Sten for Medics

Request/discuss new banimod features here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Is this a good idea?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 13

ZarkingFardwarks

Post by ZarkingFardwarks »

take bani for an example, most of the time when i see him play he just mows people over constantly with the sten because he knows how to use it well, this would be good in the hands of vets but no good for noobs, if it WAS an option i have a feeling only people who knew what they were doing would use it anyway
Black Adder

Post by Black Adder »

I requested giving the medic sten option for the same reason that /mp40 /thompson exist. Personal preference. I like sten's accuracy and think it takes a good player to wield one effectively. I always played medic when i first played RTCW because of health bonus to team (even when they don't appreciate it) After reading looooooong post by Cow about folks not using Medic as much i thought to myself "I would definitely play medic more if i could have my beloved Sten! :twisted:

Now engineer doesn't have to have sten but i suppose it wouldn't hurt while we are at it (that is if it makes it easier for you Bani to code it)

Bani it is ultimately your decision but i must say you would make one happy Adder if you can make this happen :D
The Big Bad Cow

Post by The Big Bad Cow »

[MoD]Ender wrote:Very few players that I see actually use the sten. Even when they are lt, they'll opt for the other two guns instead. Giving the sten to the meds and engies wouldn't be a bad thing since very few of them would be using it.
so not true. the sten is a gun that is hard to use, but its speed and accuracy compensates that.that is only true if you are good and are not in a server with a lot of players. the sten sucks on big servers people because the overheating is a big problem when in a firefight with multiple people. but, if you are in a small server... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: then you can easily hand some people their asses :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: . the sten is not a noob gun. if you play on servers with lots of noobs you will see that.
Memorable Quotes:
"And i'm off like a prom dress."
"This is more fun than a dozen rubber chickens!"
"Its that time of the week again... Yep. I'm in the shower."
"Froth and awe!!!"
:moo:
Der Kammisar

Post by Der Kammisar »

The way I see it is that the sten is only useful on big open maps. Since it doesn't have the "spread" of the mp40 or thompson it makes an excellent long range weapon. Thus on tram everyone possible should use the sten.

Actually a much better (IMHO) thing to give the Medic would be binoculars. Well, actually the Engineer could use the binocs better.

Hey? Why don't all the classes have binoculars? Don't see the reason not to. After all it is implemented in the scout without giving too much away.
Ph0g

Post by Ph0g »

When your an engineer a sten would be great to clear out your target before you get to it.

I like stens.....and I like medics...it would be cool to see the 2 of them together. I don't see why a medic with a sten is any more silly than a lieutenant with a sten.

Someone mentioned stens being faster? That isn't true, it appears to kill faster because it is more accurate and more of your shots hit your target, but the mp40 actualy fires 10 milliseconds faster than the sten.
I am Ph0g, you are not.
The Big Bad Cow

you just had to correct me didnt you phog :D ? fine. it fires slower. wow! 10 millisecond slower! that makes all the difference, dosnt it? but, phog, listen to me: it dosnt matter! :shakinghead:

just because you get owned by me dosnt mean you have to become my rival! :D :wink:

and by the way, hey bani! have you heard enough good excuses yet? :D
Memorable Quotes:
"Froth and awe!!!"
PsychoSnowMan

Post by PsychoSnowMan »

what about a medic with a shotgun :p
one reason i see is because the poll shows a clear majority like the sten (atleast right now) and the mp40 and thompson is already enabled so why not the sten?
i think the saving bullets is also a good reason for it and its not like were asking you to add the panzerfaust for the medic
Black Adder

Post by Black Adder »

Ok Bani 20+ replies and a majority vote for it.

So Sten for Medics? Coming to a future Banimod version?
The Big Bad Cow

he still hasnt replied yet... :( WHAT ELSE DO WE HAVE TO DO?
Memorable Quotes:
"Froth and awe!!!"
Black Adder

Post by Black Adder »

Good things come to those who wait.....I hope.
The Big Bad Cow

the only thing i have gotten from waiting is a bad case of carpal tunnel syndrome from being at the computer so long. :( maybe i should get out more...nah. :wink:
Memorable Quotes:
"Froth and awe!!!"
GanjMahal

Post by GanjMahal »

i'm still kind of torn on this issue. Look at what the medic usually does: his job is to blast the shit out of the [hopefully] weakened enemy player[s], and revive his comrade. Yes, a Sten may be nice for this, but it's hard to get around the overheating issue. Stens are nice because it teaches you to fire in short bursts, which is really what you ought to do with a machine gun anyway for accuracy reasons. If you fire short, controlled bursts with any of the other SMG's you get the same effect. For this reason, I distrust the Sten gun. I think a better weapon for the Medic would be the FG42 Paratroop rifle. that gun OWNS.

I heard a good idea back there: the shotgun. that would be nice with a medic I think.
alexjones8194

Post by alexjones8194 »

can we implement shotgun as a soldier or lt weapon? I LOVE the shotgun. can u make it louder when it shoots? its like pop THEN MONSTER RECOIL. its strange
Black Adder

Post by Black Adder »

Wonderful news with beta 1.1.20 !
Black Adder wrote:
bani wrote:new features:
/sten now available for g_choosesmg
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! :jump:
http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/vi ... .php?t=564
Whammo!

Post by Whammo! »

Technically medics didn't carry any weapons...

Maybe take away medic weapons and make him invincible but slow and maybe a delay between revives.