New 3.1.6 and Trickjumping

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

AdminNOOB

New 3.1.6 and Trickjumping

Post by AdminNOOB »

Is anything going to be done about this ridiculous ability to jump 50 feet like Super Mario ? I mean, I know a lot of it is made possible w/ some of the tweaks they can do but can you make it "un-tweakable".

Also, what's the point ? If you want to get over a wall...stack your players like they do in a real tactical situation..not jump around like a Jaguar.

Also, what can be done about the ridiculous jumping deal where you can jump off a 75 foot cliff w/ 2hp and make it just fine w/ no damage if you land on a ladder...haha...what is that ? But, you die instantly w/ full health if you land in the snow of all places..but yeah, live landing on a steel ladder when you're practically dead let alone making that jump at all.

Can these things be changed in your mod or is it ET specific code ? You would think Beta Testers would have been aware of that silly option where people can get to one end of the map faster than a racecar while jumping all over buildings. Is this a war game of Super Mario w/ soldiers ?
[MoB]Seany

Post by [MoB]Seany »

if you want a real wargame go play Call of Duty...this is a faster paced less realistic game for a reason. People like having trickjumps...it adds dimension.
[MoB]

NetNut: "I never cheat on a FPS game, but i will use my aimbot for Minesweeper or Solitare."
AdminNOOB

Post by AdminNOOB »

Trickjumping is an engine fault...wasn't meant for this an no...most people hate wall jumpers as it used to get you banned till all the tweakers started competition leagues and now suddenly it's "cool". At least make an option to disable the ability to do that garbage. Ex: you can control shove distance, tank speed.....control jumps. Make sense ? I like it :)
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

Can you strafejump or trickjump with the Doom 3 engine?
Last edited by Smoke on Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b_pwnage 1
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

AdminNOOB wrote:Trickjumping is an engine fault...wasn't meant for this an no...most people hate wall jumpers as it used to get you banned till all the tweakers started competition leagues and now suddenly it's "cool". At least make an option to disable the ability to do that garbage. Ex: you can control shove distance, tank speed.....control jumps. Make sense ? I like it :)
Dude, grow a clue.

Trickjumping is NOT an engine fault. It was a fault in Quake 1. They took it out of the Quake 3 engine, but people complained - so they coded it back in on request! It is intentionally left in in RTCW/ET - it's not forced because the engine has a bug. It would be quite easy for the game makers to take out - for example, SOFII took it out.

It works like it's supposed to. It's fun, and as [MoB]Seany said, it adds another dimension to the game.

- most people do NOT hate tweakers ( they spend all their time asking if you can show them how is more like it )
- I have NEVER seen a trickjumper banned from anything
- you don't need to tweak to trickjump
- trickjumping has been around for years since before ET, it was being used in leagues and on pubs since ET was in beta

Stop winging about how you're getting owned, and start getting some skills - trickjumping is all practice.

[edit]
Smoke - I know they coded strafing into Doom3, works pretty much the same as Q3 engine strafing.
AdminNOOB

Post by AdminNOOB »

"Dude, grow a clue. " - I only go by what I read by supposed experts on forums and every forum is different. I have read that it's an engine fault which is why you have to have your FPS fixed at certain levels to maximize it.
"Trickjumping is NOT an engine fault. It was a fault in Quake 1" - WHATEVER..you know what I mean.

"It would be quite easy for the game makers to take out " - How are they going to take it out of a game already released ? This game was free for cryin' out loud and it's not perfect and YES, in the beginning. If it's supposed to be there, why must one tweak his com_maxfps to maxmize it ? If it was supposed to be that way I'm sure it would be that way...PERIOD!

"- most people do NOT hate tweakers ( they spend all their time asking if you can show them how is more like it ) " - They used to until too many had the advantage and yeah, of course everyone wants it now.....that makes sense. I mean, when I game starts being decided by people altering w/ scripts n' such rather than w/ playing skill...yeah, it's quite obvious people are going want to learn that type of thing in order to get on equal ground. Gameply should be decided by SKILL, not some damn tweak that everyone isn't aware of.

"- I have NEVER seen a trickjumper banned from anything" - They used to be banned all of the time until ETPRO came out, Comp leagues made by tweakers came out and now people have to learn how to tweak a game to stay on even levels.

"- you don't need to tweak to trickjump " - You tweak to maximize it...get an advantage (it's my opinion that option should NOT be available)
Any time any tweak gives you an advantage,...it's a form of cheating as far as I'm concerned.

"- trickjumping has been around for years since before ET, it was being used in leagues and on pubs since ET was in beta " - I'm not referring to the basic trickjumps....but rather the INSANE and STUPID jumps you get from tweaking...sounds like you're not aware of this...you need to get a clue then. I am, I use it and it makes about a 20 foot difference in some jumps. I think it's BS but I'm not going to lose because I refuse to conform either.

"Stop winging about how you're getting owned, and start getting some skills - trickjumping is all practice" - What in the world is WINGING ? I don't know if I've ever winged about getting owned. I don't get owned...I keep up on all of this stuff but I still think it's ridiculous that I should have to.

Winging..haha... Why don't you just learn to play w/out having to do ridiculous things to win.

Anyway, I just want to know if the option to limit this is going to happen...is that too much to ask ?

You can limit a shove....why can't you limit a jump. Heck, even tournaments have limits on where you can plant dyno ? Why ? If you're not going to limit insane jumps why limit where that jump takes you to plant your dyno ? There just isn't any consistency in the direction this game is going. It's favoring those willing to do anything other than just play. Oh, about you fancy trickjumpers (me getting owned..that's very, very funny. I battle clanmates w/ bots for practice and usually win..owned.....ok)...you started learning how to trickjump to win cause you couldn't shoot; you know that's the truth.

Anyway, I just want to know if that option will be limited/controlled somehow in the new 3.16....that's it.
Threshold

Re: New 3.1.6 and Trickjumping

Post by Threshold »

AdminNOOB wrote: Also, what's the point ? If you want to get over a wall...stack your players like they do in a real tactical situation..not jump around like a Jaguar.
In a League you can only Stack one person on another. Any more is illegal... This is a competition Mod so.....
AdminNOOB

Post by AdminNOOB »

Wanna know whats really gay ? You people that make speedjump scripts so you don't even have to learn how to jump far on your own.

That's what I'm talking about also.....damn scriptors that have code play the game for you. Yeah, as far as I'm concerned thats BS unless it's built into the game. It makes no sense that one gets to jump further and faster because he found a script online to where all he has to do is hit spacebar and he flies like superman...he that adds "another dimension" to the game. It's more like a lazy cheat to me. These are the things I'm referring to; sad that I have to explain myself in such detail as this is obvious and understood.
AdminNOOB

Post by AdminNOOB »

"In a League you can only Stack one person on another. Any more is illegal... This is a competition Mod so....."

EXACTLY the inconsistent type of BS made my tweakers starting competition leagues so that they ALWAYS have the advantage. Yeah, sure, make speedjump scripts so that you can jump all over the place but say that you can't stack people over the wall....which is a good teamwork tactic and if you can jump 75 feet and land just fine, why can't you stack players ? DUMB !! At least stacking players includes teamwork and is something that seven year olds can do in the park let alone soldiers. You people are funny.

ETPro....turning into a tweakers dream. This game should just be LOCKED up w/ every version and don't touch a thing, don't run a thing, don't add a script...just play.
Durinia

Re: New 3.1.6 and Trickjumping

Post by Durinia »

Threshold wrote: In a League you can only Stack one person on another. Any more is illegal... This is a competition Mod so.....
But Thresh, you forgot that comp leagues were made by the tweakers who want to make skillful things like stacking illegal to give them an advantage.

:lol:

(ps. damn, he beat me to it)
AdminNOOB

Post by AdminNOOB »

Also, whats the point of being able to jump 50 feet but not be able to climb a ten foot wall ?
Durinia

Post by Durinia »

AdminNOOB wrote:Wanna know whats really gay ? You people that make speedjump scripts so you don't even have to learn how to jump far on your own.

That's what I'm talking about also.....damn scriptors that have code play the game for you. Yeah, as far as I'm concerned thats BS unless it's built into the game. It makes no sense that one gets to jump further and faster because he found a script online to where all he has to do is hit spacebar and he flies like superman...he that adds "another dimension" to the game. It's more like a lazy cheat to me. These are the things I'm referring to; sad that I have to explain myself in such detail as this is obvious and understood.
To answer honestly: The ability to script IS built into the game! It was made that way by the developers for a REASON. It allows people to get controls they want, video settings they want (within reason), and to take the best advantage of the game engine for maximum performance. Scripting has been around for ages.

The Quake 3 engine was designed for people to tweak, so that people with lousy hardware could still play and be on a reasonably even playing field. They did that by allowing people to vary their game configurations a LOT.
AdminNOOB

Post by AdminNOOB »

"The Quake 3 engine was designed for people to tweak, so that people with lousy hardware could still play and be on a reasonably even playing field."

That I can understand but when you write a script to jump futher w/out skill....that's not evening the playing field, that's getting an unfair adavtage.

Oh yeah, why should one have to look up a rapid akimbo script hidden in some website to have their akimbos fire bullets faster than everyone elses ? Thats not level play, sorry. Yeah, you're gun fires faster than mine cause you found a script..you own buddy..good job !!!
AdminNOOB

Post by AdminNOOB »

BTW, I'm all for w/in reason...I really am. The things I'm complaining about aren't w/in reason.
Nail

Post by Nail »

and you'd like bani and company to do what, recode the game engine?
go play Dig Dug, no tweaking there
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome