Thought.

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

vendetta50

Thought.

Post by vendetta50 »

Maybe for the new etpro.. But heres a thought.

Say there are many spectators creating a full server. When people trying to connect like the server sends an echo saying someone trying to connect to make people realize server is full.

Dunno just wondering if possible.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

better use could be monitor inactive players (if you really want to get creative, monitor the ones running in big loops as well, eg afk scripts), if someone tries to connect while the server is full and a player has been innactive for x mins, kick them from the server
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
vendetta50

Post by vendetta50 »

if someone tries to connect while the server is full and a player has been innactive for x mins, kick them from the server

Yah that is good too :wink:
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

I've long wanted an inactivity system that would switch inactive to spec if the server isn't full, and only kick them when it filled up.

Mods can't really do the original suggestion, since the engine handles the server full stuff.
send lawyers, guns and money
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

lua could couldn't it? (haven't looked at the LUA system in a while) but I thought you recieved information on someone attempting to connect... (while they're waiting response)
My Website
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

gotenks wrote:lua could couldn't it? (haven't looked at the LUA system in a while) but I thought you recieved information on someone attempting to connect... (while they're waiting response)
lua only sees them after the server has decided to let them in.
send lawyers, guns and money
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

are you sure? because i thought that was one of the mentionings when bani first announced it's release... you could capture the info on et_ClientConnect, which happens before et_ClientBegin, so if i'm not mistaken, you could do the check on et_clientconnect
My Website
zinx

Post by zinx »

He is sure. Q3 tech is incapable of communicating non-connected clients to the game code, and must allocate a slot for connected clients.
Zinx Verituse http://zinx.xmms.org/
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

aw damn... oh well...
My Website
vendetta50

Post by vendetta50 »

zinx wrote:He is sure. Q3 tech is incapable of communicating non-connected clients to the game code, and must allocate a slot for connected clients.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
McSteve

Re: Thought.

Post by McSteve »

vendetta50 wrote:Maybe for the new etpro.. But heres a thought.

Say there are many spectators creating a full server. When people trying to connect like the server sends an echo saying someone trying to connect to make people realize server is full.

Do you really need to worry about sending a message only when clients are trying to connect? Its a simple task to trigger a message that gets displayed when the server is full and display it to whoever you want to know. I'm not entirely clear on the purpose of the idea; is it so that admins can prune the specs?
GhosT:McSteve
Ghostworks Gaming Community
vendetta50

Re: Thought.

Post by vendetta50 »

McSteve wrote:
vendetta50 wrote:Maybe for the new etpro.. But heres a thought.

Do you really need to worry about sending a message only when clients are trying to connect? Its a simple task to trigger a message that gets displayed when the server is full and display it to whoever you want to know. I'm not entirely clear on the purpose of the idea; is it so that admins can prune the specs?

Yah like sometimes there are spectators wasting a slot for people who are on awaiting connection for minutes. This cuts down the waiting time to get in. :roll:
Igloo

Post by Igloo »

Imo spectator inactivity mode is enough, sometimes spectators come there from playing for different reasons and after some time they can be dropped so... :wink:

Greetings,
Igloo
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

except that ref's get kicked for spec inactivity when they're speccing a potential cheater
My Website
vendetta50

Post by vendetta50 »

gotenks wrote:except that ref's get kicked for spec inactivity when they're speccing a potential cheater

That has happend to me before! lol :lol: