed... would you like being forced to 600x480 resolution when joining a server? It's the same thing
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
[FF]Adam

Post by [FF]Adam »

no, so i'd leave and find another server

because it's his server means he can run it the way he wants, just like everyone else, that's all i'm saying.......
www.thefunnyfarm.net

130:13:82:5:27960
tFF original 4 map
agrado

Post by agrado »

daytroxative wrote:the default rate for client sent data is 25000 ....... sv_maxrate is what goes out... not what comes in... sv_maxrate in no way does what im looking for in this topic.... i dont agree with agrado.....
It doesn't matter if you agree with me or not, 'rate' is still the bandwidth used server to client, and is not something you should fiddle with, and the "default rate for client sent data" is not 25000.

cl_maxpackets is the cvar you want for controlling client->server bandwidth, and again it's probably not a good idea to fiddle with it.

See http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Quake3/connection.html if you still don't believe me.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

like the rest out here i do not suggest oyu do it but if you realy want it :/

as an admin i think you should use the sv_cvar stuff witch is better then forcecvar :D
[/code]sv_cvar rate eq 10000

Code: Select all

(or something)