r_wolffog and r_zfar

Discussion for Admins of ETPro/BayonET servers.
If you don't run a server, please don't post here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Dersaidin

Post by Dersaidin »

I only used Stalingrad to test if the fog distance and default r_zfar distance changed per map. Stalingrad was the next foggy map I thought of.

I think that
command "forcecvar r_wolffog 0"
command "sv_cvar r_zfar EQ 0"
would be good, because its a large boost in fps in exchange for what? Game doesnt look as good? Well, personally I think it looks better, and almost everyone tweaks the graphics down to look realy bad anyway.
McNite

Post by McNite »

because its a large boost in fps
That totally depends on the map, the place you are in in the map, and your computer. Some testing on radar gave us only improvements of 7 to 15 fps, and that s nothing.
And using stalingrad as an example for testing is really... a bit funny. Why not use Radar? Or Railgun? They r well mapped at least.
The Necromancer

Post by The Necromancer »

Dersaidin wrote: command "forcecvar r_wolffog 0"
command "sv_cvar r_zfar EQ 0"
= \disconnect
Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
EagleReloaded

Post by EagleReloaded »

7-15 fps is nothing?
Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul.
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

Giving original FPS when talking about FPS increase makes the numbers worth looking at.

7-15 FPS is massive if you're currently sitting on ~45 FPS - it's around 25%, and will make an impact.

The same FPS increase if you're sitting on ~ 120 is only around 10%, and the gameplay difference'd be negligible.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

dA*Rogue wrote:Giving original FPS when talking about FPS increase makes the numbers worth looking at.

7-15 FPS is massive if you're currently sitting on ~45 FPS - it's around 25%, and will make an impact.

The same FPS increase if you're sitting on ~ 120 is only around 10%, and the gameplay difference'd be negligible.
unless your about 10fps under one of the magic numbers
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Spoofeh

Post by Spoofeh »

Some of the FPS differences reported are based on timedemos, so they will be smaller when actually playing. Besides, increasing average FPS by 15 does not mean that minimum FPS (which is more important) is increased at all.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

OTOH, r_wolffog does have a big impact, especially on low end cards.

ISTR when I had a gf2, it gave me about 50% more in the worst areas of radar :nag:

edit:
that is in game too, not timedemo.
send lawyers, guns and money
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

gotenks wrote:
dA*Rogue wrote:Giving original FPS when talking about FPS increase makes the numbers worth looking at.

unless your about 10fps under one of the magic numbers
Why do the magic numbers effect anything? They don't impact jumping etc anymore...
Dersaidin

Post by Dersaidin »

They're still magical :D
But magic or no (aww), as everyone has said, 10 - 15 fps can make a difference. Especialy to low end cards.
Why not use Radar?
I did use radar.
I only used stalingrad to see if r_zfar changes per map. It does.
McNite

Post by McNite »

to see if r_zfar changes per map. It does.
Of course it does... its built into the map? :roll: :roll: :roll:
hiro

Post by hiro »

It strikes me as a bit odd that at this point in the game's life cycle there is suddenly much concern for low end users.

Did I miss something and now everyone downgrades their pc rather than upgrades?
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

bottom line: fog serves no purpose other than to beautify maps which are made ugly by most users anyway.

@mappers: release plenty of screenshots of your map with full eye-candy, because that's likely the only time most players will see it as you intended.

this harsh lesson brought to you by Players For The Ethical Treatment Of Framerates.
deej

Post by deej »

ouroboro wrote:this harsh lesson brought to you by Players For The Ethical Treatment Of Framerates.

The Players For Maximum Eyecandy oppose this lesson and dismiss it as pure propaganda :lol:
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

deej wrote:
ouroboro wrote:this harsh lesson brought to you by Players For The Ethical Treatment Of Framerates.

The Players For Maximum Eyecandy oppose this lesson and dismiss it as pure propaganda :lol:
hehe 8) :crazy: :axisengineer: