heavy fps drops @ radeon 9800 pro

Discussion for any ET/ETPro/BayonET bugs or cheats you find...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Che

Post by Che »

[pH*Deus] wrote:do you have nforce chipset?
if yes try a update or a downgrade.
a freind of mine had this a while ago.
After updating the nforce he had worse fps some time.

grading down back to his old one did the job.
no, its no nforce chipset >:

And I tried other games. With the result, that most of em run pretty neat. Like hl² and DOOM III. Just in css (dont beat me up :>) i got some fps probs as well. But this is due to cfg probs I think.

Due to the fact that I am activeley playing in a clan, I need to fix this. Plz dont tell me there´s nothing to do... >:
:/
RoadKillPuppy

Post by RoadKillPuppy »

Don't know by hard but are those games dx instead of opengl?
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

hl2 is. d3 is gl
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
next_ghost

Post by next_ghost »

Che

Post by Che »

except r_mode 3 ( me is using r_mode 6 on a 21" screen) i use the settings suggested in this thread.

new shocking fps drops ;)
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

oh well, i tried to help. what you have to remember is, fps while just running around can be ~30 without problems, what's important is how low it drops IN A FIGHT. the higher you can raise that lowermost threshold, the better.

in other words, unless you're into trickjumping, your MAX fps is less important than your MINIMUM fps. the more you can turn off during a gunfight, the better chance you have of surviving it. and i'm willing to bet you didn't suffer lower performance when it really counts using my suggestions. also you omitted r_mode which is the most important one (i realize 640 looks like ass though). ALSO, with cg_drawgun off, you CAN get lower fps, depending on what is being drawn that would otherwise be hidden by your weapon. in other words, if you stand in one spot with the gun on, then turn it off, maybe there's an item behind the gun that's even more complex than the gun is, so your fps drops. but over the course of a game it will be slightly better on average with the gun off, because the gun is always drawn (or not drawn), while items behind it come and go and change.

oh and there's no included demo in et so people can have some kind of uniform tool to use as a comparative benchmark for timedemos. but you could record your own demo for 5 minutes or so and use it to compare config changes. i use one i made on radar for that purpose. just spectate on a random crappy server full of newbies and spam on a laggy map - perfect for the job. i just save that demo and use it to compare changes i make.
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
Che

Post by Che »

yeah, i got your point.
but in my case i guess, its the gfx card which is not working pretty good with my crappy mainboard (asrock; dont hit me too hard).
a few days ago I used my old GF Ti 4200 and didnt get these fps drops. iIeven ran my system with 512 less MB of RAM.

And yeah, my fps drop in infights as well. But its more sporadically and not predictable.

Thx 4 all of your help. I appreciate it very much. Even if my problem is still unsolved (yet?) :>
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Hmmm, that is pretty low FPS for that sysem. The spot you took the screenshot from is one of the worst ones on oasis (~30k r_speeds) but I get about 50fps (on an empty server, it will be much less on a full one) there with a GF3 and Athlon XP1600. Unless something is terribly wrong, you shouldn't be GPU limited at all with a 9800. ET is surprisingly limited by CPU/FSB/Memory speed

Have you tried different values of AGP Fast Writes (either in your video card control panel, or BIOS) ? A know a friend had horrible problems with his ATI card until this was turned off.
send lawyers, guns and money
Imbroglio

Post by Imbroglio »

Che wrote:a few days ago I used my old GF Ti 4200
not to be a pain in the ass, but my bro went from nvidia to ati and had similar problems to what is occurring for you, no driver cleaner programs or anything helped out, after a complete format and re-installation of only the ati drivers he was finally headed down the right path, one more thing, pay close attention to the bugs in the ATI drivers, i know with cat4.10s they had a huge problem with ogl games, i don't which ati drivers currently run the best on ogl games, but then again that sounds like a rage3d forum q :wink:
Till DEATH do us Part
Che

Post by Che »

i am using the catalyst 4.9. right now cause i was told its the best for ogl games. but it changed nothing at all.

and i tried different agp setteings as well. the strange thing is, that i got the same fps when agp is totally disabled. how does that come?

in my opinion its the crappy mobo which causes the problems cause it makes the memory acting very slowly. i got 488 MB/s (writing) and 1571 MB/s (reading) benchmarking the RAM. these values are quite awful i guess.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Che wrote: and i tried different agp setteings as well. the strange thing is, that i got the same fps when agp is totally disabled. how does that come?
All your textures should fit in video card memory with a 128 meg (or better) card, so AGP speed shouldn't going to make a huge difference. The reason to turn fastwrites off is that it is often buggy.
in my opinion its the crappy mobo which causes the problems cause it makes the memory acting very slowly.
This is possible. In which case, you should look for BIOS and motherboard driver tweaks/upgrades. ET is quite heavy on memory/bus bandwidth, especially in places like the screenshot you posted. But that wouldn't explain why your FPS were better with the old card, unless the new one is forcing things to slow down somehow :?

Hmmm, you added RAM at the same time. Have you tried taking the new stick out ? It doesn't seem like it should make much difference, but that is the other thing that has changed.
send lawyers, guns and money
RoadKillPuppy

Post by RoadKillPuppy »

Also, punkbuster released an update recently, can you try with pb on/off (running out of options/ideas here)...
Che

Post by Che »

SCDS_reyalP wrote:
Che wrote:

Hmmm, you added RAM at the same time. Have you tried taking the new stick out ? It doesn't seem like it should make much difference, but that is the other thing that has changed.
i tried it with just having the old 512 MB stick installed. no changes at all...

and i also tried non pb servers. same fps drops here.

i think thats it for me. bb et. was a nice time. but now its over :violin: :violin: :violin:
wipeout

Post by wipeout »

Do you have DirectX 9.0c installed?
I have heard of so many ppl having problems with dx9.0c, having bad performance, freezes, etc...
After "uninstalling" dx9.0c and switching back to 9.0b their problems disappeared.
Actually I'm having the same problem since reinstalling Windows and directly installing 9.0c but unfortunately I get errors when trying to uninstall them (tried it with this one: http://www.3dcenter.de/downloads/direct ... taller.php ; so I'm stuck with them till my next format). And its really hard to get a constant 76fps which I used to get before :(
So maybe it could be because of dx9.0c.
Although it doesnt fit with this comment:
a few days ago I used my old GF Ti 4200 and didnt get these fps drops. iIeven ran my system with 512 less MB of RAM.
:\
i am using the catalyst 4.9. right now cause i was told its the best for ogl games. but it changed nothing at all.
imho the best are/were 3.10. No Frame freezes/lags. Just good performance.
But the latest 4.12 are really good, better performance, some optimizations and with the omega version these optimizations are allready activated and getting some more fps out of my machine :)[/quote][/url]
Rivazza

Post by Rivazza »

Well, its true that q3opengl games are mostly cpu restricted. But it`s an well-known fact that gforce cards have superb opengl drivers. I have a r9800 xt as well and although I get some pretty good performanc I still have fpsdrops to the 90`s and the whole game doesnt seem to play fluid.
On the other hand, games like ut2004demo(d3d) play extreme fluid on my comp.

Conclusion: If you really want to experience ubersmooth/fluid gameplay on the most q3opengl games; buy a gforce card.

Gforce: Perfect opengl - medium/high d3d
Radeon: medium opengl - Uberd3d.