Remove it completely with a config measure
13%
Keep it as it is
65%

Total votes: 23

deej

Is the MG overpowered?

Post by deej »

Last night in the Clanbase Eurocup, 2 of the world's best teams - The Last Resort & dignitas - squared off and delivered a stunning match (1477 viewers, not bad ;-)).

On the map Bremen, the MG was used so successfully that it created a new discussion in the community: is the MG overpowered or not? What we saw was that TLR placed the MG on a good tactical spot and was shielded very well by his teammates, reviving him and supplying him with ammo.

The discussion started by Mztik was to immedeatily remove it from the CB config. Some agreed, others disagree and said rifle nades can take it out quickly and some others hinted that maybe the MG didn't have damage fall off which was the primary reason it was used so effectively as a long distance weapon.

What do you think? Is the MG overpowered? Does it need adjustments to become a more realistic weapon? Or should the config makers just bluntly remove it and keep turning ET into an SMG only game?
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
Luk4ward

Post by Luk4ward »

If u want to make mg more realistic then u should do it with other weapons etc., thats my opinion
wolFTeam.pl
Spoofeh

Post by Spoofeh »

I've been waiting for this discussion since they dignitas lost to Cadre. It's clear that the mg is overpowered on Bremen, but maybe it could be fixed by another version of the map rather than removing the mg. (And if the mg is removed it should only be removed on Bremen, just like mines are only disabled on specific maps (Battery)).
mortis

Post by mortis »

per map configs, for the win
Nogen

Post by Nogen »

Hahaha...Quick nerf all the panzers and mortars because they are too powerful!

Oh noes! Now we can't take out the mgs they are too powerful! Nerf them as well!

You reap what you sow.
Xeon_vl

Post by Xeon_vl »

pf can be taken down, the mg was impossible to gib. But i have to agree, its not the mg that bugs the game, it's the entire map bremen. I won't give any feedback now on how heavily i dislike the map, but a suggestion for bremen:

Put in more trash. Afaik bremen was a complete ruin after the allied bombers passed. If i look at the map i see only one destroyed house (in the middle), and a hole in a house at the side entrance. How about making more houses destroyed and put lots of rubbish on the streets, this could all be places to hide for the mg fire. Now its just a cs map. Hide somewhere, and strike headshots.
nedd3h

Re: Is the MG overpowered?

Post by nedd3h »

Bremen is in beta 1 stage. Provide feedback to the map maker so future releases are potentially improved... i certainly wouldn't condem a beta 1 release map.

deej wrote:others hinted that maybe the MG didn't have damage fall off
so does the mg have falloff damage if server has set this on?
if no then can etpro sort this out?
ogrec

Post by ogrec »

Its nice to see that after 3 years people are still trying to make game more balanced, however, there is even bigger problem then mg, its called rifle, and everyone seems to be so used to that they dont even register how fucked up class it is.
Totaly imbalanced class, player who playes rifle is worth 2 players. The class is a normal movement speed panzerfaust that can fire twice as fast, behind walls, plant dyna and mines and defuse them. not to mention that unlike panzer, this calss has another weapon3 that deals huge damage and knockback.

There is absolutly no class that can compare with rifle. You can replace any class in the team with another class but you cant replace rifle. And you whine about mg...
deej

Post by deej »

go start a thread on rifle then, this is about mg
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
arni

Post by arni »

every game i play is imba'ly overpowered no matter what class i play

so nerf every class i play?
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
ReyalP

Re: Is the MG overpowered?

Post by ReyalP »

nedd3h wrote: so does the mg have falloff damage if server has set this on?
if no then can etpro sort this out?
MG doesn't have falloff by design. Same for rifles (except the unscoped FG, which is treated like an SMG if I remember right)

The rnade is the usual counter for a well placed MG, but not having the specific match, maybe that doesn't apply in this situation.
send lawyers, guns and money
Dersaidin

Post by Dersaidin »

I'm listening to feedback, and I'll take it into account for b2.

I'm assuming that its an MG somewhere on the CP defence that people are considereing overpowered? If someone could point me to some demos/ettv demos that'd be helpfull.
antman

Post by antman »

Dersaidin wrote:I'm assuming that its an MG somewhere on the CP defence that people are considereing overpowered? If someone could point me to some demos/ettv demos that'd be helpfull.
In the match that deej is referring to the MG was used mainly from the ledge of the clock tower as seen in this screenshot and from the basement doorway as seen in the second screenshot.

The match in question was TLR vs Dignitas and it's still running as replays on many of the European ETTV servers.
Prometheus swept down from the heavens bringing the gift of fire.
Wrong move.

antman's etpro stuff
Spoofeh

Post by Spoofeh »

I think the problem is that there are multiple MG positions that covers all the attack routes (possibly not all the windows).

This is approximately the position Cadre used against dignitas (re-enacted by me, don't have the demo :P ):

Image Image