smoothest gameplay? (maxfps, maxpackets, antilag..)

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Ragnarok|GER

smoothest gameplay? (maxfps, maxpackets, antilag..)

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

ok, guys. i've got the following problem: since etpro 3.0.10, i can't hit shit. it worked pretty well on 3.0.7 but now it's crappy. i don't know if it's true or just my imagination, but that's the way i feel about the gameplay.

so i asked around and got a few possible solutions:
-fix my com_maxfps and maxpackets. after all i heard they should be equal or maxpackets=maxfps/2. i.e.: 76/76 or 125/62.
sadly, my pc isn't able to hold 76 frames in every situation. and i also heard it should improve the smoothness if my fps were constant. so they should be 43/43.
so.. which setting will improve gameplay more?
125/62 even if my pc can't hold it or 43/43?
and is it true that something changed between 3.0.7 and 3.0.10?
meLonF

Post by meLonF »

you could try using the different antilag algorithums (which is a new feature in 3.0.12 iirc)

but from personal experience, i went from using 125 fps (which i couldn't hold a steady 125, it would drop often) and using maxpackets 100

i recently moved to 76 steady fps / 76 maxpackets and have found a huge improvement in the smoothness of the gameplay

so i would lean towards capping at 43 / 43 as i have found a stead fps is better than than a higher but fluctuating one .... although in fairness i've never played at 43 fps so i don't know what it is like :P
Herf

43 76

Post by Herf »

If you cannot hold 76 at least like >50 percent of time I would definitley goto 43.

If you cannot hold 7 >90 percent of time likely you should goto 43 as well. sometimes its map dependant on whether you can hold it or not. But the com_maxfps setting to a "magical" number is worthless if you dont actually obtain that number and actually harms you usually.

So my vote 43/43
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

In RTCW I capped at 76, and tried to maintain that when I started playing ET. For a long time I resisted capping lower because I didn't like to admit to myself my PC was too crap to cap at 76 in ET.

However, since I switched to com_maxfps 43 and cl_maxpackets 43, the game has been much, much smoother, and my aim and general gameplay has improved considerably.
Spark2

Post by Spark2 »

I'd always go with a higher value if my computer could take it. I played with 43 for many months because I could hardly keep that consistently, but if I could, I had rather played with 50 or 60. IMO the smoothness and speed (higher framerates also increase your rate of fire, especially with the MGs) is more important than the marginally higher jumping of one of the "magic numbers".
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

I'm not aware of frame-rate having any effect on the SMG rate of fire. I've heard it does on the MG42, but only at stupidly high rates like 333.

And the "slightly higher" jumping at one of the "magic" numbers isn't the real benefit, it's the fact you can jump slightly "further", which in turn means you can move faster. Getting from A to B as quick as possible is a major benefit IMO.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

well if u play with 5-15 fps..SMG firerate may seem slower at times..doubt that it really is...
Spark2

Post by Spark2 »

With the SMGs the difference is hardly noticable, but it's still there. The reason is (I think, but I have tested all of the following and doublechecked with the source code, so I'm 90% sure), that ET waits 150 ms minimum between each shot and then resets the timer to 0, so let's say your client creates a new frame every 49ms, then it will take four frames between each shot, which means 196 ms in the worst case. Now that's not a big deal, because the worst case rarely happens and with 43 FPS your delay is less than 25 ms, but still 20 ms of possible extra lag between each shot are something I could do without. :)
Now with the MGs it's much worse, because for some odd reason the special MG code will wait for another frame after the counter reaches zero, so with 40 FPS you'll get 25 to 50 ms of extra lag between each shot. Considering that the real delay between each MG shot is only 50 ms, that's quite a lot (but of course you'll also have additional delay with higher FPS, just less).
This also applies to the "first shot delay" btw, so with 43 FPS your first shot might come up to 20 ms later than intended.
I'm not sure how much faster you are exactly with 43 FPS compared to 60 FPS, maybe it weights out those disadvantages, but I've never been able to really feel the difference in the game. And maybe it will soon be a thing of the past anyway with b_fixedphysics? :)
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

Spark2 wrote:Now with the MGs it's much worse, because for some odd reason the special MG code will wait for another frame after the counter reaches zero, so with 40 FPS you'll get 25 to 50 ms of extra lag between each shot. Considering that the real delay between each MG shot is only 50 ms, that's quite a lot (but of course you'll also have additional delay with higher FPS, just less).
This is already fixed since etpro 3.0.1, see here: http://etpro.anime.net/changelog.html
Spark2

Post by Spark2 »

Ooh that's nice, I missed that.
nodey

Post by nodey »

Great. With this rate we'll be playing on 12 fps when etpro 4 comes out.
zinx

Post by zinx »

nodey wrote:Great. With this rate we'll be playing on 12 fps when etpro 4 comes out.
What are you talking about? Did you mean to post this in a different thread?
Zinx Verituse http://zinx.xmms.org/
Imbroglio

Post by Imbroglio »

you can do other things also, maxpackets and maxfps should be set to same value, cause if fps is higher than it won't be accurate and if packets are higher then they are limited by fps anyways, another thing that helps if you are on dsl/cable connection is increasing rate to 25000 and increasing snaps from 20 to 40, if you ping is high you could play around with a negative timenudge but i wouldn't go crazy with that or else you'll really mess up your 'hits' :wink:

to change rate its just /rate 25000
and snaps is same way /snaps 40

edit: another thing to help is cl_packetdup 1, but only change that to 1 if you have a cable connection or higher and are having problems due to packet loss (look at lagometer)
Till DEATH do us Part
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

Imbroglio wrote:increasing snaps from 20 to 40
AFAIK forces ETPro the server fps to 20, so this won't do a thing.
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

my rate is allready 25000, the lagometer is fine and snaps 40 isn't allowed in the most leagues.
may you explain the effects of timenudge and cl_packetdup 1, please? (allthough i think negative timenudge isnt allowed in the most leagues, neither)