ET Pro 3.1.14 Public Beta Release

Official ET Pro announcements here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

squadjot

Post by squadjot »

sneaky1 wrote:do you guys who are against it know what an "option" is? simply put, have it or don't have it. it's there if you want it. just as hitsounds.
did u know..that if youre a competition player atm.. you do NOT have an option, your enemy still have that advantage over you even if u turn it off.

the argument for implementing hitsounds unmotivated was "to make the game more interesting".... yes, "interesting" for the masses, adn in general, because its naturally "interesting" to know how much damage u give your enemy, and thats the exact effect u get by hitsounds.. you know when,..and how much damage you give your enemy (in ruff numbers)

and.. this was implemented straight away into league setups..EVEN that the hitsound "feature" imo had MAJOR flaws/cheat even.. you could extend your "enemy-awareness" ..by using nades and airstrikes..mortars..any weapon infact.. (that part has now been fixed, but just the fact that this happened, are telling me at what level were operating)

..now.. hitsounds (fixed) MAY seem pretty harmless.. i dont blame the masses that they like it.. but it DOES change the game..and from a striclty game/ethic point of view..i must say, again, hitsounds has NOTHING to do in a game like et.. nothing.
mortis

Post by mortis »

a force cvar command should be able to turn it off, i imagine.....
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

mortis wrote:a force cvar command should be able to turn it off, i imagine.....
the question is not if its technically possible to disable ffs ... its happening! ..cause..somewhere they just dont mind..if its in or not.. they just do what the masses want..

but..the masses, are imo not the right ones to ask.. cause thats alot of single indiviualists saying.."yeah offcourse i want my hitsounds" .. "like..yeah i wanna wallhack so i ownzor"... "yeah i wanna spawntimer so i can spawncampzor"...

come on folks.. i cant beleive this..

edit: im getting thrown the "but its up to the leagues to implement it or not"- in the face all the time.... well ..thast true.. in the court.. but..WHY isnt it the other way around then. if the leagues should REALLy have the final say..then let THEM decide what etpro needs...let the leagues make featuer requests.. if they apparently have the responsibilty..and not etpro team..maybe they shuild be more aware of that... and a board or comitee ..maybe woundt be a bad idea afterall

2nd edit: reason why peopel are posting here, and "whining" as people call it.., are that; theres more than one league..and ladders..who deciddes? ..after all etpro forum..IS centrum for this discussion.. i hope the league admin-"people" are watching..
DG

Post by DG »

squadjot wrote: did u know..that if youre a competition player atm.. you do NOT have an option, your enemy still have that advantage over you even if u turn it off.
its optional SERVER SIDE, not client side - well, optional for pub servers and league admins anyway, since for clanwar it'd be set on or off in a provided .config.

For players it's optional to the extent of deciding wether to play on a pub server or in a league that does/doesnt use it.

FWIW, I dont like the option either, for similar reasons that I dislike Shrub (and now ETPub too) - all it's shit is also optional.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

DG wrote:
squadjot wrote: did u know..that if youre a competition player atm.. you do NOT have an option, your enemy still have that advantage over you even if u turn it off.
its optional SERVER SIDE, not client side - well, optional for pub servers and league admins anyway, since for clanwar it'd be set on or off in a provided .config.

For players it's optional to the extent of deciding wether to play on a pub server or in a league that does/doesnt use it.
again ..not the point... i dont care about that technically you can this and that.. i KNOW when i play a clanwar tomorrow..i ahve hitsounds.. and if i dont start some serious whining* ..and taking my chance while people are aware of theese moer or less drastic changes.. it will stay..

i have less directly opion about rof ..and stuff.. its in general.. we need to control this in a cohearent manner..somehow.. my suggestion..is a comitee..board..with peopel from differdent leagues..and repspected profiles (comp players)

edit : really? there are leagues that have hitsounds disabled?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

NOYB wrote:+dropweapon has more reasons for being included in a competiton ET mod than wolf rate of fire. Fat chance ever seeing it though. Bani, doesn't want it in his mod. Optional or not.
wrong.

it's just not trivial to add. you want a working dropweapon or one that breaks all kinds of shit?

please stop pretending to speak on my behalf. thanks.
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

squadjot:
well, regarding the hitsounds, as they are now, they only augment the visual indicators of where you hit.

and wallhax, well they didn't exactly implement that, did they? in fact they put in a very impressive effort with the anticheat system.

and the spawntimer, well, i don't know if you remember the arguments they had for putting it in, but it was somewhere along the lines of: there is no way we can prevent it, so we might as well include it.

but here's the thing, most of the features added by the etpro team, were made not because the public demanded it, but because they felt like it ;)
in the end, it's bani and crew who has the final word, not the leagues and not the public.

it's very diffucult, if not impossible to form a board of people who decides what features are to be added into etpro. first of all, if you made a mod, how would you feel about someone telling you what you can or cannot do, i mean these guys are doing it in their spare time, and nobody is paying them (except for the occasional offers for mansechs). second, who would assemble that group? and what's stopping them for making clanbase like decisions?

i do understand your outcry about if there is an option, someone is gonna use it. but your solutions are very far fetched, or already tried and failed.

edit: i re-read my post, the grammar nazi, stroke again
Last edited by Lagger on Fri May 13, 2005 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Lagger youre so right, first off. im having trouble expressing myself right thru "low>med-skill" uk-lingo :P.. but i dig what ure saying about etpro team woundt have nice time developing a mod.. under "demands" from leagues.. or a board.. i realize that but again..a bit squared view.it does not have to be like that.

I just HOPED that we could all be less ..i dunno..stubborn..hardheaded.. not the right words.. and even MORE than just "willing to coorporate".. but actaully take a initiatives.. for the better.. and together make decisions ..and this time not from individual point of view.. but from community/game point of view..

you say this has already been tried?..and failed?.. im sorry im late in the game there.. i wonder why havent heard about it tho..

edit: ive posted numerous lines about how amazing work etpro team has done/does.. and i admire theire dedication and skills .. no doubt about it. Imo im only saying that im taking this quite serious..and etpro holds the future of "my game"..
007-Bond

Re: client/server mismatch error

Post by 007-Bond »

gotenks wrote: problem 1. sv_pure 0... it should be set to 1
problem 2. multiple pk3's (etpro 3.1.9, and 3.1.12 for example) (possible)
problem 3. argh, cannot remember what i did, but check the files in your directory to make sure they're a. the same as on the http redirect if your using it, b. valid, and c. correctly refrenced
Problem 1. sv_pure 1. Yes the server has that set in the cfg (set sv_pure "1").
Problem 2. multiple pk3's. Do you mean on the server?? I checked and no, there is only etpro-3.1.14..pk3 on the server.
Problem 3. Check files to be A:same as on HTTP redirect. B:valid. C:correctly referenced.
A:actually the files were taken from the http redirect using wget, so yes they should be the same.
B:how might I go about doing that. I have the etpro-3.1.14.pk3, ourcampaign.pk3, and ourmod.pk3 (just a texture/sound mod, including a green flamer mod I made :D).
C:by this you mean in the server cfg? things like the default campaign file etc? Then yes any option set in the server config, should be set corectly (campaign, mapscripts folder, etc).

I have gotten a workaround for it so it dosen't kick me every map change. Don't ask how but I figured out this works, but it is annoying.

I use a batch file to delete the "etconfig.cfg" out of the "etmaiin/profiles/user/" folder and launch the game with the following command arguments "+set cl_punkbuster 1 +connect se.rv.er.ip +set fs_game etpro". And I can't use an autoexec.cfg in etmain.

This seems to work, but I have to either vid_restart or play through an entire map for my visual settings to change (which is terribly annoying).
gotenks wrote:argh, cannot remember what i did
So you mean it isn't only me that this has happened to? Everyone else I know seems to have no issues.

Sorry for such a long post, but I just can't figure this out. :evil:
I hope this info might help me get this corrected.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

when i initially set etpro 3.1.13 up i had a couple issues...
1. my server host doesn't give me direct access to server, so i have to overwrite the etpro-3_1_0.pk3 file with an empty pk3 file to remove it...
2. i connected and only had the blah blah multiple pk3 errors
3. uploaded new "empty" pk3 file and restarted... server gave me same error...
4. after 2 hours of looking arround and trying to find the error i found it, and fixed it... now i forgot :(
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
NOYB

Post by NOYB »

Breaks all kinds of shit? Like what?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

NOYB wrote:Breaks all kinds of shit? Like what?
breaks picking up other weapons after you've dropped them. breaks weaponlimits. tiny little inconsequential things like that.
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

rofl. don't listen to em bani.

for crying out loud, will you people stop crying for dropweapon already? i bet it's the most discussed topic on these forums yet it's the least important. gg
007-Bond

Post by 007-Bond »

gotenks wrote:when i initially set etpro 3.1.13 up i had a couple issues...
1. my server host doesn't give me direct access to server, so i have to overwrite the etpro-3_1_0.pk3 file with an empty pk3 file to remove it...
2. i connected and only had the blah blah multiple pk3 errors
3. uploaded new "empty" pk3 file and restarted... server gave me same error...
4. after 2 hours of looking arround and trying to find the error i found it, and fixed it... now i forgot :(
Well that just suckx for me then don't it :P

anyway, I'll just keep playing the way I am for now, hopefully someday I will figure out the answer.... any one else have any thoughts??
RtcwPla0r

Post by RtcwPla0r »

NOYB wrote:+dropweapon has more reasons for being included in a competiton ET mod than wolf rate of fire...
I'm really waiting long time for this one and looking forward on the day when this feature going to be added.

Regards
All your base are belong to us!