Slow startup :O

Discussion for ET Players

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Decade

Slow startup :O

Post by Decade »

Recently enemy territory takes a long time to start, it doesn't happen everytime, but very frequently. Basically it hangs for almost a minute between

Code: Select all

Started tty console (use +set ttycon 0 to disable)
and

Code: Select all

^5PunkBuster Client: PB_SYSTEM = 1 (0 to 1)
in the startup process. Is it a punkbuster problem? I think it happens with wolfenstein and quake3 too. Suggestions? :o
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

try setting cl_autoupdate 0 and see if that helps
Decade

Post by Decade »

cl_autoupdate is already 0, are you sure you didn't mean another cvar (maybe punkbuster related)? Afaik cl_autoupdate 1 shows the "a new version is available" message on unpatched et

edit: it is a punkbuster issue. If I start the client with +pb_cl_disable I get a normal startup.

My first idea is that punkbuster wasn't able to connect to some seerver because the needed port was closed, but the problem persists if I use dmz (forward all ports) on my router

edit again: I get slow startup with +pb_cl_disable, I seem to get normal startup with pb_system 0

edit again: I get slow startup with pb_system 0 too :(
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

actually it's the same issue you are afflicted by twice :)

both punkbuster and cl_autoupdate 1 contact a server on startup. both use a dns lookup, and this has a huge timeout - in the meantime ET hangs.

try typing pb_cl_disable instead of at command line and then restart. If you subsequently get any punkbuster messages in your log it is activated somewhere in your autoexec.cfg
Decade

Post by Decade »

You are right, the commands in my autoexec.cfg had the priority over the pb_cl_disable on command line.
Now I renamed my autoexec and when I start the game (trying to conect to a server) disabling punkbuster, I have normal startup times (I tried a couple of times). Of course, I am presented with the screen that says that punkbuster must be enabled in order to join that server; when I click on enable punkbuster, the game hangs for a minute. Now the big question: how do I solve this? :)

Can anybody tell me which server punkbuster tries to contact, to see if it is resolved correctly?
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

you may have incorrectly configured dns settings, either on your computer or on your router. your computer and router should automatically obtain dns adresses.
Decade

Post by Decade »

Lagger wrote:you may have incorrectly configured dns settings, either on your computer or on your router. your computer and router should automatically obtain dns adresses.
Yep, my router automatically obtains the dns servers from my isp and my pc obtains them from the routher via dhcp. Should I try to set different dns? (I'm not sure on how to do it :oops: on gentoo)

edit: problem solved. Basically the router runs his own dns server, which is broken (after I recently updated the firmware); when I use a proper dns server the problem seems to disappear