patch 2.60b + ETPro 325/326 - integrity failures for clients

Discussion for Admins of ETPro/BayonET servers.
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

nedd3h

Post by nedd3h »

Deus wrote:
gotenks wrote:i don't think it should... clients need to upgrade
/me underlines that in bold
agree

maybe make the next etpro version spam a note on the screen to "please update client to v2.60b" or something
is this possible to do?
McNite

Post by McNite »

Well when you do something for a community you better do it for the average ppl... they are WAY less smart than those who build the mods. Ignoring that fact isn't helping the community.
Oh and also I do believe that ppl should be able to choose which grade of security they want (no matter what their choice is).
Just my last 5 ct on this topic.
Deus

Post by Deus »

McNite wrote:Well when you do something for a community you better do it for the average ppl...
ETPro is a mod for competition players. Competition players pay attention on security risks, and are smart enough to know how to update and even switch versions for playing on servers not running 3.2.6/2.60b.

I suggest you stick to 3.2.5 until ET is dead, which will be soon because of people like you. ;)
McNite

Post by McNite »

Competition players pay attention ... and are smart enough
LMAO

Based on my discussions with server admins when thinking about how to update Warbell for comp gaming I can only laugh at this. They clearly stated that using ETPro mapscripts was too difficult for the community (and you won't tell me that s difficult right?).
Bet that a lot of them only upgraded because they were forced to it by the new ETPro?

Hm you blame me for suggesting a solution of how to make players have less hassle when choosing servers to play on? Funny enough.
Deus

Post by Deus »

You are, have always been and will always be free to choose what version you use.

Plz go to a car company and tell them to make cars accept all kinds of fuel at the same time, so you don't have to think when you fill up your tank if you use the right fuel.
Makes it easier for all the cardriving community.

Maybe you want ET.ex to not be checked because you want to use hacked versions of it.

I'm done here.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

McNite wrote:Well when you do something for a community you better do it for the average ppl... they are WAY less smart than those who build the mods. Ignoring that fact isn't helping the community.
Oh and also I do believe that ppl should be able to choose which grade of security they want (no matter what their choice is).
The people who are stuck on 2.60 because they can't figure out how to upgrade aren't choosing anything. There are just stuck because they lack basic computer skills. The same as all the people who get their boxes owned because they click on stupid popups.

For those who are actually doing it by choice, I see no reason I should expend my effort to help them do something stupid.

If it were trivial to support both versions, it would be a reasonable thing to do, but it isn't. If we had realized how much trouble the community would have unzipping a file, maybe we would have done things differently from the start. As it stands, I would rather find ways to make it easy for people to upgrade than to help them stay on the old version. At the very least, I expect the next version to have a more helpful error message.
send lawyers, guns and money
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

reyalp: Does cl_autoupdate 1 actually do anything besides making startup longer?
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

there is a movement to try to get activision to support an executeable version of the 2.60b installer... which would mean only the ignorant people who want security bugs to play...
btw there are some people who play on 2.55 leagues, maybe bani should try figuring a way to let them play on the newest etpro?
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
deej

Post by deej »

Seems most comp players have switched to 2.60b since otherwise they can't compete. For a comp mod I guess that's mission accomplished.

But I agree a exe type installer would have made it better for most computer laymen to update since they'd think "wow a full blown patch with installer, must be important, let's install". So the basic problem is: comp players can play on pubs but pubbers can't play on comp servers. Is that necessarily a bad thing ;-)?

And the mapscript thing, well, seeing how league admins have decided to finally adopt the mapscripthash feature, maybe server admins will have to learn how to upload a .script file into the etpromapscripts directory. Otherwise they're not worthy of the term "admin".

Let's not fuck up a good system for the benefit of stupid people. Stick with 2.60b!
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

deej wrote:So the basic problem is: comp players can play on pubs but pubbers can't play on comp servers. Is that necessarily a bad thing ;-)?
If you like to pub etpro, it is. The number of etpro pubs has declined dramatically since the switch.

lagger the allowupdate stuff would require cooperation from
ATVI at the very least.
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

If you turn off IAC (And maybe PB) you can run 3.2.5 with 2.60b just fine and dandy.
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

WeblionX wrote:If you turn off IAC (And maybe PB) you can run 3.2.5 with 2.60b just fine and dandy.
No, you cannot.

edit:
You can run it, but don't be surpised when Bad Things happen.
Last edited by ReyalP on Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

You can if there's one player on it!
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
McNite

Post by McNite »

The number of etpro pubs has declined dramatically since the switch.
Yepp. And I don't think its a miracle too.

Well short report from this evenings games: about 20 public players joined, that s more than we had in 3 weeks of ETPro 3.2.6.
So just to summarize: our main mistake was to update to 3.2.6, we ll stick with 3.2.5 from now on (unless there ll be a new release that allows 2.60 in as well).
Don't get me wrong: I do like ETPro a lot better n Jaymod or else because the games are more challenging (hiboxes...), but well focusing the 3.2.6 on 2.60b only was a mistake imo.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

McNite wrote:we ll stick with 3.2.5 from now on (unless there ll be a new release that allows 2.60 in as well).
Thanks for being part of the problem.

Between that and calling us stupid and telling us how to develop the mod, you are a great asset to the etpro community.