mapscripting bug & questions

Discussion for any ET/ETPro/BayonET bugs or cheats you find...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Igloo

mapscripting bug & questions

Post by Igloo »

Afternoon guys,

On the friend's request, I made some new spawns for my server. And here's what I have done:

I changed the spawns (Axis garrison) by removing team_WOLF_objective:

Code: Select all

axis_garrison_wobj
{
	spawn
	{
		remove
	}
}

I wanted to make something new, so I just made team_WOLF_objective again, using the same limbo camera:

create
		{
			classname "team_WOLF_objective"
			target "igloo_spawn_down"
			scriptname "axis_spawn2_WOLF"
			targetname "axis_garrison_wobj"
			origin "7414 4680 -457"
			spawnflags 1	 // 1 = Axis
			description "Axis Lower Garrison"
		}
Later I made the spawns, linked to the team_WOLF_objective (as I wanted to make sure players are using this new, mine, not the old -> and here's the question... I made 10 spawns for 10 players per team, in fact where are more than 10 people they should be spawned in other possible yes? I made an upper position too, so if the limit is reached players will be spawned there or on the places, which has just no other keys [standard, placed spawns -> team_CTF_bluespawn]? If standard, then I need to remove these places by the origin, so the players won't spawn in unwanted areas :wink:

My Axis Lower Spawns as they are now primary spawn, after Old City not available (captured by Allies etc.) look like this:

create
		{
			classname "team_CTF_redspawn"
			targetname "igloo_spawn_down"
			scriptName "axis_spawn2_1"
			origin "7077 4777 -457"
			spawnflags 3 // (3)
			angle "360"
		}
scriptName, origin values are always different of course.

As lower spawns are default (instead of Axis Garrison), they are also changed in script routines. You know what I mean.. name changed correctly in setautospawn, example below:

setautospawn "Axis Lower Garrison"		0
I thinks it's all I added to make it working. Sure it's, but the results are quite interesting! How they look like? Just read below:

-> Colleagues are using something like:

/setspawnpt 1, 3, 5
After combining with this value they got spawned near the Allies start Pump machine! Yeah, but how? I didn't notice any spawns there in Radiant (some bluespawns near, not on this, but Axis spawns lmao?).

How does the mapper know what is the number of made spawn? It would be nice, if there are any tutorials about spawning. I didn't see any section in mapscript that might be responsible for it?! I bet it's just what spawn is first made than others, it has the priority (simply order of made spawns). Hope that you understand my text, I wrote it really fast as I'm quite busy today.

Comments/questions and others are welcome. I am not new to spawns, because I made a lot other things like this with no problems. But this makes me sick. After this I have another question: If I decompile the map with Q3map2Toolz is it a chance that it lost some spawns? :D Then it would be an aswer for my bug.

Greetings,
Igloo
Last edited by Igloo on Thu May 03, 2007 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mortis

Post by mortis »

Post your entire mapscript, so that I can look at all the routines.
Igloo

Post by Igloo »

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KUMJS5LP

Sorry if you are unable to download.. then give me a mail address. I don't like free shit uploads anyway :D

I can't also understand why the spawns are not linked to the team_WOLF_objective? So it's not easy to remove them I think.. spawn by spawn, no way to do on such maps :)

Greetings,
Igloo
Father

Post by Father »

Igloo wrote:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KUMJS5LP

Sorry if you are unable to download.. then give me a mail address. I don't like free shit uploads anyway :D

I can't also understand why the spawns are not linked to the team_WOLF_objective? So it's not easy to remove them I think.. spawn by spawn, no way to do on such maps :)

Greetings,
Igloo
Change extension of your mapscript to .jpg and place it on http://imageshack.us.
If you don't do it, someone else will.
Igloo

Post by Igloo »

http://dtp.livenet.pl/oasis.script

Don't read the header of this.. cuz it's not exactly as I did, because of changes.. :wink:
mortis

Post by mortis »

Hmm. Well the script has a few issues, but it won't be easy to explain. It has a lot of runtime entities too. Do you have a 'clean' version of the script without your changes, but with all the other mappers' script changes in place?

Explain to me exactly how and where you want your spawns to be, and when you want them to be available. I can set up a sample script for one of your desired spawn points, and then you can mimic my script if you wish to add more.

In your current script I noticed that you don't have a spawn routine for your spawns. I'd have to play the script to figure out what is going on exactly, but I see that you have removed the axis wobj...maybe it would be better to alertentity it so it becomes inactive, but you also have to do that to the stock spawnpoints, otherwise they will still be vailable to nearby active wobj entities.
Igloo

Post by Igloo »

http://dtp.livenet.pl/oasis2.script

They are active all the time - I mean the Allied Camp 2 is available from start as typical Allied Camp. So it's a simple issue, team_Wolf... & camera & activated spawns. Did I missed something here? I don't think so. Checked this on goldrush and sure there aren't needed any extra additions in script. Not counting the settings of which spawn is someone's primary.

But the Garrison spawns. I wanted to do something like that: removing standard blue spawns, team_WOLF_objective (Would I respawn the standard with new name? Wasn't sure how exactly), but limbo camera is not changed. I reached my target, but I left blue spawns, these standard alive - I could only try deleting them by origin, as they don't have any targetname inside... they aren't targetname of team_WOLF_objective as they used to be :? Otherwise, deleting by origin resulted in massive errors like "no entities to delete". I may be wrong with this. Or maybe by the "team_CTF_bluespawn" would work? (no clue if the game won't crash as far).

Above paragraph was about Axis Lower Garrison as I wanted to call it. The next spawn was simply Axis Upper Garrison -> no routines to be done, it's all time active. I did so, and it was correct I bet.

Positions of spawns? They are in origin of them I added, with invulnernable and active spawnflags set (something like that :P ). The only problem I seem is just the Axis Lower Garrison - I think I would be able to fix it, but I don't have sufficient knowledge "if something is possible/how". You wrote so many scripts, so you're experienced.

Small info: I changed setautospawn from Axis Garrison to Axis Lower Garrison as well -> it was needed because of my changes ^^

The last question.. Allied Camp 2 spawn if it's sellected, after taking the Old City players won't be moved there. They need to change it in Limbo. I know it's just the missing script, but I am not able to add 2 "setautospawn" as Allies primary spawns, Am I? Tell me if you know any alternative for it, as I have no clue.

Thanks for interest of my problem. Hope that you can understand something from my fast-serverd English. Going to sleep... :>

Greetings,
Igloo
mortis

Post by mortis »

The last question.. Allied Camp 2 spawn if it's sellected, after taking the Old City players won't be moved there. They need to change it in Limbo. I know it's just the missing script, but I am not able to add 2 "setautospawn" as Allies primary spawns, Am I? Tell me if you know any alternative for it, as I have no clue.
This always happens. if you manually select a spawn point in the limbo menu, the set autospawn function is ignored, until a client enters "set spawnpt 0". This will re-enable the autospawn function. There is no alternative that I am aware of.
But the Garrison spawns. I wanted to do something like that: removing standard blue spawns, team_WOLF_objective (Would I respawn the standard with new name? Wasn't sure how exactly), but limbo camera is not changed. I reached my target, but I left blue spawns, these standard alive - I could only try deleting them by origin, as they don't have any targetname inside... they aren't targetname of team_WOLF_objective as they used to be Otherwise, deleting by origin resulted in massive errors like "no entities to delete". I may be wrong with this. Or maybe by the "team_CTF_bluespawn" would work? (no clue if the game won't crash as far).
If you delete by their key, you will delete ALL bluespawns and would have to create 100% of the ones. I haven't tried this so I cannot say whether it will work or not, but I think you have a decent chance of pulling it off. Since the spawns don't have a script name, this is the only way to remove them. I haven't had much luck deleting by origin, IIRC, so I've had to use targetnames or scriptnames. If they are active, any extra players beyond the limit of a particlar TWO will be shunted over to the next closest available TWO and its associated spawnpoints. This may be causing some of the unpredicatable spawn behavior you have. this should only happen on a busy server where all available spaw points have been used up.

Et_beach is my only script where I use some startactive spawnpoints that are not run by a script routine. Your script has more spawnpoints added to it than any other that I have ever seen. If they are buggy, I'd try reducing the number and variety to see if that helps.