SV_PacketEvent using to lag the server? pls help

Discussion for Admins of ETPro/BayonET servers.
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Luk4ward

SV_PacketEvent using to lag the server? pls help

Post by Luk4ward »

Hello,

im running etpro 3.2.6, 2.60b patch and etadmin mod 0.29 without tcp interface....Today i noticed lags as hell, some guy was warning others that he will lag the server, but i thought that someone is playing with punkbuster adding new detections, so i decided to turn off him. Ok, after restart the same guy was typing with same warns about lagging the server....I decided to talk with the admin of gameserver host, but he didnt notice any errors...So i copied the log and found only this:

SV_PacketEvent: fixing up a translated port
say: Asassello: lag
Asassello^7: lag

SV_PacketEvent: fixing up a translated port

pls help :(, now the server is turned off :x
wolFTeam.pl
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

That message in itself should be harmless. I'd suggest monitoring traffic when he lags the server.
send lawyers, guns and money
Nail

Post by Nail »

sub net ban
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
Luk4ward

Post by Luk4ward »

ReyalP wrote:That message in itself should be harmless. I'd suggest monitoring traffic when he lags the server.
hmm, but i was searching tru the logs and couldnt find any interesting info...just this about sv_packetevent...Spot also WARNING: Com_PushEvent overflow but it was at the start of the map so i guess it doesnt matter...

@ sub net ban

i know, but when the guy disconnected from the server somehow pings were increasing, even without the punkbuster...

Is he was abusing some expoilts/bugs? Where i can get more info about the traffic? Gameserver host doesnt log such info because of the huge amount of data...Its all weird :roll:

anyway thx for replies,
regards
wolFTeam.pl
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Your server provider will need to diagnose that. I'd suggest they start by sniffing network traffic while the attack is in progress. If they are unwilling to do so, and your server is rendered unusable, I'd suggest switching providers. It's their job to provide a usable level of service.

We don't have enough information to reach any conclusion on what the attacker is doing.

Carrying out DOS attacks is a crime in many parts of the world. If they are doing it to a paid commercial service, there are also real damages involved. At the very least, this should be sufficient to have their ISP terminate their account.
send lawyers, guns and money