custom map uploads

Discussion for Admins of ETPro/BayonET servers.
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

tussin

custom map uploads

Post by tussin »

I was running all my maps and configs out of etmain, this was working ok but some users seemed to get stuckin a download loop. So to fix this I moved all my maps and configs over to etpro.

Now my problem is whenever a user connect it uploads every custom map in my etpro dir, maps that are not in the current campain or going to be played ie. trick jump maps that are there for slow nights.

I use Http redirct

Is there any way to make it so etpro only uploads the maps for the current campain only, this seems to be the way it was working when I ran my maps out of etmain.

thanks in advance :)

edit - after reading some of the replies I thought I should add this

If I want to have compitition game on server players will have to download everything in the etpro folder.

The b_campaignFile cvar seems to work ok but I want to add maps and remove them frequently. Having to editing the script file in my campain pk3 every to add a map is a pain.

Well I guess I could put my maps back in the etmain fold, just need to find out a way to fix the dl loop bug, and the 999 ping on connect.
Last edited by tussin on Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nihilist

Post by nihilist »

All the .pk3's in the /etpro/ directory on a server, will be required by the client.
ReyalP

Re: custom map uploads

Post by ReyalP »

tussin wrote: So to fix this I moved all my maps and configs over to etpro.
You should only put etpro specific things in etpro. Putting files in etpro is not likely to be a solution to the looping download problem in any case.
send lawyers, guns and money
tussin

Really ?

Post by tussin »

Really ? From what I have read, the etpro folder is checked first, then if the file is not found it looks in the etmain folder. This is of course only when running etpro.
ReyalP

Re: Really ?

Post by ReyalP »

tussin wrote:Really ? From what I have read, the etpro folder is checked first, then if the file is not found it looks in the etmain folder. This is of course only when running etpro.
Yes, but having the files installed in etmain is not the cause of the looping problem, and as you can see, having the files in etpro is causing you problems. The looping download error has some other cause (there are several possible. One is that the file on www doesn't match what is on the server. Another possible one is having too many .pk3 files total on the server.) If moving the files seemed to fix it, that is most likely coincidence.
send lawyers, guns and money
JMR

Post by JMR »

The most common cause of the "looping DL" is that your redirect server is sending PK3s as plain text. Ths causes them to have a different checksum than those on the game server, which in turn causes the client to repeatedly DL the same files.

Fix it by making sure your web server always sends pk3s as binary, regardless of what the client requests.

A simple call to your host or email to them will fix it.
tussin

I have full control of my server

Post by tussin »

How do I check if my server is sending files in plain text, and if so how do I change it?
DG

Post by DG »

try downloading via a FTP client and check what it says in the status window
tussin

Post by tussin »

After testing in the ftp server it says it is uploaded in binary 8 bit mode.

for the most part the downloads seem to be redirected 80% of the time.

Another problem I have come across with the custom maps is if a player downloads the map and joins during warmup. The player is able to kill a few temates and chat, but as soon as the match starts et crashes for the player. On my side I see his ping go to 999 and eventually pb kicks the player for no packet flow. If the player comes back after the crash he is able to play the map no problem. Anyone know why this is ?
Deus

Post by Deus »

etmain download bug
needs official game update to be fixed
deej

Post by deej »

[pH*Deus] wrote:etmain download bug
needs official game update to be fixed
Read: will never happen so we're stuck with it ;).
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem