Possible bug in 3.0.1 with persistent pk3 files.

Discussion for any ET/ETPro/BayonET bugs or cheats you find...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Deadhead_DMT

Possible bug in 3.0.1 with persistent pk3 files.

Post by Deadhead_DMT »

I recently started noticing an advertisement appearing on my CONNECTION SCREEN each and everytime that I went into an ET game. It didn't matter what server I went into, nor did it matter what mod the server was running. The advertisement for the GMC-CLAN.DE (an alteration of the camp_map.jpg) persisted indefinitely.

I literally spent several hours un-zipping the PK3 files from my ETMAIN into a temporary directory (of which there are very many, since I do a lot of new map testing), and pouring through the images for the culprit image. I finally replaced the ETMAIN with a skeleton copy that I keep on hand, and the problem STILL persisted, so that was when I knew it was in the ETPRO directory instead.

My understanding of PK3 files is that they should only have effect for the game that they are called. The new "mapscriptdirectory" variable allows us to have other PK3 files in the ETMAIN directory, WITHOUT having the gamer having to download/use them each and every time, but I don't think, or at least know of, a parallel variable for the ETPRO side of the game. As a result the culprit PK3 file was always and continually being called into play.

Does the ETPRO side of the game have a corresponding "mapscriptdirectory" variable to help limit the PK3 files that are called from the ETPRO directory, or have I discovered a BUG!?

As a secondary question.... Should map files be downloaded into the ETPRO directory (I notice that I have some there), or should the general practice be to download all maps into the ETMAIN? Please advise.