GUID Issues

Discussion for Admins of ETPro/BayonET servers.
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Helix

GUID Issues

Post by Helix »

Hey Everyone,

Just though I'd ask a question regarding the assigning of ETPro GUIDs... recently we've noticed, all of a sudden, that a lot of our players are getting [Unknown] assigned as their GUIDs. I've read around on the boards a little bit, and mostly people say that the ID doesn't matter anyways, but this has never been an issue before, and certainly not to the extent that we're noticing now, to the point that people who we previously banned using their Pro IDs are now able to connect to our server which is becoming a bit of an issue.

Anyone else noticing problems with this at all?

Code: Select all

]/cheaters 
etpro cheat database version 2006-07-17 16Z 
3 [(_)] [*edited*] [win32] 
4 [:ACI:Veleriphon] [*edited*] [win32] 
5 [(^_^)nocho] [Unknown] [win32] 
6 [[Stofant] Nulis] [Unknown] [win32] 
7 [AmishSniper] [Unknown] [win32] 
8 [RadioFreeAlbamuth] [*edited*] [linux] 
9 [gangsta justice] [*edited*] [win32] 
10 [Crusader ///] [*edited*] [win32] 
11 [Disaster] [*edited*] [linux] 
12 [:ACI:GoatLord] [*edited*] [win32] 
13 [[DP]Lt_Winters] [*edited*] [win32] 
14 [Dr. Friendly] [*edited*] [win32] 
15 [Yojimbo] [Unknown] [win32] 
16 [*Damocles*] [Unknown] [win32] 
17 [max] [Unknown] [win32] 
21 [.Zzee*sVw] [Unknown] [win32] 
22 [Blue Vampyre] [*edited*] [win32] 
23 [Junglist] [*edited*] [win32] 
Fusen

Post by Fusen »

you don't need to edit out their guids lol it really makes no difference if you post them or not

also

as you've already read that they aren't supported, unreliable and extremely broken plus spoofable, what sort of answer did you expect to get?

next time try IP banning
________
how to grill food
Last edited by Fusen on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-neX-

Post by -neX- »

theres no need to post anyones ID, spoofable or not, to a public forum. helix is just being cautious.

unsupported and unreliable they may be, but the "unknown ID" behaviour is unusual and has never happened in the past ( < 3.2.5 ), at least not with this kind of monotonous regularity.

its quite apparent that an IP ban would be the solution. the clients are sending PB GUID's w/o any problem at all. but from a semi-admin point of view, with no access to the console, the etpro ID can be, at the very least, a useful tool to trace a problem player.
Helix

Post by Helix »

Fusen wrote:you don't need to edit out their guids lol it really makes no difference if you post them or not

also

as you've already read that they aren't supported, unreliable and extremely broken plus spoofable, what sort of answer did you expect to get?

next time try IP banning
As I also said, my post is to find out if anyone else is having issues, in hopes to solve a problem, furthermore, not to be rude, but IP banning really isn't effective for anyone on a dynamic network that have IPs changing every few hours, unless I were to block entire CIDRs or netblocks...which is hardly an effective way of managing problematic players. My point is that something is clearly wrong, and I'm trying to determine the root cause of it.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

if u want more datail u can do a /cheaters #playerid to get info about why its not showing up the guild

the info itzelf is encrypted nd u need to get here to get it decryted by a cod@r wich is a time comsuming buseness

but i might explain wut is wrong
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

-neX- wrote: unsupported and unreliable they may be, but the "unknown ID" behaviour is unusual and has never happened in the past ( < 3.2.5 ), at least not with this kind of monotonous regularity.
Wrong.
send lawyers, guns and money
Helix

Post by Helix »

ReyalP wrote:
-neX- wrote: unsupported and unreliable they may be, but the "unknown ID" behaviour is unusual and has never happened in the past ( < 3.2.5 ), at least not with this kind of monotonous regularity.
Wrong.
No. You're wrong. If it has always been a problem, we would have asked earlier.

Holy cow guys, thanks for the welcoming and friendly discussion :| :evil:
Nail

Post by Nail »

I've been seeing the "unknown" on our server for quite a while, well before 3.2.5 or 3.2.6
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
-neX-

Post by -neX- »

ReyalP wrote: Wrong.
you have seen them before, and often? just trying to clairifiy
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

-neX- wrote: you have seen them before, and often? just trying to clairifiy
Unknowns have always been there. There may or may not be more of them now, but characterizing them as "unusual" and "never happened before" is not correct.

If there are more of them recently, it's not because of anything etpro did in 3.2.6.
Holy cow guys, thanks for the welcoming and friendly discussion
That's what happens when you ask for support on a feature you have been explicitly told is broken and should not be used.
send lawyers, guns and money
Helix

Post by Helix »

ReyalP wrote: That's what happens when you ask for support on a feature you have been explicitly told is broken and should not be used.
haha I'm not asking for support. I was commenting on the fact that without a doubt, this is a recent thing, and was wondering if anyone had any input...
Nellie-

Post by Nellie- »

Helix wrote:haha I'm not asking for support. I was commenting on the fact that without a doubt, this is a recent thing, and was wondering if anyone had any input...
:poke:

*bangs head against brick wall*
Nail

Post by Nail »

Nail wrote:I've been seeing the "unknown" on our server for quite a while, well before 3.2.5 or 3.2.6
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
Fusen

Post by Fusen »

Helix wrote:not to be rude, but IP banning really isn't effective for anyone on a dynamic network that have IPs changing every few hours, unless I were to block entire CIDRs or netblocks...which is hardly an effective way of managing problematic players
It'd fine, I don't take the comment as being rude as it's plainly wrong.

It takes someone around 5-10 seconds to launch guidspoof.exe, and change a digit/letter then click save.

Where as a dynamic ip resetting automatically or even manually being changed by rebooting the modem will take at least 30 seconds

so if you think about it, the ip ban looks like the better option
________
Chrysler Firepower