sv_fps

Discussion for Admins of ETPro/BayonET servers.
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

admin@6006servers.net

sv_fps

Post by admin@6006servers.net »

As I often run multiple high powered servers I use the line

set sv_fps 30 //(defualt 20)

which makes the game run smoother and players' latency is reduced if they have snaps 30 (as opposed to default 20)

In ET Pro 3.1.0 (i didnt notice in previous versions) the server upon loading a map/campaign/whatever will reduce the sv_fps to 20 saying this ET Pro version will not run @ 30 fps for it to work correctly and forces the sv_fps back to 20.

I am confused why this is.... can anyone give me reason?

Thanks.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

ET (and RTCW) game physics are highly dependent on server fps being exactly 20. by increasing it to 30 all sorts of things break. flamethrower fires further, covops steal uniforms faster, engineers plant/build/defuse faster, match pausing is borked, likely other stuff breaks too -- thats only the ones we're aware of.

not to mention you increase client bandwidth requirements by roughly 50%.
admin@6006servers.net

Post by admin@6006servers.net »

Thanks for responding.

From your response surely then if I wanted to have this different physics enabled in the game thats my choice?
Why does this pro version dictate what sv_fps value I run?

The only thing that I cannot change from your reasons (of the top of my head) is the flamethrower's firing distance.
Covertops g_covertopsChargeTime, building/planting/defusing can all be adjusted with cvar commands.

Also increasing the requirments from the client can only be a good thing for the majority of broadband players who want a smoother game with less 'judder'

If the server is running @ 30 fps, clients should set their local settings appropriately ie snaps 30 to match the servers output. (as well as client rate, cl_maxpackets and others)

If they have snaps 20 which is the defualt - (which is designed purely for dialup modems so they dont get flooded with info) then they will experience odd playing effects because they have capped the snapshots from the server by 50%.

As explained we are running a high powered server with incredible backbone bandwidth which can cope with sv_fps 30 (not recommended to set more than 30 - I have had 3 years experience & experiments from basic server setups to advanced dedicated)

If for some reason the game demands sv_fps 20 , then why is that 'do not change that variable coz it will break the game code gameplay' a cvar?

If the game requires it as a constant then it should NOT be changeable by server admins - cheat protection - for debug and research only?

This is purely frustrating for myself - As a server admin I dont want to have a command dictated to when its a tweakable cvar {in my honest opinion makes the game smoother to play especially feedback from clients who praise the server(s) for its quality}

In summary, although I can change the sv_fps to 30, it appears I am going to have to write a script that overrides the default setting upon a map load...unless this auto change to 20 is disabled?

I love the pro mod in general (as well as thousands) but his is my only 1 complaint of the mod :wink:

Thanks.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

admin@6006servers.net wrote:Thanks for responding.

From your response surely then if I wanted to have this different physics enabled in the game thats my choice?
Why does this pro version dictate what sv_fps value I run?
because various things in the game break otherwise.

i brought this up in a thread in splashdamage forums last year. splashdamage officially confirmed the problems

http://www.splashdamage.com/index.php?n ... pic&t=4431
read paul wedgwood's post in the middle.
The only thing that I cannot change from your reasons (of the top of my head) is the flamethrower's firing distance.
Covertops g_covertopsChargeTime, building/planting/defusing can all be adjusted with cvar commands.
it has nothing to do with the charges. covops steal uniforms _faster_ with sv_fps 30, engineers build _faster_, arm faster, and defuse faster with sv_fps 30. this has nothing to do with charge time.

you cant change engineer arming/defusing speed by changing engineer chargetime. you cant change covops uniform stealing speed by changing covops chargetime.

there are likely other things that break in the game too, those are just a few of the things we have found.
As explained we are running a high powered server with incredible backbone bandwidth which can cope with sv_fps 30 (not recommended to set more than 30 - I have had 3 years experience & experiments from basic server setups to advanced dedicated)
et hasnt been around 3 years, et isnt quake3 and you shouldnt treat it as such. quake3 is a vastly different game than et and doesnt break like et does with sv_fps 30.
If for some reason the game demands sv_fps 20 , then why is that 'do not change that variable coz it will break the game code gameplay' a cvar?
because sv_fps is an engine cvar built in by Id software and a mod cannot remove it. if we could remove it, we would.
If the game requires it as a constant then it should NOT be changeable by server admins - cheat protection - for debug and research only?
thats why etpro forces it to 20. it's there to prevent accidental incorrect settings of sv_fps. we didnt expect anyone would try to deliberately break it.
This is purely frustrating for myself - As a server admin I dont want to have a command dictated to when its a tweakable cvar {in my honest opinion makes the game smoother to play especially feedback from clients who praise the server(s) for its quality}

In summary, although I can change the sv_fps to 30, it appears I am going to have to write a script that overrides the default setting upon a map load...unless this auto change to 20 is disabled?

I love the pro mod in general (as well as thousands) but his is my only 1 complaint of the mod :wink:

Thanks.
we arent going to disable this function, until the game physics is repaired so that it isnt so heavily dependent on sv_fps.

if you want to override it with hacks, we cant stop you. but we arent going to make it easier for admins to break their servers. and we really wish you wouldnt do that.