poor FPS issues in 3.0.x

Discussion for any ET/ETPro/BayonET bugs or cheats you find...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

CY-senator

Post by CY-senator »

I don't know whwther this is related to the FPS problem but I just did a test, joined a random ETPro server, got into a spawnrape scene at RailGun and got around 20 FPS, sometimes dropping as low as 10FPS (yes, old CPU). But aiming felt a lot worse that the FPS indicated, if felt as if my computer was only rendering 3 FPS or something, really choppy feeling. Than I went Spec, flew to the same position, got approx the same FPS (~20) but flying around and turning felt a whole lot smoother!
The question is why, because my computer had to draw the exact same amount of graphics (except the HUD) and as I said, the FPS stayed roughly the same but the handling became a whole lot better.
SwERvE

Post by SwERvE »

Ever since I lost my video card and was forced to play with the old one I too have noticed this problem. Specator and freelook (when I have been shot) feels much smoother than the rest of the game play. The FPS don't change but there is a noticable visual difference and my aim feels like it has dropped by over 50%. However, it only seems like this is a problem with older cpus and/or video cards as when I played with my older cpu and a good video card I saw no problems.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

bani wrote:is there anyone who can consistently get poor fps on the quaketheism server 69.93.136.70:27969 vs etpro 2.0.7 ?

if so, i'd like to schedule a test session to debug where the fps performance problems are coming from.
no volunteers yet?
SwERvE

Post by SwERvE »

D'oh, I'll jump on the test server but I believe my poor FPS come from funny page-file settings and an old video card.
64bit

Post by 64bit »

im not sure if there a command like sv_fps "20" have to do with it. I know it can control pings higher and lowering
meLonF

Post by meLonF »

Okay, bani i have tested on two different servers:

First was a german server running ET pro 2.0.7 (213.133.100.69:27960)
Second was the server you suggesting running a bugfix version of 3.0.1 (69.93.136.70:27969)

Both servers were completely empty at the time and i tried to take screenshots in the exact same spots (obviously using hte same config setup for my cfg)

2.0.7 i got 125 almost all the time with it dipping occassionally to 105-110 fps

on the 3.0.1 server i got 125 less frequently and it dipped as low as 70-80 fps

took a few screenshots from set points on the maps to try and show the fps difference

Server running 2.0.7

Server running 3.0.1

Server running 2.0.7

Server running 3.0.1
V6.Sven

Post by V6.Sven »

Test on the same empthy serverers as meLonF:

ET pro 2.0.7 (213.133.100.69:27960)
3.0.1 (69.93.136.70:27969) (-7 pfs)
Image[/img]
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

i just had an odd experience... standing right in front of a wall looking into it, i had 125 fps... now when i pressed forward, thus hitting an obstruction, my fps dropped to 80.

on another note, taking screenshots under the same conditions as sven and melonf i got a ~10 fps difference.
mchl

Post by mchl »

I got the same problem on a server et pro 2.0.7 i got 111 fps
On a server whit et pro 3.0.1 I got 59 fps =/
#mchl on quakenet
christa

Post by christa »

if i run a default cfg the FPS drops is playable.

p4 2.4ghz
Ram: 512 DDR 3500
grapiccard: gf4 4600

I suspect it some of the r_ commands that fucks up the FPS drops, but i have tested each command i usually use and i couldnt tell what was wrong.
pigfather

Post by pigfather »

Hey,

I wasn 't sure how to test this thing, so I went for a couple of walks around the old city at oasis both on a 2.0.7 and 3.0.1 server. Started out at the flag, went towards the stairs leading down to the allied command post, turning left half way down and so on.

On the 2.0.7 server my max fps was 164, my absolute minimum was 84 but mostly the drops only went to about 90.
On the 3.0.1 server my max fps was 125, absolute minimum was 81, but again mostly didn't go below about 85.

Besides the obvious lower framerate I can 't say the framedrops were more frequently on any of the servers.

Don't know if this matters, but for this test I didn 't use max_fps. But when my frames are limited too 76fps, I hardly ever get a steady framerate and I very often have drops to 65. This is most likely because this test was done on empty servers, but you never know right.

bb
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

pigfather wrote:Don't know if this matters, but for this test I didn 't use max_fps. But when my frames are limited too 76fps, I hardly ever get a steady framerate and I very often have drops to 65. This is most likely because this test was done on empty servers, but you never know right.
Interesting..... ;)

Dunno if you noticed my post on page2 of this thread - but I solved my fps issues by settings com_maxfps 2000 in my config. Have a read, are you getting the same pattern as me? (worse fps drops the lower the com_maxfps setting)
Lagger

Post by Lagger »

i just tried setting "com_maxfps 0" on oasis and i get 150-300 fps :>>>> best fix evah!!!! i say fuck the trickjumpers this rocks!
eclipse+

Post by eclipse+ »

I cap mine at 76, and it's constant. I don't have a problem.
::Amish World Order::#awo @gamesurge.net::http://www.amishworldorder.org
pigfather

Post by pigfather »

Lagger wrote:i just tried setting "com_maxfps 0" on oasis and i get 150-300 fps :>>>> best fix evah!!!! i say fuck the trickjumpers this rocks!
com_maxfps 0 = unlimited. But I thought I read somewhere that in either standard pb settings or clanbase settings, this is prohibited... there's only one way to find out :wink: have fun!