ET engine source code released, ET Pro not running?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Ant

ET engine source code released, ET Pro not running?

Post by Ant »

Hi, you may already have heard, id released the source code of the ET engine. I already gave up hope, but here it is: A chance of reviving good old ET, which community seemingly shrunk drastically since ~2007, today I find it hard to find good servers with players on it.

Now to the actual matter of this topic.

I already tried to compile the engine by myself, and I actually got it to work (on Windows). So after I had seen that ET runs, naturally I wanted to check if I can run ET Pro with it. The answer is currently a 'no'. When I try to start the game (as a non-dedicated server), it replies with 'wrong version of ET.exe'. So my next step was to replace the version strings, so that at least the /version command gave the same result als the original, but this resulted in the same error.

So this is why I am posting here, in the ET Pro forum, not the ET modding forum, because when there is going to be a new founded ET engine, it is kinda a necessity to have ET Pro running on it.

So my question is: What can be done about this?

And by the way, there are currently two projects announced, modifying/enhancing the ET engine, one is 'ioWolf:ET' from the ioQuake3 team, another is 'ET-XreaL', where XreaL is a fantastic graphic renderer, replacing the Quake3 one. I guess it would be possible to merge those projects into one, if they ever get far, becoming the 'new ET', but this is just speculation of me.

Here are the references for those projects:

- http://ioquake3.org/2010/08/12/welcome- ... lfenstein/

- http://xreal-project.net/?p=362

P.S.: Maybe I'm making this problem bigger than it is, since I didn't try to much to make it work, maybe it has a very simple solution, but if not: Raise your voices, gods of ET Pro! :D
Burneddi

Post by Burneddi »

I'm quite sure the only way to get it work is to make a version of ETPro without the built-in anticheat. Not that the ETPro anticheat really mattered anymore, though, as it was bypassed ages ago, and we already have SLAC for a competition anticheat (and that ESL Wire thing is in the works).

I talked on the IRC channel about it some time ago, and they said that they have been thinking of releasing an open-source version of ETPro without the anticheat code. If that happens, then I'm sure we can get some life in this game's developement.