Can't get ETTV to run :(

Forum for discussing ET TV

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

CTM

Can't get ETTV to run :(

Post by CTM »

If I try and run ETTV it locks up and causes an application fault:
Faulting application ettv.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module ettv.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00005b3a.
The normal ET console appears and stops at "Bypassing CD Checks" - it never gets as far as Client Initialisation Complete :(

I've tried it on clean installations of ET, ETPRO 3.1 and 3.18, removing all the custom PK3s, disabling punkbuster, etc. The computer I'm running it on is using Windows 2003 Server. ETTV starts on my Windows XP SP2 machine with all kinds of crap CFG & PK3s so I'm kinda at a loss.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Obviously it's something about the Win2003 box but I've tried everything I can think of. Oh and both the Win2003 and XP boxes are running the same AV so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

Help!
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

i tryed win32 since i was bored and it also stopped at bypassing cd cecks for me
CTM

Post by CTM »

What kind of error message did you get? Was it exactly the same as mine?

I've been able to run ET-TV on 2 other different Win2003 boxes with no problem.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

i got no error i took to long so i didnt wait and closed it

and im on XP. (no im not waiting on reply about my os)
CTM

Post by CTM »

(no im not waiting on reply about my os)
Sorry im2weak4u I don't get what you mean.

BUT...I got it working. It's not an ideal solution but if I use Program Compatibility" and set it to "Windows 98 / ME" it works.

And I have to say ET-TV is awesome. Super stable. I've been broadcasting matches for clanbase. First time I tried 100 clients. The last match 150 clients and it ran perfectly. Rock solid. Nice one Bani! :D

Thinking of trying 175 or 200 slots next time...
trog

Post by trog »

Hmm, I've just tried to set up on Windows 2000 and having a similar problem. Gets to the 'Bypassing CD Checks' then the process dies with a program error.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

I know that kunckles had trouble getting it to run on win2k3. Works fine for me on win2k.
send lawyers, guns and money
CTM

Post by CTM »

I'm still having the same problem and I can't find a pattern to be able to identify the cause. Although it's useful to know that problem also occurs on Windows 2000 as that rules out something OS specific.

What spec is the Win2K box trog?
DG

Post by DG »

FWIW i had ettv running on a win2k box, just as a basic test though, havent had it running through a match or anything (fwiw i think it went tit's up on map change but lots of ettv have had that as a problem and i havent had chance to test it again).
trog

Post by trog »

CTM wrote:What spec is the Win2K box trog?
Sorry about the late reply - its a duel Xeon 2.8ghz w/ 2gb of RAM
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

i need access to a w2k3 machine in order to debug the problem.
CTM

Post by CTM »

I'm happy to give you Administrator access to one of mine via RDP. There are free clients for windows and Linux. What's the best way to sort you out Bani?

Thanks for the specs Trog. My hunch is that it's somehow related to the CPU type / count. It crashes on an HT P4 and dual Xeon Dell boxes I have access to but not a single Xeon Dell box. It also doesn't crash on OEM single non HT P4's. But I could be barking up the wrong tree completely. :)
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

you can pm me the username/password and ip address to rdp.

microsoft changed the windows api in w2k3 and some applications break (including some of microsoft's own applications). so this is no suprise.