patch 2.60b + ETPro 325/326 - integrity failures for clients

Discussion for Admins of ETPro/BayonET servers.
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

McNite

patch 2.60b + ETPro 325/326 - integrity failures for clients

Post by McNite »

Hi guys,

We ve been experiencing lots of public players connecting to our server and disconnecting right away lately.

Then we figured taht might be due to our server having the 2.60b, but the massive loads of disconnecting only came apparent when we upgraded the server to ETPro 3.2.6 which only works with the 2.60b patch for clients.

So we downgraded our server back to 2.60b, ETPro 3.2.5 (and ETAdmin mod 029) with a completely fresh reinstall of everything.
A server that is patched to 2.60b and uses ETPro 3.2.5 is playable for clients without the 2.60b patch (just tested that).

But why do I now get an "integrity failure" and instant disconnect when I try to connect to the server with a client that s patched to 2.60b?
Shouldn't clients with both patches be able to play on it?

It sure isnt the pb which got updated in october, cuz I updated both the server and my clients with the latest files there.
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

Nope, 2.60 clients can connect to <= 3.2.5 and 2.60b clients to >= 3.2.6.
McNite

Post by McNite »

See that doesnt make any sense if u ask me, because the 2.60b patch was tehre long time before the 3.2.6 was released. So you d expect a patched client to be able to connect to a patched server no matter what the ETPro is right?
The only way you could prevent patched clients to connect to a 3.2.5 server would be (a huge bug btw) if the ETPro checks the version of the ET.exe and ETED.exe the client is using.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Sigh.

The server executable version doesn't matter (for 2.60 / 2.60b, older versions use different protocols). If you think does, you are wrong. That said, you should only use 2.60b on the server, or ettv b13. There is no good reason to use anything else.

The client executable must match the etpro version you want to use. For 3.2.6, the client's ET.exe must be 2.60b. For 3.2.5, the clients et.exe must be 2.60. Each etpro works with one and ONLY ONE et.exe version.

etded.exe is the dedicated server .exe, so doesn't matter on the client.

Please don't leave your server on 3.2.5. If all the servers update, the users will figure it out eventually. Or switch to etpub/jaymod/noquarter :lol:

You can put a message in your motd informing them that they need 2.60b, as the motd will be displayed before they get the error.
send lawyers, guns and money
McNite

Post by McNite »

Each etpro works with one and ONLY ONE et.exe version.
What was the reason to make the 3.2.5 only work with the 2.60 patch version? Doesn't sound like a bright idea to me tbh. Or did you try to block a certain kind of cheat this way?

And since we are a pub server that recruits its pub joiners from random players looking for a game, we did get too many disconnects lately. And since i guess ETPro is the only mod that needs players to get the 2.60b, all the pubbers regularly playing other servers won't patch since there is no real reason for them.
Actually I m not sure it was good for the ET community that they get split up like this.

This might as well be a reason for us to switch from ETPro to Jaymod or something else.
Deus

Post by Deus »

McNite wrote:This might as well be a reason for us to switch from ETPro to Jaymod or something else.
HF & GL
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

McNite wrote: What was the reason to make the 3.2.5 only work with the 2.60 patch version? Doesn't sound like a bright idea to me tbh.
Yes, clearly we are stupid because we didn't make 3.2.5 compatible with a version of ET that didn't exist when we released it.

Regular pubbers should patch. There is absolutely no reason to stay on the old version. Unfortunately, 90% of this community seems to be incapable of unzipping an exe in the correct place.
McNite

Post by McNite »

Well why does the ETPro file check the ET.exe at all? That s the point of my question. I mean when you map, you map for vanilla ET and not for a mod because you want the map to be for everybody. But when you do a mod, you aim at a certain group of the community that has this and that patch?

Oh and well... you know most pubbers don't even know there is something like winzip. Its another story but releasing the 2.60b patch without an installation tool wasn't too bright by SD imo.
Deus

Post by Deus »

/me lights a candle.
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

McNite wrote:you know most pubbers don't even know there is something like winzip.
Windows XP has built in handling of .zip files last time i checked.

It's more of a failure that there's no official W:ET 2.60b installer (not just patch), and that the ingame server browser is very close to useless. the ETPro team can't really be blamed for that though...
mortis

Post by mortis »

It is logical to check out et.exe if you think about it (*cough* anticheat *cough*).

I'm still campaigning hard for a final etpro release that checks both versions. :D
McNite

Post by McNite »

that checks both versions
That should ve been done in 3.2.6 already... but lets hope for the next version (and that it comes soon).
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

i don't think it should... clients need to upgrade
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

McNite wrote:Its another story but releasing the 2.60b patch without an installation tool wasn't too bright by SD imo.
2.60b had nothing to do with SD.

+1 cookie for mortis.

Making etpro support both versions is a lot of work just so lazy / uneducated / incompetent people can leave themselves open to an exploit.
Deus

Post by Deus »

gotenks wrote:i don't think it should... clients need to upgrade
/me underlines that in bold