banimod / etpro / ettv forums Forum Index banimod / etpro / ettv forums
Bani's Discussion Forums
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bani's Law (Bani's Rule of First Person Shooter Analogies)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    banimod / etpro / ettv forums Forum Index -> ET Pro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bani
Site Admin


Joined: 21 Jul 2002
Posts: 3685

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Bani's Law (Bani's Rule of First Person Shooter Analogies) Reply with quote

In the spirit of Godwin's Law, I am establishing Bani's Law for the forums:

As any thread discussing changes to ET grows longer, the probability of a comparison between the proposed changes and Counterstrike approaches one.

Therefore, anyone who makes this comparison in a thread automatically loses the argument at hand. Anyone who points out that Bani's Law applies to the thread automatically loses the entire discussion.

Corollaries welcome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
iCe_bLASt



Joined: 22 Mar 2004
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this law is stupid , it makes the forum look like Counterstrike Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ragnarok|GER



Joined: 24 Apr 2004
Posts: 100

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As any thread discussing changes to ET grows longer, the probability of a comparison between the proposed changes and Counterstrike approaches one.

seems to be your sore point, hmm?
any form of censorship is not healthy for discussions and reveals a nazi-like manner. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bani
Site Admin


Joined: 21 Jul 2002
Posts: 3685

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

read godwin's law for the rationale. it's not censorship, it's making people think before they use tired old rhetoric.

i guess you missed that point.

anyone who uses the "omfg dont turn it into counterstrike" are like politicians who pass stupid laws saying "its to protect the children". there's no logic in their argument, it's just an appeal to emotion.

your comment on nazis is also an appeal to emotion. you use emotional words in an effort to support your weak position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ragnarok|GER



Joined: 24 Apr 2004
Posts: 100

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, my comment on nazis was a joke, just like ice_blasts comment. to argue against an order not to use cs as an argument by using cs as an argument is just the same as argueing against an order refering not to mention hitler ot the nazis by mentioning hitler or the nazis. Wink
woah.. weird syntax. hope you understood me.

the argument "this is just like cs" just means: dont slow the game down, dont make camping possibel, dont use limitef lives. it's just a codeword, nothing else.
_________________
ET /= RTCW!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bani
Site Admin


Joined: 21 Jul 2002
Posts: 3685

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the law is to force people to use specific reasoning in their debate, rather than a blanket "dont make it cs". because "dont make it cs" means nothing at all really.

as i said it's just an appeal to emotion.

corollary: "dont make it rtcw" is also an appeal to emotion, and has been overused against every single change from balanced smg's to hud changes to changed battery/fueldump. as you can see the "dont make it rtcw" is an empty argument which means nothing at all.

therefore anyone who uses these arguments automatically loses the discussion. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Nail



Joined: 02 Jan 2004
Posts: 425

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bani's law Laughing anti-troll measure, I like it Cool
_________________
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
gotenks



Joined: 15 Nov 2002
Posts: 4040
Location: out of my mind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you and your trolls Laughing you trying to get him to come here now?
It is a good idea, people have to say why it's bad, just saying "this isn't counterstrike" is like arguing god exists because the bible says so... (ah the good old spamming days)
_________________
My Website

After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:
WTF wanst i on top ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
=FF=im2good4u



Joined: 05 Feb 2003
Posts: 3924
Location: The Netherlands, HOLLAND

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gee to many hard word are used in this law lol not good for my english knowedge Laughing

but i think i understand that part of giving a reason before posting stuff
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DG



Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Posts: 513

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not using the goldrush and competition changes means ET turns into CS!!11
_________________
Enemy Territory & RTCW UK
GamersNation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
=FF=im2good4u



Joined: 05 Feb 2003
Posts: 3924
Location: The Netherlands, HOLLAND

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG wrote:
not using the goldrush and competition changes means ET turns into CS!!11
so you now lsot this conversation ? (me2 by pointing it out) Rolling Eyes (confusing)
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ouroboro



Joined: 26 Jul 2004
Posts: 662

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iCe_bLASt wrote:
I think this law is stupid , it makes the forum look like Counterstrike Shocked


laughing out loud
_________________
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
>>steven!



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Posts: 645
Location: Merseyside, UK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

=FF=im2weak4u wrote:
DG wrote:
not using the goldrush and competition changes means ET turns into CS!!11
so you now lsot this conversation ? (me2 by pointing it out) Rolling Eyes (confusing)


i agree, probably along with the majority of actual gamers that this is the case....

its called stating a fact not an emotion

o and DG wins the debate being alot more involved in the ET community (check jolt rtcw forums) than any1 else. (i dont always agree with what he says but he does know abit more about what CLAN-PLAYERS want)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DG



Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Posts: 513

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent played for clan in ages.

(off topic) its funny all the people's idea of who should decide what should be done with et. it almost universally includes them and as few other people as possible that they could get away with.


cup admins: "admins should decide on changes"

top clan player: "admins and top clan players who understand the game better than all the other noob peasants should decide"

'self appointed community leader': "admins and oh so important people like me should decide" (+/- topclan players is variable, depending on wether the person thinks they are important enough politically to outweigh topclans)

clan player: "clan players should decide" (which broadly includes all of above). you get the occasional call for league admins, but this is only when they expect never to win the "clan players should decide" argument and think they will have more influence over a league admin.


Of course this is quite a natural reaction, nobody wants to be left out and everyone wants the maximum influence they can acheive, even if simply to minimise how much they can be ignored (aggression vs fear). The two methods to this however vary in significant ways, the 'clean' way where you debate your point and try to acheive census or compromise, and the totalitatian style which is where you try to exclude as many people as possible and withhold information.
_________________
Enemy Territory & RTCW UK
GamersNation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
uber-noob



Joined: 20 Dec 2003
Posts: 285
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iCe_bLASt wrote:
I think this law is stupid , it makes the forum look like Counterstrike Shocked


No, this law is good. It prevents the forum to become like a CS forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    banimod / etpro / ettv forums Forum Index -> ET Pro All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group