Bani in server name?

Discussion for Admins of ETPro/BayonET servers.
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

EvilJohn

Bani in server name?

Post by EvilJohn »

Greetings

I wanted to put online a 2.60b etpro fun server.
I thought "[AV]bani Who dat?' would be a cool name. I would have a few fun banners like (just one example) "Bani once had a mod where soldiers could fly. LOL, OMG" I mean no disrespect , just having fun. :twisted: Just wanted to make sure you (Bani), have no problems with that. You silence of course means its OK.
I am trying to move a large gaming family away from etpub. Many members will want their shubbot commands. Besides etadmin_mod. Can someone recommend an add on mod, or plug in that is heavy with shubbot commands for etpro. Thank you for all your help in this matter.

Edit: If it matters. Little Info:
Quality server, resources and bandwidth
Many Evil clans out there. We started in 1.33 RTCW
Friendly members, and a good groups of men and women
www.evilrtcw2.com Fairly new site, still in the works.
This will not be another empty etpro server.
Last edited by EvilJohn on Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First is the innovator, then comes the imitators. Lastly the idiots.
Nail

Post by Nail »

lua scripting, afaik, is the only other way to mod etpro, info here:
http://wolfwiki.anime.net/index.php/Lua_Mod_API
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
Clutch152

Post by Clutch152 »

let us have the ip when you get it up and running :D
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

To be perfectly honest, you should probably stick with ETPub. I can't believe I'm saying this, since I've hated nearly every ETPub server I've tried (due to settings I didn't enjoy), but it really is the better pub mod at this point. It's got more pub-oriented features, such as those you mentioned, as well as RealHead from ETPro -- this is what pushed ETPub over the line from being unacceptable for an ETPro player, to something which deserved an honest re-evaluation. You can emulate an ETPro server pretty closely, with the right settings. I did some tests a while back, and the only real "problem" I had was that ETPub seems to have "fixed" the quick knife gib, and there's no way to get it back (that I'm aware of). Competitive players would find this annoying.

I'm not up to speed on ETPub, so I don't know if it's integrated all the WhaleClient features yet; if not, I'd also suggest you add that and make it mandatory, as it adds several other ETPro-inspired features. The HUD stuff is able to copy ETPro almost exactly, and was better than ETPub-Client last time I checked (disregarding ETPub-Client's drag-and-drop HUD, of course). Players can even copy their ETPro config files over to /etpub, and they will work exactly the same. Also, IIRC, WhaleClient allows the server to snap clients' cvars into enforced ranges, ETPro-style.

The main reason for ETPro pubs is to give competitive players something to do when they're not scrimming, because many of them simply won't play on another mod. If you want to move your clan to ETPro in preparation for entering competition, then yes, install ETPro. No matter how closely you mimic ETPro with ETPub, it will "feel" different, and you will want to get used to the "real thing." If you just want some particular feature of ETPro, however, you can pretty much "fake it" with ETPub, while keeping all its other pub-friendly aspects. There are some ETPro things missing of course, but I'll bet green money that they won't be missing for long. ETPub seems to move a lot faster, possibly due to being open source. (Has ETPub integrated LUA yet? If not, I'm sure they will.)

Note that I'm not trying to dissuade you from ETPro; it's my preferred mod by a long shot, and is the clear choice for competition. But if I were to start up a pub tomorrow, it'd be ETPub, setup to closely mimic an ETPro server as I outlined above, while adding just enough pub-friendly bling-bling to attract players. I ran what I'd humbly consider the world's most perfect ETPro stopwatch server, and it never saw more than perhaps 3v3 or 4v4 action, and that only very rarely.

Good luck whatever you decide!
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
EvilJohn

Post by EvilJohn »

Greetings
Thanks Nail. knew about lua. I thought, I had seen something once about a add on mod by gotenks, or somebody. But with,etadmin_mod, semi_admin, pb power points, lua. There is plenty out there.
I can't believe I am talking about etpub here. But we have a etpub 8.0 server. Over a year ago, I thought I would try and give back to the RTCW and ET community. That has been so good to me. So I put one of our game servers in 2.55 Called it beginners, with the idea of teaching new players the game. Teaching them how to have more than one install. Introducing etpro to them. Then when they got the big head and thought they were skilled. I would suggest some 2.60 etpro servers to play on. But it runs etpub.
We have a etpro stopwatch server, that we also use for TWL ladder matches. I agree ouroboro, etpro is the way to go. Just a much smoother mod. Game play to me is better. So yes the whole idea is
"The main reason for ETPro pubs is to give competitive players something to do when they're not scrimming, because many of them simply won't play on another mod." Thanks for your help ouroboro.

Silence is golden!
EvilJohn

Post by EvilJohn »

I found a very nice mod for pub etpro servers. Very good for lua nubs like myself. :)

You can find all needed info here:
http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/view ... b69ee5c7a9

12 of us tested last night. Works great! Woot!
Nail

Post by Nail »

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome