PunkBuster and CD key

Discussion for Admins of ETPro/BayonET servers.
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

gjrc

PunkBuster and CD key

Post by gjrc »

so here is my problem.

i run a public clan server. since updating it and since PB was updated i now try to connect to my server and i get hte valid cd key error however if i try to connect to other servers i dont get this error at all??

how can this be the case? is there some setting i am missing in my server.cfg?

wtf is going on. i dont want to have to delete my etekey everytime since i use etadmin mod and it relies on my GUID

can anyone help?

thanks

g

/edit - just been informed by our serve rprovider that they ahve been having network issues - i suppose this coudl account for the guid atuh errors??
EagleReloaded

Post by EagleReloaded »

Pretty much everyone has been encountering this for weeks now, completely intermittent. Many of us have lodged support tickets with EvenBalance to no avail thus far. If you can't delete your ETKey then I've nfi what options are available to you. Some people restart ET, some restart their computer, some connect to a working server then trying reconnecting again.
Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul.
Lekdevil.NL

Post by Lekdevil.NL »

The exact cause of this problem is rather complex and will take a long post to describe (which I will do when I've got the time).

The short version is: under certain circumstances (that is the long story), the PB GUID Auth server will tell the ET server you're connecting to that it has not received your CD key yet. That bit of false information is then cached on the ET server for 3 minutes. During that time, all your reconnect attempts (at least when using the same CD key) will fail.

The easiest course of action when getting that "Valid CD Key..." message is to wait for 3 minutes, and then reconnect.
gjrc

Post by gjrc »

Lekdevil.NL wrote:The exact cause of this problem is rather complex and will take a long post to describe (which I will do when I've got the time).

The short version is: under certain circumstances (that is the long story), the PB GUID Auth server will tell the ET server you're connecting to that it has not received your CD key yet. That bit of false information is then cached on the ET server for 3 minutes. During that time, all your reconnect attempts (at least when using the same CD key) will fail.

The easiest course of action when getting that "Valid CD Key..." message is to wait for 3 minutes, and then reconnect.
how crap

why cant they sort this out

:(