Thought.

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

gotenks

Post by gotenks »

happened to me aswell, and a few other of my ref's, hence i took it off, i wish ref's and semiadmins were immune from inactivity kicks
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Luk4ward

Post by Luk4ward »

gotenks wrote:except that ref's get kicked for spec inactivity when they're speccing a potential cheater
if u follow a player u cant be kicked for inactivity
wolFTeam.pl
Deus

Post by Deus »

Luk4ward wrote:
gotenks wrote:except that ref's get kicked for spec inactivity when they're speccing a potential cheater
if u follow a player u cant be kicked for inactivity
OFC you can
Cause you do nothing except watching the screen
McSteve

Post by McSteve »

A lua script could get you most of what you want I reckon. Ok so it wont be able to tell when clients are trying to connect and instead would do its kicking on a different cue, but I dont think that's too big a deal.

You could set up a new server setting, g_spectimefull or something, that sets a time limit on how long players can sit in spec if the server is full (and make refs immune ofc). If you really wanted to push the boat out, Clutch made clever use of the g_inactivity cvar for his anti-spawnkill mod. You could do a similar thing and allow 'active' specs immunity too (those that are clicking through different players or moving about in freeview).

Actually, could using g_inactivity in this way allow for Reyalp's "move to spec, kick if full" idea? I realise that g_inactivity will always be trying to perform its own function but if the time limit was high enough it shouldnt matter. I remember Clutch saying something about unexpected behaviour when setting g_inactivity to a high value, but I dont think he ever stated the max value he got to work.
GhosT:McSteve
Ghostworks Gaming Community
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

A better way to do it would be to kick inactive specs when the server becomes full, so you always have 1 slot available. You can detect this by tracking connects.

You'll have to decide how to handle private slots, but otherwise it should be pretty straightforward. ISTR you can poke the fields used to track inactivity from lua, so you could also give ref/sa specs inactivity protection if you wanted. Or implement your own inactivity system and leave the default one off.
send lawyers, guns and money
Nail

Post by Nail »

how about a banner "Specs, please limit your time when server is full"
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome