Class Limits?

Request/discuss new banimod features here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

How cool would this be?

Yes
53%
No
No votes
Maybe So
16%
You're on crack!
32%

Total votes: 19

Der Kammisar

Class Limits?

Post by Der Kammisar »

Is it possible to limit the classes playable for a certain map. I know that it is for the "new" bani classes. I can't help but think how cool it would be to play where there are no soldiers allowed. Or only Engineers. Or only (really cool) snipers.

The thing that immediately pops out about this idea is that it would have to ignore the user interface. Maybe on a non-soldier map it could default you to an engineer?
Ph0g

Post by Ph0g »

Im sure he could do it, but limiting classes is super n00bish. However ruling out all but 1 weapon might be fun.....say the knife for example?
I am Ph0g, you are not.
=SWAT=Kenny

Post by =SWAT=Kenny »

i asked bani already...his reply....i'll think about it.

i want to limit by percent of the team. like only 40% can be soldiers. that means if ur team is 10 members strong u can only have a max of 4 soldiers...whether they be scout co spy panzer flamer sniper.

i would love this because i am tired of all soldier teams and all lt teams.
tihs hsidlihc fo eceip a is yefink

If alexjones8194 had a penis it would be called "useless." Reason being is all it would be good for is him stepping on it.
Der Kammisar

Post by Der Kammisar »

I looked at Bani's suggested modding sites and saw that for Quake 3 you can ban weapons. This leads me to believe that it is possible to do class limits and weapon limits. What I'm not sure of is how to tell if the modification lends itself to server side or not. Also the prob I mentioned with "defaulting" players is something I see.

I thought a little about Kenney's request (only 40% can be soldiers) and it would be tough as hell to program. Say you've got a team of five. A Leut, a Med, an Engineer, a Panzer, and a Sniper. The Leut and Med get kicked for teamkilling. What happens to the Panzer and Sniper? To get things back in balance one of them would have to respawn as a non-soldier. If you are playing a map with a lot of people this "Auto Class Balance" could get to happeniing often. Especially with the Auto Team Balance thing going on.

Anyway it's something to think about.
Gyro Gearloose

Post by Gyro Gearloose »

I just like saying "You're on crack". I think that should be an option for ALL votes!
Be seeing you!
Ohayden

This is a good idea!

Post by Ohayden »

I agree with Kenny and have often though why this feature doesn't exisit. Remember TFC from Half Life?? It has this feature. The acutal programming is not hard, it's the implementation that needs to be spec'd out. This is how I believe it should work... it's an offset from Kenny's idea:

1) Use a percentage for each class (0% meaning none, 100% no limit)
2) Only check for the limitations when a player chooses his class.
3) Base on #2, in Der Kammisar senario the soliders would still be able to play until they try to switch classes.
4) Optionally, if they die enforce the percentages.

I don't think that it should check all the time to enforce the percentage. This would slow down the game and frustate players that have already choosen their classes, nor should it "server balance" the percentages. It should only enforce the server defined pertentage during a players initial class choice or any in game class switches. This is not an absolute way of keeping teams from all being soliders, BUT it will help the matter quiet a bit from an administration view. It will help to keep the game balanced.

What does everyone think? I really want to push this feature and I'm willing to help out in any way if needed.
Ohayden
Black Adder

Post by Black Adder »

Ohayden I think you nailed it on the head. Only limiting choice at initial choosing or in-game rather than after death/tap outs is the key.
=SWAT=Kenny

Post by =SWAT=Kenny »

u guys ever play battlefield 1942? its not my favorite game however in the beta of mp it would only allow "x" number of engs...soldiers and so on. the percent thing maybe be asking a little much. maybe a limit of 6/20 per side of soldiers and 5/20 for lts. however then if u only have 6 teammates they are all soldiers u can do much. i dont have the exact answer just the begginings of an idea.

Additionally i have been watching and playing on the servers and bani and i FINALLY had some great games on axis complex last night. why were they great?

1: everyone wasnt a soldier
2: not very many newbies down load that map (although some didnt know where the obj goes)
3: there was plenty of medics
4: most were regulars on the server
5: there wasnt airstrike spam city

so learning all this i removed 2 id maps...depot and rocket. replaced them with 2 maps u have to d/l mitchell down and am hydro dam. this will clear out the newbies to the game as opposed to newbies to the maps. personally i dont get as pissed when someone is NEW to a NON-ID map. btw TRAM is an id map.
tihs hsidlihc fo eceip a is yefink

If alexjones8194 had a penis it would be called "useless." Reason being is all it would be good for is him stepping on it.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

map noobs are quite different from game noobs.

yeah, noone seemed to know where to take the docs on axis complex, didnt stop us from having lots of fun though. :twisted:
Der Kammisar

Post by Der Kammisar »

I think Ohayden's got a good idea. One small quibble tho. I count the design time as part of the programming. If I knew what I was doing most of the time, I'd be done quick. :p

Yeah, reading this post yesterday got me thinking about Kenney's comments. Certain maps do lend themselves to teamwork and to "experienced" players. Axis complex is a great one for that. Try to win on that one with your team off on thier own fragging.

Some others I've noticed encourage "good" play.

Wizernes
Secret Recipe
Fort Paderborn (I love this one)
What's that one with the church? Holy Secrets?

I've played some great games on those maps.
Ohayden

Post by Ohayden »

Der Kammisar wrote:If I knew what I was doing most of the time, I'd be done quick.
Yeah I agree with you there Der Kammisar. At our office, we say 90% is figuring out what we want to do and 10% is actually doing the work. That ratio is actually being nice ;) Most of our projects we spend more time specing than we do writing, otherwise the result will be most of the time debugging instead of running! And I hate bugs, that's why I decided not to write any more... why waste time debugging :lol:
Ohayden
Knifey

Post by Knifey »

thats why i like being on axis. (on beach) you can still win if your not organized. But on ally, normally it takes the whole team working together to win. i dont know if limiting the classes help, but i think it could make it so you dont have a team full of panzers.
yag si yennek
GanjMahal

Post by GanjMahal »

I think the only thing that should be limited is soldiers. too many soldiers puts too much of a strain on the team, because they have to have a constant supply of ammo and health. since I usually play a medic though, I have no problems with all LT teams :D . I think the limiting idea is a bad one for one main reason: the people on the team should be smart enough to choose their own classes accordingly. A better idea would be to display a message. Say your team needed a LT, and you were a panzer. maybe a message could come up saying: "Hey! You're team needs a Lieutenant! [or medic, eng., whatnot] Get your ass in gear!".. either the message would be random, or select players that played that class initially and switched. or teammates could vote to force a teamie to change classes. but that would kind of be a pain in the ass.
cade

Post by cade »

too much medics can ruin the game as well!

definitely there must be limits for each class/weapons (i.e. pairs)
just like heavy ones.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

i dont car any new fewture is fine whit me :D