b_realHead Request

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

SoL

b_realHead Request

Post by SoL »

I understand why most introduced cvars are left at their default value, so as not to "impose" any gameplay changes on those who don't want them. However, for certain cvars, namingly b_realHead, I don't understand why leaving it at "0" by default is necessary. Most, if not all leagues have b_realHead 1 forced in their configs, and most competent public server admins have it forced to 1 also. The vast majority of etpro public servers have it on 0 though, and I'm sure it's because the admins simply don't know about the cvar or don't know what it does. It may sound harsh but I'm also quite sure most of the casual public players wouldn't even notice any difference if it was on 1. It's quite frustrating jumping on a public server to warm up and find out it's doing anything but helping as it has b_realHead 0. I know you could say "then just go on b_realHead 1 servers" but a far more sensible solution would be making b_realHead 1 the default, and 0 optional. Although I can't see how anyone would want to use 0. I can't really see any reasonable argument for leaving it on 0.

So my request is simple: make b_realhead 1 default, as opposed to 0, please.
Tron

Post by Tron »

Very much agree!

What adds to it is that even if you want to make sure you play on b_realhead 1 servers only, you can only find out about the cvar after joining a server (with /pb_cvarval b_realhead), which is very time consuming given that there are so many servers which have it at the default value.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

i've seen arguments (fairly invalid and/or innept) for keeping it 0, but keeping it close to vanilla was the original idea
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

I couldn't agree more with the OP.
wntrmt

Post by wntrmt »

Full ACK here too. And I play almost only on publics..
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

we should conside not every mode know how to run a server

that no reason to say dont run one its a reason for them to learn :D

bet whne they put in etpro they like to paly er and want to choose settings theirself

etpro defalut should be the same as nrmal et well mostly
SoL

Post by SoL »

Not trying to be rude but I genuinely haven't got a clue what you just said, could anyone decode that for me?

I notice most of your posts are quite unreadable, I respect your ability to learn a foreign language and I can accept that it isn't easy, but simply reading over your post would be more than useful, eg. defalut -> default. Unless you're dyslexic, it's just sheer laziness.

Anyway back on topic, does anyone from the etpro team have something to say regarding this? If people want to stick so religiously to vanilla ET then can a filter be made or something? I just don't understand how sticking to vanilla ET (in this case) is such a wise idea.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

he said we should keep etpro defaults set to etmain defaults, well mostly
My Website
zinx

Post by zinx »

It's probably a good idea to enable it; historically it was probably disabled due to the possibility of bugs (which at this point, are pretty unlikely).
But I'm too lazy to do so.
Sorry :D
Zinx Verituse http://zinx.xmms.org/
deej

Post by deej »

zinx wrote:It's probably a good idea to enable it; historically it was probably disabled due to the possibility of bugs (which at this point, are pretty unlikely).
But I'm too lazy to do so.
Sorry :D
But even the etpub guys have done so ;-).

With new damage fall off code thingie coming, why not quickly add this request? Please? Pretty please?
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
wipeout

Post by wipeout »

And what about b_fixedphysics. I think it's defaulting to 0 either(?)
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

=FF=im2good4u wrote:we should conside not every mode know how to run a server

that no reason to say dont run one its a reason for them to learn :D

bet whne they put in etpro they like to paly er and want to choose settings theirself

etpro defalut should be the same as nrmal et well mostly
Your point is that the server admins like to choose settings for themselves? They can still do that if realhead 1 is in by default, it just means the clueless end up running a better pub server.

Same for fixedphysics 1...
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

it's one now :yay: scorn is gonna hate it :P
My Website