2-way damage-based XP

Discussion for Bani's Pub mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

KingJackaL

2-way damage-based XP

Post by KingJackaL »

Damage based XP should take off XP when teammates are hit in a similar way to it awarding XP when enemies are hit, as a natural deterant to make people carefull who they shoot.

After all, if all pubbers care about is XP, why not use that to your advantage? ;)

TK-raise's are one issue, but as Rain mentioned on IRC "a slightly larger revive bonus when that's enabled could counter". This would complement a negative-score auto-kick or score-descending auto-kick functionality to help curb griefers. Could be implemented as a feature of damage-based XP, and could be tweaked to be significantly more powerfull @ recognising TK's ( by patterns of XP decline ).

Thoughts? :)
[KuB]FraGiLe

Post by [KuB]FraGiLe »

Good idea, if it's implemented with the mentioned revive bonus for medics so they are even with XP after tking a teammate 4 revive. Maybe there could also be a reward for gibbing other players as this might be an important aspect of play not only on publics :D
*SpecOp*

Post by *SpecOp* »

I agree, great idea :thumbs:
hiro

Post by hiro »

what xp should they lose - BS, LW or their class xp?

I'd live to see medics get more xp for revives and less for just handing out packs, might encourage them to do a bit more medicing :)
bacon

Post by bacon »

This would only be useful for weapons that you have control over (ie. it wouldn't be good for air strikes, mortars, etc).
shamanix

Post by shamanix »

hiro wrote:I'd live to see medics get more xp for revives and less for just handing out packs, might encourage them to do a bit more medicing :)
medics get 4 xp per revive and only 1 xp per pack they give out.. that sounds like they get more xp for revives to me >_>
have you been leet today?
[FuN]mazza

Post by [FuN]mazza »

good idea in principle but wouldn't this take the benefits out of the meds doing a kill/revive :?: I'm not a personal lover of kill/revive but if ure out of pax its much easier to try n kill/revive than wait around for pax all the time.
Radeon9.8kpunk

Post by Radeon9.8kpunk »

i really dont like the whole kill/revive thing, becasue too many times have i been tked and thyen the medic dies so im screwed

I think there should be a altfire for needles that costs x amount of needles and takes away whatever remains of your skill bar but will give your ally 25 health and lets them use the medic health regenerate ability for until damaged or max health reached
Bandit is looking for a ET Clan!
I am proficient in combat and medical skills
My accurracy is usually around 35-40%
I usually get at least twice as many kills as deaths
[FuN]mazza

Post by [FuN]mazza »

errr looks like the experience u have of meds doing the kill/revive is the ones doing it while far away and then attempting to run kamikaze to u getting shot en route :?

yes it does happen on occasion but very rarely, and aren't u all but dead when these medics attempt a kill/revive :?: or am i being a naive medic here :lol:

I do know what u mean here actually, have seen it plenty of times, but their are plenty of meds who are not like this, and in some instances the kill/revive is still the best option(but not when ure far away from the patient), it just seems to me that each idea that comes up would like to make the medic class weaker, yes it is a strong class but when used correctly, their strength is a big asset to the team. I just don't feel that meds should be changed cos of a few Rambo meds when their are plenty of good meds out there, i personally play as kamikaze med and will run thru airstrike after airstrike just to get that revive, i mean it's much better if ure engineer is alive and close to the objective than a lowly med right :?:

I just feel this idea would stop many meds doing the kill/revive thing when it's needed, i know that i would still kill/revive if i seen a team mate down to 5hp and i had no packs left, i am not gonna hang around waiting for my bar to charge so i can feed him pax one at a time as they are available
bacon

Post by bacon »

shamanix wrote:
hiro wrote:I'd live to see medics get more xp for revives and less for just handing out packs, might encourage them to do a bit more medicing :)
medics get 4 xp per revive and only 1 xp per pack they give out.. that sounds like they get more xp for revives to me >_>
BUT medics get no xp for kill/revive. Therefore you shouldn't have even brought up the whole XP issue.

Code: Select all

if( !OnSameTeam( self, attacker ) ) {
		BotRecordTeamDeath( self->s.number );

self->isProp = qfalse;	// were we teamkilled or not?
	} else {
		self->isProp = qtrue;
	}

Code: Select all

if( !traceEnt->isProp ) { // Gordon: flag for if they were teamkilled or not
					AddScore(ent, WOLF_MEDIC_BONUS); // JPW NERVE props to the medic for the swift and dexterous bit o healitude

G_AddSkillPoints( ent, SK_FIRST_AID, 4.f );
					G_DebugAddSkillPoints( ent, SK_FIRST_AID, 4.f, "reviving a player" );
				}
The thing that sucks as a med is that a lot of people tapout long before respawn...
[FuN]mazza

Post by [FuN]mazza »

agreed, but i must admit i have done it myself especially when trying to have a cup of coffee or cig while playing :lol: :lol: :lol:
deej

Post by deej »

bacon wrote:This would only be useful for weapons that you have control over (ie. it wouldn't be good for air strikes, mortars, etc).
I agree with the airstrikes but I disagree with the mortars. A good mortarer (?) checks his command map all the time and ceases firing when he sees his teammates conquering the area he's mortaring.

Doubtful things however are indeed when noobs run in front of your fire when you try to double-team an opponent. But in general a good idea!
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
Kwyjibo

Post by Kwyjibo »

Excellent idea.

Kind of similar to reflection damage feature. When you shoot your teammate, the damage is reflected off him to you, so even if you go to shoot his helmet off, your helmet comes off :lol:
blackwitz

Post by blackwitz »

i think med should get 1 xp for the tk revive and not lose any xp for team dmg i mean if u have a teambleeder on ur team kick him...on the other hand why would u lose xp for a mistake like a dumb teamate running right in front fo u when ur shooting then he taps out and complain (-_-) i mean meds dont like the kill/revive cause 1/2 of the players out there are assholes and they complain when u tk revive them omg....i had someone vote kick me out of a server cuz i was tk/reviving
Deus

Post by Deus »

Medics and fieldops should be taken 10 xp for giving packs to enemys