ET Pro 3.1.13 Public Beta Release

Official ET Pro announcements here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

deej

Post by deej »

Abstract that is normal, this bug happens in "listen mode". You should start your server dedicated, that's the only possible solution.
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
Neith

Post by Neith »

new etpro beta keeps crashing on my computer... i think it's due to some video settings... (strange btw... it never crashed before with any version)
when i try to host a game with just default et configuration (without my config)... here's the error:

ERROR: etpro wants ET 2.60 win-x86 Mar 10 2005, not

but... et 2.60 it's correctly installed onto my computer

]\version
"version" is:"ET 2.60 win-x86 Mar 10 2005^7" default:"ET 2.60 win-x86 Mar 10 2005^7"

i already tried a clean install (without any pack, old etpro versions, etc...). the error occurs as soon as etpro finish to load whatever map

:?:
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

Neith wrote:new etpro beta keeps crashing on my computer... i think it's due to some video settings... (strange btw... it never crashed before with any version)
etpro doesnt work correctly as a listenserver. you need to use etded.exe to run a server instead.
'old etpro' would let you get away with this, the new one won't (though the error message needs work).
Adacore

Post by Adacore »

If it's possible to implement no damagedropoff and wolfrof, would it be possible to make the cvars variable? I've seen a few people asking from a msec value input to wolfrof and some kind of variable slope for damagedropoff would also be good imo.

Along similar lines, with damagedropoff the only change I would probably make would be to increase the damage done by longrange headshots. This seems to be what irritates most people - getting multiple headshots without doing much damage - I don't feel one should remove the falloff here either, just make the minimum something more like 20-30 than the current really low value (it's about 10, isn't it?)
SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

bani wrote:
Neith wrote:new etpro beta keeps crashing on my computer... i think it's due to some video settings... (strange btw... it never crashed before with any version)
etpro doesnt work correctly as a listenserver. you need to use etded.exe to run a server instead.
'old etpro' would let you get away with this, the new one won't (though the error message needs work).
What? :shock:

How are we supposed to load a local map then? What's the workaround? (as in: how do I start ET with a previous version of etpro?)

I don't even get an error message it's straight to desktop with "ET.exe has encountered a problem ...)
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

sickboy, iirc there are a few things that break when etpro is ran as a listenserver, it's just easier to start a dedicated server using it, especially for testing
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
LoZz

Re: Mistake

Post by LoZz »

bani wrote:
sgone:red. wrote:Excellent work Bani, bar two of the worst mistakes the ETPro team have ever made:

Damage falloff and ROF.

I'd like to hear your argument for implementing them. I think the whole ET community have the right to know why you've introduced these.
both distance falloff and rof have been discussed on these forums.

distance falloff proposal by demoman
general distance falloff discussion
another distance falloff discussion
there were pros and cons, but no real argument against making it a cvar. enough people wanted it as an option, so it went in.

rof has also been discussed on and off, again no real argument against making it a cvar, so again it went in.

i've implemented many ideas which were not proposed by anyone (eg pluggable tournament configs, shoutcaster mode, semiadmin (which is actually from rtcw banimod), sv_cvar restriction system, other stuff). the distance falloff and rof were ideas initially proposed by forum members.

still, i've been told the two worst mistakes etpro has ever made were hitsounds and xp limiting... :lol:

remove damagealteration to distance

yes 28% [ 21 ]

no 71% [ 52 ]

this is the result from a poll in your own forum, why bring in an option that most people said "NO" to?? I dont understand why you would introduce something 71% of people said "NO" too? why only please the minority? :?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

SickBoy wrote:What? :shock:

How are we supposed to load a local map then? What's the workaround? (as in: how do I start ET with a previous version of etpro?)
in the 'host game' menu, change 'dedicated server' to 'yes - lan'. it will start up a ded server with a console window. you can 'devmap blabla' how you like.

then you can connect to yourself by starting up et.exe and /connect your.own.ip
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

LoZz wrote:this is the result from a poll in your own forum, why bring in an option that most people said "NO" to?? I dont understand why you would introduce something 71% of people said "NO" too? why only please the minority? :?
enough people wanted it an option, and there wasn't any good argument against denying them the option as a cvar. don't like it? fine, don't enable the cvar.

look at the arguments against changing xp for example. had adjustable xp levels gone to a vote, it would have been something like 90% against. pub servers don't use adjustable xp levels, but clan servers do heavily. but pub servers vastly outnumber clan servers.
Squale

Post by Squale »

Thank bani
good job again

ANTI cheat are upgraded it's very importante things
now we need to upgrade server cfg and cvar force for best effect players.

when do you ETPRO version will be officiel for all leagues ?
can you inform me when it will be up ? like version ETPRO 3.2.0
Obediance is Victory and Victory is Life
http://www.clansqlm.com
SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

bani wrote:in the 'host game' menu, change 'dedicated server' to 'yes - lan'. it will start up a ded server with a console window. you can 'devmap blabla' how you like.

then you can connect to yourself by starting up et.exe and /connect your.own.ip
The client crashes when I do that.

I guess I'll just make yet another installment of ET with a previous version of etpro and/or ET. I do hope you manage to find a fix for this, I'm running out of desktop space for ET icons :D
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

SickBoy wrote:The client crashes when I do that.
its not supposed to :?

sounds like your et 2.60 install is messed up somehow.
SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

When I do the same with the same 2.60 install but with a etmain server it works.
wipeout

Post by wipeout »

bani wrote:
SickBoy wrote:The client crashes when I do that.
its not supposed to :?

sounds like your et 2.60 install is messed up somehow.
I tried setting up a dedicated server, then starting et and /connect 127.0.0.1 -> et crashed
Then I deleted all .pk3's of previous etpros (my 2nd et install was just a copy of my first + patch 2.6) and it worked.
LoZz

Post by LoZz »

bani wrote:
LoZz wrote:this is the result from a poll in your own forum, why bring in an option that most people said "NO" to?? I dont understand why you would introduce something 71% of people said "NO" too? why only please the minority? :?
enough people wanted it an option, and there wasn't any good argument against denying them the option as a cvar. don't like it? fine, don't enable the cvar.

look at the arguments against changing xp for example. had adjustable xp levels gone to a vote, it would have been something like 90% against. pub servers don't use adjustable xp levels, but clan servers do heavily. but pub servers vastly outnumber clan servers.

26 % is enough is it?

imho if your just gonna put something in regradless of what the majority think it is a tad silly.

but any way your right there is no against arguement yet that you have hered of (yet) but once people start getting wtf powned in the eye by cross fire on oasis trying to capture the flag, and when people just get owned by axis superfast mp40 body shots then there might be an arguement :lol:

of course very very celverly (well done i might add) you have intoduced it as an option which means it would be the server admin/config/leagues fault not yours :)

imho if ether of these new options (rof and fall off damge) gets introduced into a league/cup/ladder the axis with there faster weapons and now thanks to fall off damage are going to complete wtf pwn the allies by camping around corners and the crossfire , did that idea/arguement about why it shouldn't be used come up anywhere? because to me that is a pritty damn good one if these are used it will be massivly unfair to the allies and we will be at the "et tv is boring because of so many full holds" stage again :roll:

btw if i sugest something, and it is possible to do, and there is no VAILED argument of why it SHOULD'NT be done, would you on those grounds, regardless of the polls consider intoduceing it in a beta??

p.s. oasis is an example, other palces where the axis cross fire would pwn would be the whole of oasis, goldrush bank stage, reactor_b3, battery the first stage, fuel dump and rail gun AND radar last stage like on the tin roof, they will just murder anyone up there now.

but anyway id feel guilty if i didnt voice my thinking on the matter/ idea, gl with the new etpro what ever you deside to do.

*EDIT* Now im on the subject, how do you think the pistol will fair vs the mp40 now its super fast, what with the pistols slow rate of fire and its recoil it will be a pee shooter vs a rocket launcher,

also a grand/k43 has a slow rate of fire, how are they supost to now combat the super fast mp40 :/ before they can even fire there 3rd shot they would be dead.

there are reasons why splash damage made diffrent rof.