et_Print can't get punkbuster entries from etconsole.log?

Discussions about ET modding (sdk code, player/weapon modeling)

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Luk4ward

Post by Luk4ward »

McSteve wrote:The guidage generated by PB is broken, and tends to be reported only in a minority of cases anyway. Even in your example you can see:

Code: Select all

--text = "^3PunkBuster Server: Player GUID Computed 88855244(-)
is not reporting the age. It should have "(VALID: <days>)" in the brackets at the end. Without this, nothing can obtain it (Lua or adminmod).
I would like to not to get irritated again so pls read whole topic and then think about what u posted, ok?
McSteve wrote:The guidage generated by PB is broken,
is NOT broken, but on some servers isnt generated at all (have reported one until now)

EoT
wolFTeam.pl
McSteve

Post by McSteve »

Luk4ward wrote: I would like to not to get irritated again so pls read whole topic and then think about what u posted, ok?
Gotenks and ReyalP (and idd many other Bani frequenters) have impressive amounts of patience: I do not. Please show some respect to those taking time to try to help you.

Peace.
GhosT:McSteve
Ghostworks Gaming Community
Luk4ward

Post by Luk4ward »

McSteve wrote:
Luk4ward wrote: I would like to not to get irritated again so pls read whole topic and then think about what u posted, ok?
Gotenks and ReyalP (and idd many other Bani frequenters) have impressive amounts of patience: I do not. Please show some respect to those taking time to try to help you.

Peace.
believe me or not i have a respect for all ppl replying on mine threads, but i dnt have the patient (not the respect ffs!) for those who has been replying without reading previous posts which means they are too ignorant and lazy to spot the effort of another person. Whats more they are too proud to admit that what they posted were wrong or whats worse claiming that they are right. Such ppl are not helping, but making things complicated,

peace
wolFTeam.pl
McSteve

Post by McSteve »

Ahh God Bless you Luk4ward, its nice to see that there still exists some passion in the ET world. Still not too impressed with your tone though, I seem to remember many an hour I spent helping you when you first set up your server and were picking my brain for weeks about everything from basic server and PB configs, to admin_mod and Lua scripting: how times have changed.

I'll quite happily concede that there may be some useful functionality remaining in the PB minguidage feature, but it most certainly does not work in the way Evenbalance originally intended. You may have noticed that when you receive an etkey, it contains the date of generation (I've stuck in some underscores either side):

PunkBuster Client&#58; Current CdKey=0000001002_20080121_0017111979 -> GUID=568ed8853b2bf1684760a997a25d9c30
We obviously dont have access to each client's etkey, and instead we have to wait and see if PB spits out the age from the pbguid. I believe the cvar sv_minguidage existed from the start, but it wasn't until later in 2003 that Evenbalance did some testing prior to implementation. From my reading-up, the age-reporting never worked properly and too many clients were being kicked despite having guids greater than the required age. To the best of my knowledge, PB-kicking for violations of sv_minguidage was never enabled (I dont know this for sure, it may well have been before my time as a server admin). Certainly when I checked again on my server just now it remains to be the case: pb_sv_minguidage is reported as disabled and sv_minguidage is settable but has no effect.

However, you've seen yourself that PB does still try to figure out the guidage with varying amounts of success. I only ever rarely saw it reported in the "Player GUID Computed" line, but it does sometimes appear if you are running cvar scanning and also in "Lost Connection" lines.

Player GUID Computed 568ed8853b2bf1684760a997a25d9c30&#40;-&#41; &#40;slot #3&#41; ^1M^7cSteve
&#91;From #3 9c30&#40;VALID&#58;1&#41; ^1M^7cSteve&#93; cg_autoReload = "0"
Lost Connection &#40;slot #3&#41; 568ed8853b2bf1684760a997a25d9c30&#40;VALID&#58;1&#41; ^1M^7cSteve
Everything worked nicely with that guid I created today, but a quick glance at a cross-section of log-files from my server suggested that this was the exception rather than the rule. I'm not about to sit down and count up all the clients that did and did not get their guidages reported, but after a few minutes of string-searching "Lost Connection" in a typical log-file it appears that guidages are coming back in somewhere less than 10% of cases.

Player GUID Computed xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxe42eec7b&#40;-&#41; &#40;slot #4&#41;  ^7Dozy
&#91;From #3 ec7b&#40;?&#41; ^7Dozy&#93; ui_connecting = "0"
Lost Connection &#40;slot #3&#41;  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxe42eec7b&#40;?&#41; ^7Dozy
I do admire server admins who spend time trying to provide an enjoyable gaming environment for others, so credit to you for doing so. Maybe your server has a higher success with guidage calculations and if it helps to keep your games cheater and lamer-free then by all means keep using it. However, PB guidages may not be totally broken, but they are most certainly not fully-functional. Face it, if they worked properly Evenbalance would have enabled the cvar long ago.
Deus

Post by Deus »

When you connect to a server the guidage is reported/calculated/whatevered, but after a mapchange it is gone.
you can get it back by "/reconnect"ing manually, but this sucks.
McSteve

Post by McSteve »

Deus wrote:When you connect to a server the guidage is reported/calculated/whatevered, but after a mapchange it is gone.
you can get it back by "/reconnect"ing manually, but this sucks.
The main problem in all of this is that the guidage is not always calculated immediately on connect, nor often (on my server anyway) after a reasonable period of time. In the 1st example above you can see that my guidage was not reported immediately, but was present in a cvar scan shortly after and on disconnect. The 2nd example I showed shows 3 lines and none of these report the guidage. The 1st line is the initial guid calculation, the 2nd is a cvar scan taken sometime after, and the 3rd is the client disconnecting. All these were within the space of one map.

Admin_mod used to just look for the 1st of these, the "Player GUID Computed" line. The hack Luk4ward has posted on the wolfwiki searches for any log entries that come from the Punkbuster server and contain GUID and "VALID:(\d+)" expressions. My argument was that the majority of clients from my logfiles never reported a guidage at any time.
Luk4ward

Post by Luk4ward »

well McSteve i am not picking on u, what im saying is that u didnt read what i wrote before. I really like u and many times thank u for conversations&help, it wasnt like that u described (i was just asking u about the problems which i met and havent got time and/or idea to solve them). But on topic i said its possibly, but not on every servers (dunno why) and my admin mate asked evenbalance about that, they couldnt clear answered so its similar like u r saying. But i dnt agree it isnt working anymore, face the fact that the guy who made etadmin mod included such option and the pb cvar was disabled also. I wrote a tutorial on wiki also so admin can check if he got lines with valid: x in etconsole log. Believe me or not on our servers its not an exception (i tested it on 3 servers), the frequency Deus i wrote also, it depends on cvar freq and from other unclear things (for some ppl work for some not, so it depends on situation). You can check yourself guid age by simply typing: /pb_plist (or pb_sv_plist from rcon), u can get one entry or 10 entries, but its working and didnt mean that u cant reach 10 entries tomorrow really.

Cheers and pls lock this, everything was said imo
wolFTeam.pl
mazak

Post by mazak »

Hello,

As this topic is still open I would like to say couple words from my experience.
guidage is indeed gather only from about 10% of players.
Also pb_sv_plist is not getting more players with (VALID:X) entry than it's available in logs. I modified etadmin (perl) file for my server and now sometimes it really works as it should of course for those players ho has bad luck and being scanned for guid age.

I hope there is a way to force pb to gather guidage when it's needed.
And question for you guys who are dealing with guidage with evebalance...
Have you receive some clarify information about guidage returned by PB ?
I read your entries that evebalance are no longer workign on guidage, but maybe they will do something about it shortly?

regards,

Mazak
G4/G5@UPC.PL
admin
Luk4ward

Post by Luk4ward »

mazak wrote:And question for you guys who are dealing with guidage with evebalance...
Have you receive some clarify information about guidage returned by PB ?
I read your entries that evebalance are no longer workign on guidage, but maybe they will do something about it shortly?

regards,

Mazak
G4/G5@UPC.PL
admin
yes, i sent them my ideas about min guid age and the response is the same like with the rest of my support:
thank you for contribution, we will look into it...
wolFTeam.pl