Tool: ET Starter Pro

Discussion for ET Players

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Dubya

Post by Dubya »

Another suggestion: how about an option to delete profile.pid?
I've never ran into that. What would be the benefit of deleting this file? Actually I dont even have such a file in my ET dir.
Profile.pid gets removed by the normal ET shutdown process -- it will only exist if ET crashes. And if ET does crash, it can do some messing of graphical settings and other "unsafe" settings in your profile on next start, causing much headache since the crash is often not related to those settings.

Profile.pid resides in one's profile directory, so it could exist in multiple places depending on when the game crashed: /etmain/profiles/%playername%; /etpub/profiles/%playername%; /etpro/profiles/%playername% and whatnot.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

Sauron|EFG wrote:
[pH*Deus] wrote:My opinion is: every external programm that interacts in any way with et shall be banned and be rewarded with ban anyways.
Then we should ban ASE and XFIRE, and while we're at it we should disallow using Explorer (the desktop) to start ET as well. :)

---

Nice work Tintifax_x!
XFIRE already show up as cheat and is in that way plocked ? or did this got fixed ? i dunno :roll:
as for the rest deus isnt trying to flame him read it more carefully
PincheGab

Post by PincheGab »

Dubya wrote:Profile.pid gets removed by the normal ET shutdown process -- it will only exist if ET crashes.
This is only the case with 2.60... anyone using earlier versions needs to delete the .pid file before restarting ET or the graphics will reset as if ET had crached.
Spoofeh

Post by Spoofeh »

Dubya wrote: Profile.pid gets removed by the normal ET shutdown process -- it will only exist if ET crashes.
It's not handled correctly with mods (at least in 2.56, it may have been fixed in 2.60), so it happens even if ET doesn't crash.

Start etmain, then connect to an etpro server and then quit. ET will not delete the profile.pid in your etmain profile in this case, and the next time you start etmain ET will reset your resolution to 800*600 (among other things).

Another feature suggestion: integrate Rain's fix-gamma so that you easily can reset gamma if ET crashed.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

=FF=im2weak4u wrote:
Sauron|EFG wrote:
[pH*Deus] wrote:My opinion is: every external programm that interacts in any way with et shall be banned and be rewarded with ban anyways.
Then we should ban ASE and XFIRE, and while we're at it we should disallow using Explorer (the desktop) to start ET as well. :)

---

Nice work Tintifax_x!
XFIRE already show up as cheat and is in that way plocked ? or did this got fixed ? i dunno :roll:
as for the rest deus isnt trying to flame him read it more carefully
you can still connect to servers via xfire, so it's not blocked... that's all this program does is let you connect to servers...
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Tintifax_x

Post by Tintifax_x »

Dubya wrote:Profile.pid gets removed by the normal ET shutdown process -- it will only exist if ET crashes. And if ET does crash, it can do some messing of graphical settings and other "unsafe" settings in your profile on next start, causing much headache since the crash is often not related to those settings.

Profile.pid resides in one's profile directory, so it could exist in multiple places depending on when the game crashed: /etmain/profiles/%playername%; /etpub/profiles/%playername%; /etpro/profiles/%playername% and whatnot.
Thanks mates for the explanations, I will mind this in my next build ;)
Sauron|EFG wrote:Another feature suggestion: integrate Rain's fix-gamma so that you easily can reset gamma if ET crashed.
Also a very good suggestion, thank you! :)

Sl, Tinti
PincheGab

Post by PincheGab »

gotenks wrote:you can still connect to servers via xfire, so it's not blocked... that's all this program does is let you connect to servers..
I think what he meant was that players with xFire show(ed?) up under etpro /cheaters as "suspicious".. Cuz xFire peeked/poked at the video memory, looking very much like a cheat.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

you can also disable the opengl overlay, and it doesn't show up as anything via etpro... THIS is what his program essentially does
My Website
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Sauron|EFG wrote: It's not handled correctly with mods (at least in 2.56, it may have been fixed in 2.60), so it happens even if ET doesn't crash.
It is fixed in 2.6

If you never want your settings to get reset even if you did crash, in 2.60 you can add +set com_ignorecrash 1 in the command line. This must be in the command line, not the config, as it need to be known early.
send lawyers, guns and money
Dubya

Post by Dubya »

It's not handled correctly with mods (at least in 2.56, it may have been fixed in 2.60), so it happens even if ET doesn't crash.
I so forgot about 2.56 already -- now I remember why I knew about profile.pid in the first place!
booger

Post by booger »

All I can say is that you are blaming me for Evenbalance's faults. There indeed would not be any need for deleting the etkey file, if Evenbalance would finally manage to sort out the "Valid cdkey is not reaching Guidauth server" error which many ppl are encountering.
Thats the lamest excuse for changing cdkeys ive ever heard.It isnt the key itself,its pb's server causing the problem.
Any decnt batch/sh file could do the same thing.
On servers that dont run etpro,often times there is a shrubbot,I don't know how many time I've had to reset levels because some schmuck deleted his etkey.Same goes for admin mod.
PincheGab

Post by PincheGab »

booger wrote:Thats the lamest excuse for changing cdkeys ive ever heard.
Really? A solution that seemingly works for a problem whose details no one can explain? When word got out that deleting the key would "fix" the problem, it was the only way for people to try to fix the problem.

Now we know that if you try again after three minutes it will probably work, and as for the cause all we know is that EvenBalance has to fix it. Not much info to go on. People will contionue to shoot blanks (stand on your head, start the game and leave the room quickly, reset your broadband modem, etc...) until EB fixes it.
booger

Post by booger »

Simply stating the obvious.These past few days,I haven't seen the problem once.
Deus

Post by Deus »

PincheGab wrote:A solution that seemingly works for a problem whose details no one can explain?
Lekdevil.NL wrote:The exact cause of this problem is rather complex and will take a long post to describe (which I will do when I've got the time).

The short version is: under certain circumstances (that is the long story), the PB GUID Auth server will tell the ET server you're connecting to that it has not received your CD key yet. That bit of false information is then cached on the ET server for 3 minutes. During that time, all your reconnect attempts (at least when using the same CD key) will fail.

The easiest course of action when getting that "Valid CD Key..." message is to wait for 3 minutes, and then reconnect.
the thread: http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/vi ... 6974#56974
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

[pH*Deus] wrote:
PincheGab wrote:A solution that seemingly works for a problem whose details no one can explain?
Lekdevil.NL wrote:The exact cause of this problem is rather complex and will take a long post to describe (which I will do when I've got the time).

The short version is: under certain circumstances (that is the long story), the PB GUID Auth server will tell the ET server you're connecting to that it has not received your CD key yet. That bit of false information is then cached on the ET server for 3 minutes. During that time, all your reconnect attempts (at least when using the same CD key) will fail.

The easiest course of action when getting that "Valid CD Key..." message is to wait for 3 minutes, and then reconnect.
the thread: http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/vi ... 6974#56974
just to note, on my old isp i'd wait and connect and do everything... and i'd still get the error... only changing from my college's isp to a commercial isp worked
My Website