more playable radar->new script?

Discussion for Admins of ETPro/BayonET servers.
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Luk4ward

more playable radar->new script?

Post by Luk4ward »

hi
is there anyone who wants to make radar more playable?
im taking care of a server with standard maps and radar is the worst map because of her graphic and lags problem and other boring stuff

im suggesting to make script with:
no raining
maybe without the grass
new allies' spawns at cabinets and on the ground floor (by choosing from limbo)
autospawning at cp (both teams)
3 axis spawns (2 near radars+1 default)

maybe u got some other ideas?

regards

@mortis your scripts r g8 :), u made railgun more playable then b4
wolFTeam.pl
McSteve

Re: more playable radar->new script?

Post by McSteve »

Luk4ward wrote:hi
is there anyone who wants to make radar more playable?
im taking care of a server with standard maps and radar is the worst map because of her graphic and lags problem and other boring stuff

im suggesting to make script with:
no raining
maybe without the grass
new allies' spawns at cabinets and on the ground floor (by choosing from limbo)
autospawning at cp (both teams)
3 axis spawns (2 near radars+1 default)

maybe u got some other ideas?

regards

@mortis your scripts r g8 :), u made railgun more playable then b4
No raining and no grass can be done via your public.config with:

map radar
{
command "forcecvar cg_atmosphericeffects 0"
command "forcecvar r_drawfoliage 0"
}

Although on your average server, cg_atmosphericeffects is not restricted and the client can set it to 0 himself.

You have to be very careful with any major changes such as new spawnpoints etc. The standard maps are very finely balanced and changes such as the new spawns you have suggested may completely throw off this balance e.g. if axis could spawn to cp, allies could pretty much say byebye to ever capturing it.

By all means make your plea for someone to do you a new script. I would do one for you but it would take up a few hours of my time and I suspect it wouldn't be long until you binned the script after learning it didnt play well. Best of luck though.
GhosT:McSteve
Ghostworks Gaming Community
Luk4ward

Post by Luk4ward »

thx for calling my server average ;)

i know about these all, and btw i was playing on radar with cp as spawn for axis and wasnt so bad (i think they could respawn after capturing allies...)

i dnt want to make u feel that only i want this script, it will be for all with imho g8 benefits and more fun then b4...

i was rather thinking of making this map more playable and light by some script not by using forcecvars (btw what about unuseful sounds of raining?:>), and if some1 does it players will be greatful4ever :)

regards
wolFTeam.pl
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

forcing fog off also greatly improves players FPS.
send lawyers, guns and money
McSteve

Post by McSteve »

Luk4ward wrote:thx for calling my server average ;)
Heh, soz, when I said 'average' I meant it in the sense 'typical' or 'usual' server settings.

If you have played on a server with a script you like, it would be worth your while asking the server admin for a copy of their script. In my experience, people are usually happy to share if you ask nicely. No point in someone writing a script that has been written before.

Like I said, I would do it but I'm fairly nooby at mapscripting and it would take me hours to do what you ask. Someone like Mortis or one of the pros could probably whip it up fairly quickly but it would still take time out of their own busy lives.

If by the end of next week you still haven't had any success with your search or your plea, post here again and I'll take it on. If only because I need the practice. On that note though, ever thought about learning how to do it yourself? Its a rewarding experience really.
GhosT:McSteve
Ghostworks Gaming Community
mortis

Post by mortis »

Most of your requested changes are best done server-side, by turning off the grass, weather and fog. As far as new spawns are concerned, the first part of the map is equally balanced and intentionally challenging for the Allies. The second part of the map is pretty balanced as it is. Adding spawns as a map feature would be pretty unblancing IMO. I could add a capturable flag to the garage that enables one or two spawns, but it would still make the east parts extremely easy to cap...I can make you a version to mess around on, but I promise you that it would make the map extremely difficult for Axis.

In terms of FPS, we can't do a whole lot from the script except to turn off sounds. As reyalp suggested, use a map specific config that turns off the foliage, weather and fog, and you'll see noticeable FPS improvements for everyone.
mortis

Post by mortis »

Here's a preliminary version, just for fun. The Motor Pool Flag only works for Allies at this point. It would be a lot more balanced if it worked for either team.

This script is beta. It is just for your evaluation purposes. I can't get the dual spawn version to work yet, so I'll keep trying.
Luk4ward

Post by Luk4ward »

ok, thx for your trying from all players playing on standard maps :)

as for fog, foliage, yes it works and doing g8 job :D, since i set this to 0 lagging maps r imho better playing (I set on railgun: no fog and no snow, and on radar: no fog, no foliage).

ill try this new script when i get some time (atm got probs with cheaters)

best regards

Luke
wolFTeam.pl
Luk4ward

Post by Luk4ward »

hello,

i tested it and i couldnt find any new spawn :P. I got some ideas about new spawns:

1) for axis:

2) for allies when they blew the gate:

selectable in limbo

regards
wolFTeam.pl
Igloo

Post by Igloo »

I agree. This possitions looks nice... but the 1st one, after CP is captured by Alllies isn't too close to reach the enemy soldiers? :wink:

Hmm 16 bits as you told me. I had the same error. Simply: visit your profile in etpro -> there must be something wrong. I deleted it, as I'm using autoexec and problem is solved. Don't know why, but it happened when I loaded someone's cfg for a test :roll:

Greetings,
Igloo
Luk4ward

Post by Luk4ward »

Luk4ward wrote: 2) for allies when they blew the gate:
so they got the bunker, what u talking about ?

p.s fixed bug in similar way
wolFTeam.pl